Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Residential J1772 Stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I also have a Volt, I'm probably going to install a J1772 charge station to be used for both vehicles. I'm strongly considering the GE Wattstation. While I would suspect the J1772 adapter will work fine with pretty much any of the available J1772 residential stations, it might be good to get a list of ones that MS owners have confirmed to work.

Anyone else using a residential J1772 station to charge their MS? If so, which one?

Since I also have a Volt, I'm probably going to install a J1772 charge station to be used for both vehicles. I'm strongly considering the GE Wattstation.

Anyone else using a residential J1772 station to charge their MS? If so, which one?

I've used many different J1772 stations and they all worked. However, make sure you charger is at least rated at 40 amps so it won't take forever to charge your S.

I highly recommend the Clipper Creeks one:

Our Products | Products List | Clipper Creek ClipperCreek Inc – Electric Vehicle Charging Station

The CS-50 is a good model (will charge at 40 amps).

@patp raises a crucial point: don't buy a home J1772 that delivers less than 40A continuous (and so requires a 50A breaker). You should match your equipment to fully utilize the Model S's 10kW, 40A internal charger.
I'd agree, but the options are quite limited for that. The main one that is generally available is the Leviton unit that was originally developed for the Tesla-powered RAV4 EV. But since it's for home, I dont need it to be as high output as possible. A 30A unit would still provide all the charge I would typically need overnight (I'm only getting the 60kWh). I'm also looking to get one that plug into an outlet, vs being hardwired. So, I would have the option of plugging in and using the UMC if I needed faster charging on occasion.

At home I have a Nissan branded Aerovironment EVSE, originally installed for a LEAF (that never came), then the firmware was updated for the ActiveE (the LEAF firmware didn't work with the ActiveE, and there was different firmware for the BMW branded AV units). Fortunate for me that AV was the EVSE supplier of choice for both Nissan and BMW. When the Model S first arrived, I didn't have a 14-50 installed yet, so we shared the AV as needed. It worked just fine with the 'S, although at 30A as described above.

I can not add to the compatible J1772s, but I can tell you the Nissan supplied LEAF EVSE will not charge the model S with the J1772 adapter.
For those unfamiliar with the LEAF, Bill is referring to the portable 120 V EVSE that comes with the car, in the trunk. (Many of us have had that portable EVSE professionally "upgraded" to accept 240 V.) The Nissan branded AeroVironment EVSE, as referenced in prior posts, supplies 30 A at 240 V and apparently works just fine with the Tesla S.

For those unfamiliar with the LEAF, Bill is referring to the portable 120 V EVSE that comes with the car, in the trunk. (Many of us have had that portable EVSE professionally "upgraded" to accept 240 V.) The Nissan branded AeroVironment EVSE, as referenced in prior posts, supplies 30 A at 240 V and apparently works just fine with the Tesla S.
I too have the upgraded Leaf EVSE (240V, 16A capable). And yes, I use it with my Volt (I'd dont have a Leaf). Really, this won't work with the MS? Whoa, very surprising. Any thoughts on why not? I planned to use it, if I dont go with a wall mounted EVSE station.

I use the AeorVironment EVSE (now available from Amazon) for my Leaf and the S, and it works well since I don't have 50A service out to the garage. I haven't really run into a situation where the slower rate of charge was an issue since I don't drive that far very often. My longest trip was 190 miles and it took 12 hours to recharge (and I had the current dialed back to 20A so the battery would be warm in the morning).

I too have the upgraded Leaf EVSE (240V, 16A capable). And yes, I use it with my Volt (I'd dont have a Leaf). Really, this won't work with the MS? Whoa, very surprising. Any thoughts on why not? I planned to use it, if I dont go with a wall mounted EVSE station.

Yes, I can confirm that Phil's LEAF EVSE upgrade doesn't work on the Model S. Not sure why either. However, charging would be slow as heck with that connector anyway. Probably no more than 12 mph.

Slightly off topic here, but anyone know why the CS-100 is so darn expensive? I think it's ~2500 and the Tesla HPWC is only 1200 and provides the same functionality (minus J1772).

I'd agree, but the options are quite limited for that. The main one that is generally available is the Leviton unit that was originally developed for the Tesla-powered RAV4 EV. But since it's for home, I dont need it to be as high output as possible. A 30A unit would still provide all the charge I would typically need overnight (I'm only getting the 60kWh). I'm also looking to get one that plug into an outlet, vs being hardwired. So, I would have the option of plugging in and using the UMC if I needed faster charging on occasion.
The Clipper Creek CS-50 is another option. One little nuisance of using a J1772 at home is that you'll have to remember to pop the chargeport from inside the car or from your smartphone. On the UMC or HPWC, there's a button that does this for you.

The Clipper Creek CS-50 is another option. One little nuisance of using a J1772 at home is that you'll have to remember to pop the chargeport from inside the car or from your smartphone. On the UMC or HPWC, there's a button that does this for you.

Of course generally you're getting out of the car just before plugging in, so it just needs to become a habit. I had to train myself to open the gas cap door before exiting the car at gas stations in my old car.

Of course generally you're getting out of the car just before plugging in, so it just needs to become a habit. I had to train myself to open the gas cap door before exiting the car at gas stations in my old car.
I don't seem to have any problem remembering to open the charge port before exiting the S. With the current software, my S unlocks the charge port when I press the unhook button on my AV J1772 (when I'm done charging). Don't have to unlock the car at that point, and I can pull out the J1772 adapter (have a few seconds to do that before the charge port re-locks). Then I coil up the charging cable, or move it over to the Leaf if I need. I can even do the cord swap and adapter removal without the fob in my pocket.

OK, looks like my HOA is going to let me use a mounted station. So, I'm likely going to go worth the GE Wattstation with the 6-50 plug. I know the Leaf had some issues with this one, and I believe the issue was all on the Leaf side. I doubt anyone has used it with a MS yet. If anyone has, please let me know. If not, I'll take the plunge in about a month or so and let everyone know!

OK, looks like my HOA is going to let me use a mounted station. So, I'm likely going to go worth the GE Wattstation with the 6-50 plug. I know the Leaf had some issues with this one, and I believe the issue was all on the Leaf side. I doubt anyone has used it with a MS yet. If anyone has, please let me know. If not, I'll take the plunge in about a month or so and let everyone know!

There are a bunch of Clipper Creek CS-60's for sale on E-bay $725 J1772 Pretty good deal. will give you 48 amps continuous.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clipper-Creek-CS-60-J1772-60-Amp-EV-Charger-Level-2-Charger-/261178614518?pt=Battery_Chargers&hash=item3ccf7562f6