Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing Tyres on Model 3 - Tesla versus Tyre store

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
there is nothing special about alignment for tesla vehicles. if you dont live in a capital city you have to go to the same tyre place other plebs have to go to (i.e. jax tires, goodyear etc).

I have never seen them mess up an alignment. when i let go off my steering wheel the car keeps just going straight forever.
I think they have to try pretty hard to mess up an alignment with modern EPS. It masks alignment errors to some extent and road camber.

My car tracks straight, so when I get jax to fit new tyres, I am not going to touch the alignment. Will likely go with the 235/45 ZR18 (98Y) PILOT SPORT simply because they area a known quantity. You guys have convinced me not to chase acoustic linings. If there is an alternative tyre that is noticeably quieter I will consider it, but there doesn't seem to be one.

Reactions: Hungry Mile
There's more to it than that though. Mine was aligned within spec, the steering wheel was straight and the car tracked straight, but the rear tyres were getting dangerous wear patterns.
Every alignment I’ve had done is soon after purchase of a new tesla when I see concerning wear. The aligner always says he has to do the alignment different to the tesla spec as its wrong. The subsequent evidence is that the aligner is correct.

Jax is good, used them before, probably depends on the Tesla experience of each individual outlet though. Most tyre shops would just plug the manufacturers specs into their alignment machines.
Regarding noise, when I did my first replacement to non acoustic lined tyres I definitely noticed an increase in noise. Not massive but it was there.

Every alignment I’ve had done is soon after purchase of a new tesla when I see concerning wear. The aligner always says he has to do the alignment different to the tesla spec as its wrong. The subsequent evidence is that the aligner is correct.
Agreed. I adjusted my rear toe to 0deg and it's almost completely eliminated the problem. Can you share your alignment specs? I'm getting an alignment done this weekend. How long have you been running on this alignment?

Reactions: muddie
Agreed. I adjusted my rear toe to 0deg and it's almost completely eliminated the problem. Can you share your alignment specs? I'm getting an alignment done this weekend. How long have you been running on this alignment?
Sorry I dont know it. The alignment was done immediatley after new 3 years ago and my wear coupled with inflation management is very consistant across all 4. I didnt ask the aligner the specs, but he informed me they were not tesla spec.

I see that the new MICHELIN Pilot Sport EV tyres are available in Australia now. Unfortunately they are only available in 19”, 20” & 21”. Not in 18”, so they won’t fit my MY20LR. If they did I would definitely be grabbing a set.

I contacted Michelin and they said they will not be providing the 18” in the future here either. Bummer.

• Informative
Reactions: Sir Surfalot
I see that the new MICHELIN Pilot Sport EV tyres are available in Australia now. Unfortunately they are only available in 19”, 20” & 21”. Not in 18”, so they won’t fit my MY20LR. If they did I would definitely be grabbing a set.

I contacted Michelin and they said they will not be providing the 18” in the future here either. Bummer.
Sounds like a grey import opportunity for Tempe.

That sounds like a dud marketing decision. Why cut one of the most popular EVs out of your market?
I looked at the link, the 20s won't fit the M3P either! 235/45R20 is the closest they get.

We got Toyo 98W Proxes C100 Plus for our model 3 SR+ and we've found improved acceleration at take off, increased road noise and a significant range drop on wet roads.

The range reduction in the wet was to the point where we dropped below 10% when attempting to travel between superchargers (150km).

Well.. tyre prices have shot up for the Michellin Pilot Sport 4's and stock appears to be a bit of a issue. Even Jax is now up to $302 per tyre Buy Tyres & Wheels Online & In Store | JAX Tyres 1300 367 897

Maybe they can price match tyresales.com.au? $266 for the PS4's (non-OEM). Or use tyresales.

So, not sure if this is in other states besides VIC but i've had orders placed with two tyre places for the Pilot Sport 4 and both cancelled saying their is supply chain issues getting stock from Michellin in Australia, in particular for the 18inch profile that the Tesla has.

For giggles I did call Tesla Service and even they don't have stock of tyres in Melb. But if you want to backorder it, the Pilot Sport 4 (with Acoustic foam) its $411.50 per tyre from them.

Anyway, one thing I did find out is there is a new Michellin tyre out for EV's which is available on special order and in stock for 18inch: Michelin ePrimacy, which is $292 per tyre, fitted and installed on sale right now till the end of the month.
Supposedly made to be very quiet, stronger sidewall and extra 7% range with its low rolling resistance, same Y speed rating. MICHELIN e·PRIMACY Summer Road Tyre

I did ask about the Michellin Sport EV and they're not coming out in 18inch.

Anyway, one thing I did find out is there is a new Michellin tyre out for EV's which is available on special order and in stock for 18inch: Michelin ePrimacy, which is $292 per tyre, fitted and installed on sale right now till the end of the month.
Supposedly made to be very quiet, stronger sidewall and extra 7% range with its low rolling resistance, same Y speed rating. MICHELIN e·PRIMACY Summer Road Tyre

I did ask about the Michellin Sport EV and they're not coming out in 18inch.
Sounds like a good solution. I want quiet and I'll take the extra range but I bet it is BS. Were you able to source the special order e.Primacy at a Jax, Bob Jane or similar or was it from elsewhere?

Yeah back in #28 I confirmed with them no 18" Pilot Sports EVs in Aust.