Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Resolved] Help! Having a nightmare at the delivery center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think anyone wants to take the bait on that one. Personally, sounds like your service center may have too many "dealer types" working there. I'd just take the correction and the valuable lesson of what it's like to deal with Tesla.

I don't think anyone wants to take the bait on that one. Personally, sounds like your service center may have too many "dealer types" working there. I'd just take the correction and the valuable lesson of what it's like to deal with Tesla.
Right. The matter has been settled, and they're not going to risk making it worse by telling the owner what happened.

It sounds like nishy requested a change to the vehicle, and at the same time Tesla accidentally changed the calipers as well. So Tesla thinks it was at nishy's request, and nishy knows he made no such request. So they're doing him a "favor" by taking his word for it. There's some logic there, but at the same time, if they were going to make it right anyway, they'd have been better off simply claiming responsibility instead of making a big deal about it.

Thanks max. They're going to fix it but per my previous post they're acting like they're doing me a favor and I wanted to understand that with the head office

What exactly did they say that led you to believe they wanted you to grovel at their feet.

Either way we are talking about a color of brake calipers. Not the wrong car, wrong interior or wrong anything else. I still don't understand what happened initially. You say you had a final email configuration but you made some changes via phone? I've never ran into that level of treatment in 5 years dealing with the company. If that happened let their manager know but seems out of character for the company.

if they were going to make it right anyway, they'd have been better off simply claiming responsibility instead of making a big deal about it.

Exactly. This is why I think it may be an issue with the mentality of the folks at the local service center. When I first got my car it was all about taking care of the customer -- now when something is done that should have been done anyway, my local SC is all about stressing that it was good will and that they'll do it THIS time.

Gee, thanks?

What exactly did they say that led you to believe they wanted you to grovel at their feet.

Either way we are talking about a color of brake calipers. Not the wrong car, wrong interior or wrong anything else.

Not sure how that matters Dave? Whatever it was, if it was not as he had ordered it, he has the right to be upset.I can understand how something like this could've dampened the mood on delivery -- especially for a vehicle that costs this much. Sure, if in the end he decides it wasn't worth caring about, he can choose to accept it and move on, but I don't think it's for anyone else to dictate the level of importance someone else should put on a feature.

So they made the mistake. There were no changes after the order confirmation. Yet the design book on my tesla didnt have the red calipers on despite it being on the order conf. I made no changes and they omitted the calipers. Not life threatening or life ending which is why i was fine with the compromise. But it was hell at the delivery center. They made ME feel like crap for their mistake and made it clear i was wrong, occasionally making me feel like i was trying to con them out of something. The paper they showed me left me doubting my own memory and wondering whether i made a mistake after all.

well guess what? I didnt. They did. And instead of correcting it and being apologetic for the experience above - which you have to understand, totally overshadowed the entire experience and was really draining instead of being a memorable part of the buying experience - they made me feel like they were doing me a favor. Sorry but that is just ****** customer service. I'm not looking for anyone to kiss my ass but dont tell me youre doing me a favor when i ordered it that way in the beginning.

It's just crappy service and that rankles me. I dont mind if anyone disagrees with me but the facts are pretty clear and their reaction to their mistake has been incredibly arrogant.

Exactly. This is why I think it may be an issue with the mentality of the folks at the local service center. When I first got my car it was all about taking care of the customer -- now when something is done that should have been done anyway, my local SC is all about stressing that it was good will and that they'll do it THIS time.

Gee, thanks?

Not sure how that matters Dave? Whatever it was, if it was not as he had ordered it, he has the right to be upset.I can understand how something like this could've dampened the mood on delivery -- especially for a vehicle that costs this much. Sure, if in the end he decides it wasn't worth caring about, he can choose to accept it and move on, but I don't think it's for anyone else to dictate the level of importance someone else should put on a feature.

And they are fixing it as they should. If he had a final email configuration and no changes were made afterwards by him then it's all on Tesla. If changes were made after than email and the final configuration wasn't re-verified then that might have been worthwhile thing to do. The fact they were trying to charge him extra for a no cost option on the final configuration is odd too. The service center treats customers very differently than the 5 I've dealt with so far and management should know.

Right. The matter has been settled, and they're not going to risk making it worse by telling the owner what happened.

It sounds like nishy requested a change to the vehicle, and at the same time Tesla accidentally changed the calipers as well. So Tesla thinks it was at nishy's request, and nishy knows he made no such request. So they're doing him a "favor" by taking his word for it. There's some logic there, but at the same time, if they were going to make it right anyway, they'd have been better off simply claiming responsibility instead of making a big deal about it.

no there isn't any logic. I never made any changes after the order confirmation. the process must involve some human order input on tesla's side because they omitted the calipers. no favors need doing, they just need to deliver what i ordered.

- - - Updated - - -

And they are fixing it as they should. If he had a final email configuration and no changes were made afterwards by him then it's all on Tesla. If changes were made after than email and the final configuration wasn't re-verified then that might have been worthwhile thing to do. The fact they were trying to charge him extra for a no cost option on the final configuration is odd too. The service center treats customers very differently than the 5 I've dealt with so far and management should know.

i made no changes after the final order conf. the issue the service center was quoting was their paperwork was different to the final order conf and they were saying that was my bad. replacing hte calipers i think costs money - $3000 - because its a convoluted process...

but to be clear here is the sequence:

Initial Order- 90D
Revised Order - P90D, same options, add calipers and spoiler
Order Conf - P90D, same options add calipers and spoiler
Received Vehicle - P90D, same options, spoiler and no calipers

see what i mean? It's odd. If they missed the changes to the final order conf, they would have delivered a regular 90D but they didnt....they just missed one thing.

- - - Updated - - -

One point of clarification. I'm not really mad at the SC. They were disappointed this conflict came up. The manager, Steve, was nice but they were adamant it was my mistake and couldn't/wouldn't do anything. I suppose I get that but they should have checked the final order conf email right? They were dealing with the configuration they were seeing online.

The issues here are with the fact that Tesla messed up their translation from the order conf to the final product. That's on them and the DS and the customer service people clearly don't give a damn.

Yeah. They messed up then. I'm glad they are fixing it for you but shouldn't have given you a hard time. Let their manager know. Might just be an old former dealership employee doing what they normally do. Very out of character for Tesla service centers. I wouldn't let this experience paint your view of every person who works for them. Good luck.

no there isn't any logic. I never made any changes after the order confirmation. the process must involve some human order input on tesla's side because they omitted the calipers. no favors need doing, they just need to deliver what i ordered.
If you didn't call to make any changes, I agree, it doesn't make sense. I had assumed you did based on the earlier conversation you posted where they said "they saw a lot of changes in the order."

In that case, it's even worse than I had figured it was. Honestly, you should contact corporate. I don't know that they'll do anything other than offer an apology, but it's worth sharing your story. I think I still have contact info for someone who is at the top of the service center chain of command. Send me a PM and I'll try to dig it up.

I don't understand the mentality of lets blame the victim or look for reasons why the victim might be wrong.

The OP didn't screw up, he could've changed his order 1,000 times in the 1 week he had. Once he hits submit on his last change, and checks his confirmation email, it's out of his hands. Tesla can't say "well you changed you order during the 1 week we give you to change your order, so it's your fault".

I think at this time the matter is closed. Spoke to Tesla's regional service manager. She said the national team was aware. She was very nice and understanding and ultimately apologetic. There's not a lot more to say on the matter and as a gesture of goodwill, she is letting me keep the two services they initially offered to cover.

It's been unfortunate but onwards and upwards. Not sure there's anything else to gain by prolonging the discussion but i would say they apparently have a software glitch that didnt catch the issue - so beware!!! They also - and this i cant believe - don't have access to the order confirmation emails in the Delivery Center. Go figure. She's trying to use this instance to change that practice.

The calipers should be replaced next week too.

I think at this time the matter is closed. Spoke to Tesla's regional service manager. She said the national team was aware. She was very nice and understanding and ultimately apologetic. There's not a lot more to say on the matter and as a gesture of goodwill, she is letting me keep the two services they initially offered to cover.

It's been unfortunate but onwards and upwards. Not sure there's anything else to gain by prolonging the discussion but i would say they apparently have a software glitch that didnt catch the issue - so beware!!! They also - and this i cant believe - don't have access to the order confirmation emails in the Delivery Center. Go figure. She's trying to use this instance to change that practice.

The calipers should be replaced next week too.

Good to know all went well Nishy

...i would say they apparently have a software glitch that didnt catch the issue - so beware!!!

I am glad it ultimately got resolved in your favor and kudos for standing up for yourself. You did say the matter is closed to I won't further comment on the issue but I would like to say something that might support your assertion above.
1. My order was placed on 8/14 and I got the email that it would be confirmed on 8/21. But it didn't get confirmed. I had to get my DS involved who after initial resistance and misunderstanding understood my problem and had to call HQ to get my order manually confirmed.
2. I had made multiple changes in my order during the first week; the last one on 8/20. Yet, even after the confirmation it kept showing the 8/19 confirmation in the 'model S order agreement' PDF. It finally did change (with correct information) long time after the confirmation but with the past date of 8/26.

The whole online car buying process had been counter-intuitive to me from the beginning so after every change I saved the PDF with the time stamp. After the order confirmation I saved that PDF too. Every time Tesla sent me an email or posted a document with my car's configuration I verified that it matched my original choices. Fortunately, it matched every time. I have the delivery on 9/29 and I am hoping that the actual car will match my order. I could go on about the poor web experience but that's for another day.

Finally, let me just say your car looks great. Just go for a weekend getaway. Maybe the whole driving experience will make you forget the sour experience.

They also - and this i cant believe - don't have access to the order confirmation emails in the Delivery Center. Go figure. She's trying to use this instance to change that practice.
QUOTE]

My bolding above and I'm amazed at this gapping hole. If the delivery center does NOT have exactly the same information that the customer does this will continue to cause bad experiences at delivery. This is unacceptable for Tesla. They should first fix this as it should be a simple matter of emailing the same attachment to the DS. Then find and kill this configuration bug where you final config change didn't resolve back to the production line.

And sorry you experienced this but hopefully your experience will drive change.