Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Request for a 2024 Stealth M3P?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Rachmaninov

Supporting Member
Jul 17, 2019
NJ
I was a fortunate buyer of a 2019 Stealth Model 3P. It has been the best car I've ever owned by far! I have several different sets of wheels/tires for it.

The Stealth version was a performance model that used the standard 18 inch wheels. Those 18 inch wheels and standard tires provided a much better ride, greatly reduced chance of pot hole damage and also enabled a reduced price.

The roads here in the NorthEast frequently have numerous pot holes that will damage 20 inch wheels much more frequently than a smaller wheel / and tire with a larger side wall. It is also my understanding that the 20 inch performance tires are specifically NOT to be used in colder weather. The manufacturer states that mid 40's should be the lower temperature limit due to unsafe results in colder temps. That temperature range means that the performance tires should only legally be used for about six months of the year here in the NorthEast.

IF a new Stealth version was available it would prevent most of the potential pot hole damage and also reduce the possibility of a legal issue from using a performance tire in cold weather. If the Stealth model enabled Tesla to provide a $2k price reduction all of the Tesla colors would then qualify for the $7500 rebate. Many of us would also buy a set of the 20 Performance tires and wheels from Tesla for summer use.

Anyone else interested in a 24 Stealth version?

If the Stealth model enabled Tesla to provide a $2k price reduction all of the Tesla colors would then qualify for the $7500 rebate. Many of us would also buy a set of the 20 Performance tires and wheels from Tesla for summer use.
Tesla just expects those "many of you" to buy winter rims and tires for winter use.

It would be better to ask tesla to simply allow a wheel choice between 19inch all season wheels and 20 inch wheels for the same price. Thats more likely to get traction, since they already sell those wheels, they already work on the car, and it wouldnt be that large of a change.

The stealth version had more "missing" than just wheels, but you have one so you know that.

Anyway, I think there is a small chance Tesla would eventually allow a wheel choice between 19inch and 20inch wheels on the performance, but a "not zero but virtually so" that they again offer any sort of discount to de content the performance version like they did the stealth back then.

The 2019 Stealth Performance version was $5,000 less than the regular Performance model.

The differences were standard 18 inch wheels/tires instead of 20 inch, standard brakes, rear spoiler delete and stainless pedal cover delete. Everything else including the Track Pack and 165 MPH top speed were the same.

The Stealths are actually quicker in the 1/4 mile because of the lower weight of the 18 wheel/tire package.

Last edited:
If you check the manufacturers recommendations you'll see that they state that performance tires use different compounds and can be damaged beyond repair anytime they are under 40*.

I understand the difference in summer tires vs all seasons vs winter tires, but that has nothing to do with "stealth".

Reactions: Gasaraki
Personally I think the only reason they offered the “stealth” performance was because of parts shortages at the time. I dont see them doing this again.
Came here to say exactly the same thing. 👍🏻

I fully believe the original stealth was a reaction to a parts shortage and a crafty way to squeeze a few grand more out of LRs with 980 motors.

Very much doubt they’ll do it again any time soon. If you want a Performance with smaller wheels and all weather tires, that’s on you after delivery.

This is what the aftermarket is for. There are so many great aftermarket choices for 18” wheels and there is a better selection of inexpensive tires in the 18” size.

I have 18x8.5 wheels with the 235/45/18 Hankook iON EVO AS tires for mine. It is staggering how much more efficient they can be.

IMG_6823.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6707.jpeg
    IMG_6707.jpeg
    513.8 KB · Views: 4
Came here to say exactly the same thing. 👍🏻

I fully believe the original stealth was a reaction to a parts shortage and a crafty way to squeeze a few grand more out of LRs with 980 motors.

TBC, the original Performance Model 3 was the P3D-, with the 18" wheels and normal brakes--- it wasn't some afterthought version that came later.

Adding the 20s and bigger brakes was a $5000 option on the Performance model at launch.... (on top of what was, at the time a roughly 10-11k upcharge just to go from LR AWD to the base 18" P-- meaning it was 16k more for the all-in version vs the LR AWD, versus the $7500 difference it is today)

The 20"/BBK one only became the 'standard' version--- with the original 18" version only showing up randomly on occasion in inventory-- later.

As ODWms notes, when the change happened and the 5k package became standard previous buyers got the chance to get a 5k check from Tesla as a result (at cost of their FUSC)

Sometimes I think people just like saying the word "stealth" because they think it makes the car special.

Back in the day there was huge debate over it... initially P3D- and P3D+ was used to indicate if you got the 5k option package or not... then some folks decided the - sign was insulting so stealth became the term they preferred. I still use P3D- because it's both accurate for the original release (it's minus the option package, versus the other that's plus the option package) and because it's simply less characters to type.

I was a fortunate buyer of a 2019 Stealth Model 3P. It has been the best car I've ever owned by far! I have several different sets of wheels/tires for it.

I have a REAL TM3P with proper brakes and proper performance tires, and I have different sets of wheels/tires for it.
A set of summer performance Michelin PS4S tires alone was well worth the upgrade!

The roads here in the NorthEast frequently have numerous pot holes that will damage 20 inch wheels much more frequently than a smaller wheel / and tire with a larger side wall. It is also my understanding that the 20 inch performance tires are specifically NOT to be used in colder weather. The manufacturer states that mid 40's should be the lower temperature limit due to unsafe results in colder temps.

Tesla's 20" wheels are damage-prone because they were cheap and heavy cast wheels. Total crap wheels.
The new TM3P wheels are forged, and it will take an act of god to bend them!

All performance summer tires should be changed for proper winter tires long before temps drop below 40F. You should know that since you live in NE!
Performance tires are fantastic in the summer and what a Performance car should be riding on.

That temperature range means that the performance tires should only legally be used for about six months of the year here in the NorthEast. IF a new Stealth version was available it would prevent most of the potential pot hole damage and also reduce the possibility of a legal issue from using a performance tire in cold weather.

Totally wrong, silly, and FUD-ericious.

Anyone else interested in a 24 Stealth version?

Nope.
Hard pass.

Many of us would also buy a set of the 20 Performance tires and wheels from Tesla for summer use.

This negates your entire argument since that's precisely what Tesla has (rightly) packaged with TM3-Peroformance already!
Buying a set of cheaper 18" wheels and winter tires is way cheaper than a set of forged 19"-/20"-wheels and performance summer tires. You are better off with the path Tesla has laid out for you with TM3P, even though you don't seam to appreciate it.

a

Last edited:
Reactions: DocHolliday
Sometimes I think people just like saying the word "stealth" because they think it makes the car special.
This is what "Stealth" reminds me of. Dodge rebadged them as a "Stealth" with somewhat different styling:

These cars weren't stealthy in any way, they drew a lot of attention.

Reactions: DocHolliday
The 2019 Stealth Performance version was $5,000 less than the regular Performance model.

The differences were standard 18 inch wheels/tires instead of 20 inch, standard brakes, rear spoiler delete and stainless pedal cover delete. Everything else including the Track Pack and 165 MPH top speed were the same.

The Stealths are actually quicker in the 1/4 mile because of the lower weight of the 18 wheel/tire package.
Standard suspension as well, not the "Sport" lowered setup of the full Performance.

I had a used 2019 Stealth for about 18-months.

I’m with the OP. Stood in line in 2016 and got one of the first 3Ps in 2018.

Went with the 18s for ride and flat-resistance.

Range matters, too, because we frequently road trip this car 300-500 miles across desert to mountains, sometimes with bike rack. Bad enough having to sacrifice some range for all-seasons that have better snow performance and rain stopping distance (CrossClimates).

Car has been stellar … met all of our needs for six years. However, with another FSD window a possibility (perhaps the last, as SFSD becomes, arguably, somewhat usable), the $7500 credit soon to face political headwinds, and our battery and drive units nearing warranty’s end, we’re thinking about a ‘24. Love the ride/noise improvements, too.

Winter/summer wheel/tire switch won’t work for us here. We do plenty of snow driving in the mountains … but even more low-elevation driving getting there and around town.

Yes, there’s a fine LR option. Still 0-60 in 4.2. After test driving it last week, though, on city streets, freeways, and mountain roads, I’m reluctant to give up the highway passing confidence we’ve gotten used to.

Yet 20-inch wheels with expensive, puncturable, summer rubber are a non-starter. (And, yes, I’ve flatted my way through way too many otherwise-great low-profile tires on other performance cars.)

True, we could sell wheels/tires — did it before on our first S in 2015 — but it’s both a hassle and a money-loser.

Would thus love to be able to order new 3P with 18-inch wheels.

Poll to see if a significant percentage would like this option? Probably not worth Tesla’s bother if take not ~10%?

Reactions: Dayreg
I’m with the OP. Stood in line in 2016 and got one of the first 3Ps in 2018.

Went with the 18s for ride and flat-resistance.

Range matters, too, because we frequently road trip this car 300-500 miles across desert to mountains, sometimes with bike rack. Bad enough having to sacrifice some range for all-seasons that have better snow performance and rain stopping distance (CrossClimates).

Car has been stellar … met all of our needs for six years. However, with another FSD window a possibility (perhaps the last, as SFSD becomes, arguably, somewhat usable), the $7500 credit soon to face political headwinds, and our battery and drive units nearing warranty’s end, we’re thinking about a ‘24. Love the ride/noise improvements, too.

Winter/summer wheel/tire switch won’t work for us here. We do plenty of snow driving in the mountains … but even more low-elevation driving getting there and around town.

Yes, there’s a fine LR option. Still 0-60 in 4.2. After test driving it last week, though, on city streets, freeways, and mountain roads, I’m reluctant to give up the highway passing confidence we’ve gotten used to.

Yet 20-inch wheels with expensive, puncturable, summer rubber are a non-starter. (And, yes, I’ve flatted my way through way too many otherwise-great low-profile tires on other performance cars.)

True, we could sell wheels/tires — did it before on our first S in 2015 — but it’s both a hassle and a money-loser.

Would thus love to be able to order new 3P with 18-inch wheels.

Poll to see if a significant percentage would like this option? Probably not worth Tesla’s bother if take not ~10%?
Why, do you work for Tesla? Most people in the waiting room wanted the option of a 19" non-staggered setup. I don't mind a summer tire because I have a set of winters that I switch to.

Why, do you work for Tesla? Most people in the waiting room wanted the option of a 19" non-staggered setup. I don't mind a summer tire because I have a set of winters that I switch to.
Do I work for Tesla? Not quite sure why you asked that question.

After years of experience with low-profile tires (flats and blowouts), have opted for smallest wheel option on S (19") and 3 (18"). Good results.

You're right; many people would be happy with 19s, too.

Already mentioned that summer/winter tire switch will work in many climates but not this one.