Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing my wife's car with an EV?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

kelvin 660

White SR+ with LFP battery
Aug 21, 2020
Stonehouse
We bought my wife's Yaris, 7 years ago. It was 1 year old and had 9,000 on the clock and t cost £8,990. It now has 30,000 miles on the clock and WBA bought the car for £8,000. So that's only £990 depreciation, unlike my Tesla model 3 that has lost £20,000 in 3 years! Only local servicing and MOT's have been required that have cost on average £140/year and there has been no other failures. Oh, and insurance has been less than £200/year.

As my wife has just been gifted a red 2019 Yaris, from her dad, however she did not like the colour, we decided to part-ex the car against a 2 year old black Yaris MK4, that was on sale for £17,490.

I picked the new car up yesterday and drove it home, down the motorway using the adaptive cruise control and the steering assist (Auto Pilot). I have to say, it performed as well as my Tesla, except without any nags or phantom braking. OK, the steering assist isn't as forcefully as the Tesla system, taking a few second to "lock in", but changing lanes was a breeze, without the bongs, etc. Also the car comes with auto lights, auto dipped lights, working auto wipers, etc, etc... and the build quality is top notch! Additionally, Android Auto (with a WIFI dongle) works great saving £9.99/month for premium connectivity.

I am now hopping that we get another 7 years, cheap motoring, out of this car and that it will be worth ~£17,000, when we come to sell it...

So why didn't we get a second EV, as there are plenty available (+700) at that price point on Auto Trader and we already have a charger fitted? Well,
  1. I can't see EV's depreciating less than an ICE car anytime soon, mainly due to the concern about battery life and the 8 year warranty period. You are always going to lose money on an EV, unless you are a high mileage driver.
  2. We probably will give this new car to one of our kids, in a few years time. None of them can afford to buy a house (or really run a car) and they have to live in places that don't lend themselves to having a charger fitted, like flats, house of multiple occupancy, etc. and it will be difficult for them to charge an EV.
  3. My wife only drives 2,000-3,000 miles a year, and at 60+ mpg the fuel will only cost ~£350/year, so there are not many savings to be had running an EV that would counteract the steep depreciation curve.
  4. Lastly, I think my wife will not have the patience, or foresight, to charge the car, once or twice a week. So she will be nagging me, when the car is low on charge and she needs to go somewhere...
In fact, one of my neighbours said, "That's probably the last car you wife will need." She is 64, and the car will certainly last 20+ years...

Reactions: Type2 and fholbert
  1. Lastly, I think my wife will not have the patience, or foresight, to charge the car, once or twice a week. So she will be nagging me, when the car is low on charge and she needs to go somewhere...

Does your wife never plug in your EV?

In general, this one is actually really easy to deal with.
You start by always plugging in so plugging in becomes a habit.
Then, once it is, you change it to checking the battery level when you get home and plug in if you need a charge before the next use.

The key times where I've not plugged in and should have are where I wasn't told that the car needed to be plugged in.

Last edited:
Reactions: father_of_6
Lastly, I think my wife will not have the patience, or foresight, to charge the car, once or twice a week. So she will be nagging me, when the car is low on charge and she needs to go somewhere...
In general, this one is actually really easy to deal with.
You start by always plugging in so plugging in becomes a habit.

Yeah, this is a manufactured issue. It's like saying... "I don't want to buy my wife a gas car because she won't have the patience or foresight to drive to the gas station and fill up the tank."

Except it's worse - because you're implying that she won't have the patience to plug it in where it's parked every night but she *will* have the patience to drive out of her way to a gas station where shady characters are buying alcohol and cigarettes, then navigate the gas pump's payment system while breathing toxic fumes.

Have fun standing there in the middle of Winter during 80mph winds.

Yeah, this is a manufactured issue. It's like saying... "I don't want to buy my wife a gas car because she won't have the patience or foresight to drive to the gas station and fill up the tank."

Except it's worse - because you're implying that she won't have the patience to plug it in where it's parked every night but she *will* have the patience to drive out of her way to a gas station where shady characters are buying alcohol and cigarettes, then navigate the gas pump's payment system while breathing toxic fumes.

OP is in Gloucestershire, UK. Not that cold and not that windy.

Diversion is more of a problem with an EV than a gasoline car though due to the time cost of DCFC and more limited refueling infrastructure.

Reactions: father_of_6
*** Anyone who has actually owned an EV with real range (e.g. a Tesla, not a Gen 1 Leaf) knows that home charging is one of the biggest benefits.

The more I read this post, the more I'm starting to doubt it's authenticity / sincerity.
The only thing odd about the post is that they're anticipating 7 years in advance that their children will want a Yaris and will live in an MDU where they can't charge.

Have fun standing in the rain. 😜
Gas pumps have roofs because people stand pumping gas.

For road trips, sure. For local daily driving... no way.
I meant in the case that they had forgotten to charge. Gas station infrastructure and refueling speed allow people to drive without much thought
BEVs currently require you to think 1 step ahead. (It's not onerous, but not doing so can catch you out.)

The more I read this post, the more I'm starting to doubt it's authenticity / sincerity.

It’s amazing that one of the first things that people question when something is bringing up an alternative point of view that clearly works for them, is the sincerity/authentication of a well known and respected member.

What’s up with either just acknowledging that people might not want to, or are able to do the same as others or simply not replying rather than taking the paranoid everyone is out to get Tesla/EV approach and falsely calling BS.

Last edited:
We bought my wife's Yaris, 7 years ago. It was 1 year old and had 9,000 on the clock and t cost £8,990. It now has 30,000 miles on the clock and WBA bought the car for £8,000. So that's only £990 depreciation, unlike my Tesla model 3 that has lost £20,000 in 3 years! Only local servicing and MOT's have been required that have cost on average £140/year and there has been no other failures. Oh, and insurance has been less than £200/year.

As my wife has just been gifted a red 2019 Yaris, from her dad, however she did not like the colour, we decided to part-ex the car against a 2 year old black Yaris MK4, that was on sale for £17,490.

I picked the new car up yesterday and drove it home, down the motorway using the adaptive cruise control and the steering assist (Auto Pilot). I have to say, it performed as well as my Tesla, except without any nags or phantom braking. OK, the steering assist isn't as forcefully as the Tesla system, taking a few second to "lock in", but changing lanes was a breeze, without the bongs, etc. Also the car comes with auto lights, auto dipped lights, working auto wipers, etc, etc... and the build quality is top notch! Additionally, Android Auto (with a WIFI dongle) works great saving £9.99/month for premium connectivity.

I am now hopping that we get another 7 years, cheap motoring, out of this car and that it will be worth ~£17,000, when we come to sell it...

So why didn't we get a second EV, as there are plenty available (+700) at that price point on Auto Trader and we already have a charger fitted? Well,
  1. I can't see EV's depreciating less than an ICE car anytime soon, mainly due to the concern about battery life and the 8 year warranty period. You are always going to lose money on an EV, unless you are a high mileage driver.
  2. We probably will give this new car to one of our kids, in a few years time. None of them can afford to buy a house (or really run a car) and they have to live in places that don't lend themselves to having a charger fitted, like flats, house of multiple occupancy, etc. and it will be difficult for them to charge an EV.
  3. My wife only drives 2,000-3,000 miles a year, and at 60+ mpg the fuel will only cost ~£350/year, so there are not many savings to be had running an EV that would counteract the steep depreciation curve.
  4. Lastly, I think my wife will not have the patience, or foresight, to charge the car, once or twice a week. So she will be nagging me, when the car is low on charge and she needs to go somewhere...
In fact, one of my neighbours said, "That's probably the last car you wife will need." She is 64, and the car will certainly last 20+ years...
Wow, I just bought a Model Y and tried to give my wife the 2017 Ford Escape. She didn't go for that....haha. You are fortunate that you have a wife that is OK with a Yaris while you drive a nice Tesla.

Now drive a Tesla MS but drove ICE for over 35 years. Never really bothered about filling up at a petrol station and must have missed the 80 mph Winter winds you've encountered. Can't understand why EV owners go on about how bad the "filling up" is for ICE owners. For 99% of the time it's a non issue.

Now drive a Tesla MS but drove ICE for over 35 years. Never really bothered about filling up at a petrol station and must have missed the 80 mph Winter winds you've encountered. Can't understand why EV owners go on about how bad the "filling up" is for ICE owners. For 99% of the time it's a non issue.
I don't understand why EV owners hate ICE owners and vice versa. It's literally just a different type of fuel that power each car. Who cares?...lol

Reactions: FBLivi
Agreed. Cost and smell aside, the process is a non issue.

Reactions: FBLivi
Never really bothered about filling up at a petrol station and must have missed the 80 mph Winter winds you've encountered. Can't understand why EV owners go on about how bad the "filling up" is for ICE owners. For 99% of the time it's a non issue.
It is an issue for me. I have both Tesla and a diesel van (and a gas motorcycle). I always feel so stupid refilling the van; but getting an electric van is expensive as there is no used electric van here to buy . I do not mind refilling the motorcycle, maybe because I haven't yet experienced an e-motorcycle (Zero is still expensive and heavy).

Reactions: UkNorthampton