Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing failed HPWC gen 1 with gen 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking for step by step instructions (or video) for replacing failed HPWC (High Power Wall Connector) Gen 1 for a new HPWC Gen 3.

Any tips? or Lessons learned?

The HPWC gen 1 is hard wired into a 100 amp circuit.

Have spent 20 minutes searching so not easy to find. Hopefully next person will find this thread.

Last edited:
Since you have an X that can apparently use pretty high charging current, do you really want to go down to the crummy worse charging power of Tesla's new wall connector? You can get a Clipper Creek unit to go on that 100A circuit to keep your 80A charging current.

Is the wire rated for a 100amp circuit? I asked because at 25ft you would need #1 gauge wire and I can't imagine that size wire fitting in the lug nuts of the HPWC. If this is a 100amp subpanel with a 60amp circuit for the HPWC that's different.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Is the wire rated for a 100amp circuit? I asked because at 25ft you would need #1 gauge wire and I can't imagine that size wire fitting in the lug nuts of the HPWC. If this is a 100amp subpanel with a 60amp circuit for the HPWC that's different.
Yeah, I forgot to even mention this before. On the old Gen1 wall connector he said he is replacing, they were already made to use wires that thick. On the new Gen3, I don't think they could even take that, so @DaveWaterloo would have to transition that with a subpanel or something just to get thinner wires down to a 60A circuit anyway for the Gen3 wall connector.

I didn't know the older models went up that high. It makes sense that they changed it, if you plug your car in overnight on an 80amp circuit or a 50amp circuit it's going to get charged even if you were at 0% (very unlikely) and went to 100% (which you wouldn't go to). That way it's cheaper wire and easier to work with.

I didn't know the older models went up that high. It makes sense that they changed it,
Well yes, the Gen1 and 2 wall connectors were bulletproof and awesome. But I don't see why they changed it. The Gen3 was a piece of garbage when Tesla replaced the Gen2 with the 3 for the same $500 price!
1. Only 60A instead of 100A max circuit size
2. 18 foot cord instead of 24 foot
3. No circuit sharing, when the Gen2 had already had that implemented for years.

It was the most pathetic debut of an unfinished product I've ever seen. Since then, Tesla has fixed some of those things. They finally got circuit sharing implemented years later, and just very recently got a 24 foot cord version available, but that was cleaning up the pile of dog $#&^ they put out there with that sub-standard product that replaced something great.

if you plug your car in overnight on an 80amp circuit or a 50amp circuit it's going to get charged even if you were at 0% (very unlikely) and went to 100% (which you wouldn't go to).
But that faster charging is important for some people, because frequently it's NOT overnight. They are having to get home, have the car recharge for a few hours before someone is taking it out again, and that speed matters.

• Disagree
Reactions: kayak1
I am looking for step by step instructions (or video) for replacing failed HPWC (High Power Wall Connector) Gen 1 for a new HPWC Gen 3.

Any tips? or Lessons learned?

The HPWC gen 1 is hard wired into a 100 amp circuit.

Have spent 20 minutes searching so not easy to find. Hopefully next person will find this thread.
Try to find a used/new Gen 1 or Gen 2. Then replace only what needs replacing. Any idea what is wrong with your current one?

How did it go? My gen-1 HPWC just crapped out. I think it might be the handle, as I have a green light on the unit. Car says ‘external equipment not supplying power to car’.

Just ordered Gen 3, currently mobile charging on 2 cars - fun! :)

Any lessons learned on the replacement? Do I have to replace the 100amp breaker with a 60amp breaker? Did you have to run a new, smaller gauge wire from the breaker to the charger? Is the mounting hardware different?

Thanks!

A24F5745-39E5-405A-BAFE-D288A2C2F6FD.jpeg

Last edited:
How did it go? My gen-1 HPWC just crapped out. I think it might be the handle, as I have a green light on the unit. Car says ‘external equipment not supplying power to car’.

Just ordered Gen 3, currently mobile charging on 2 cars - fun! :)

Any lessons learned on the replacement? Do I have to replace the 100amp breaker with a 60amp breaker? Did you have to run a new, smaller gauge wire from the breaker to the charger? Is the mounting hardware different?

Thanks!

View attachment 753742
As mentioned above, your 1ga wires will not fit into the Gen3 terminal block. Your best bet is to find a used Gen2 (or new unused, check the for sale forum here) to keep the higher charging rate and it will be a simple swap (disconnect wiring from old charger, unbolt from wall and then reverse with the new unit).

If you are ok with dropping to 48A max then you will need to install a 100A subpanel before the charger with a 60A breaker and 4ga wire in conduit from the subpanel to the Gen3. This will give you the flexibility to add additional circuits for other uses, including an additional Gen3 if you needed 2 chargers.

• Helpful
Reactions: CraigS and Rocky_H
As mentioned above, your 1ga wires will not fit into the Gen3 terminal block. Your best bet is to find a used Gen2 (or new unused, check the for sale forum here) to keep the higher charging rate and it will be a simple swap (disconnect wiring from old charger, unbolt from wall and then reverse with the new unit).

If you are ok with dropping to 48A max then you will need to install a 100A subpanel before the charger with a 60A breaker and 4ga wire in conduit from the subpanel to the Gen3. This will give you the flexibility to add additional circuits for other uses, including an additional Gen3 if you needed 2 chargers.

Thanks, I appreciate it. Gen 3 just arrived. I assume I can replace the 100a breaker that is installed on the bus now with a 60a breaker and then replace the wire going to the breaker with a smaller gauge. My first P85 came with dual chargers, it was cool, but I never really "needed" the charging that fast. I'm on my 5th Tesla now, seems like the last few only charged at 48a on the gen-1 set up anyway. Does that sound right?

Anyway, thanks again!
-C

Thanks, I appreciate it. Gen 3 just arrived. I assume I can replace the 100a breaker that is installed on the bus now with a 60a breaker and then replace the wire going to the breaker with a smaller gauge. My first P85 came with dual chargers, it was cool, but I never really "needed" the charging that fast. I'm on my 5th Tesla now, seems like the last few only charged at 48a on the gen-1 set up anyway. Does that sound right?

Anyway, thanks again!
-C
Yes, you can do that. What is the current wiring? Thhn in conduit or something else in wall? You’ll need 4ga copper to match With the 60A breaker.

And yes, all current Teslas are only capable of 48A max which is why the Gen3 only provides that much output.

Reactions: CraigS

Anyway, thanks again!
-C
Another option to consider is to replace the dead HPWC with a new subpanel and then run a short, lower powered circuit from that to the new Gen 3 unit. This could be cheaper and/or easier to do as you wouldn't have to replace wiring, plus it might give you some added options for future possibilities, e.g. a second Gen 3 unit or other higher powered outlets in the garage.

Reactions: CraigS and Rocky_H
Another option to consider is to replace the dead HPWC with a new subpanel and then run a short, lower powered circuit from that to the new Gen 3 unit. This could be cheaper and/or easier to do as you wouldn't have to replace wiring, plus it might give you some added options for future possibilities, e.g. a second Gen 3 unit or other higher powered outlets in the garage.
Makes sense. That’s the route I’m going. Thanks!!