Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retro-fitting HEPA filter in Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally parts came in and ready to pick up. Burbank said they will charge $240 if I self install and for them to verify the work and enable the button. Alhambra said it isn't possible. Jealous at those who were able to get their SC to enable it. Just not worth $400 for the time being.
Hi Ken_Y,

I didn’t realise you didn’t get it done because of the cost. Do you mind to share the screenshot of conversations or any official estimate (redacting your personal identifiable information) that they will charge you $240 for the work? I want to show them it can be done at the Burbank SC. Thanks

Hi Ken_Y,

I didn’t realise you didn’t get it done because of the cost. Do you mind to share the screenshot of conversations or any official estimate (redacting your personal identifiable information) that they will charge you $240 for the work? I want to show them it can be done at the Burbank SC. Thanks
I went back and raised a service request at Burbank but now they said no such retrofit exists. They're asking who I spoke to but it was over the phone and I don't recall the name.

I also went to another SC where the tech was kind enough to walk me through the portal and there were no modules for my vin to push the BDM to my car :(

Reactions: DiyEvRepair
I requested the part per @everydaychris’s clip and got a response today for reviewing the cost. The part numbers are somewhat different. Should I tell them to make sure it’s the new HEPA filter system for Bio Defense Mode?

Attached is the list of parts the SC responded back

Attachments

• AEB282E4-BF04-4849-865A-6DEC477EC342.jpeg
    AEB282E4-BF04-4849-865A-6DEC477EC342.jpeg
    285.6 KB · Views: 224
Thanks for the step by step to get the parts ordered and installed. I was able to get the parts ($214 total) through my service center in Fife, WA. When they brought the parts out, the mobile service tech who was carrying the parts said, "You are doing the retrofit, aren't you?" I told him I was and that my car (Feb '21 build) had the screw holes and mounting holes already there, so it should be a strait forward, easy install. And it was! I did have to remove the frunk, it was much easier to line up the HEPA filter with it not in the way. Now to figure out how to get them to add the 'Bio-Defense' button!

I have not noticed too much of a difference with the amount of air blowing out of my register. I know it is blowing less but it has made no difference so far with defogging my windows. We have had snow and rain mix here this past week.

So, I just picked up the parts today (after a few cases of "we don't know where all of the pieces are"). I got the new duct installed and put the hepa filter in place but it doesn't look like the screw holes line up (car is an April '21 model so all holes were already available). The only thing that looks different between my filter assembly and the ones in videos like Chris' is a metal ring in the screw holes (pics included). My plan is to try to remove the metal ring to give just a bit more space on the right side but I was curious if anyone else had anything like this and had any thoughts.

Attachments

• IMG_2593.jpeg
    IMG_2593.jpeg
    447.5 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_2590.jpeg
    IMG_2590.jpeg
    522.1 KB · Views: 171
  • Informative
Reactions: WattTheHeck
So, I was able to pop the metal ring out of the right side (the longer screw hole) which allowed it to be screwed down. The only thing that I can think of is that this revision of the filter got the metal rings to add more reinforcement to the screw (model number for this is 1495167-96-B); and then the more recent cars have had their holes offset a bit more from the earlier models.

Hope this helps anyone that gets stuck like me :D

So, I was able to pop the metal ring out of the right side (the longer screw hole) which allowed it to be screwed down. The only thing that I can think of is that this revision of the filter got the metal rings to add more reinforcement to the screw (model number for this is 1495167-96-B); and then the more recent cars have had their holes offset a bit more from the earlier models.

Hope this helps anyone that gets stuck like me :D
I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla is finding those non-metal-insert ducts are cracking at the tabs due to the added weight of the HEPA filter and that prompted the revision.

Fourth attempt for this and just got a call from the SC that I put in the OTC purchase request. Rep told me they could not place the order because my model does not support it and currently Tesla has no official retrofit for HEPA filter. Urggg. I guess they’re catching up with the DIY Retrofit and not gonna allow owners to do it.

Did you see that the Holiday Update includes the ability to adjust the climate control fan speed intensity?

You can chose between Low, Medium, and High intensity while remining in Auto.

Sounds like a workaround for those with the HEPA but without Bioweapon mode.
08B9E819-E7E4-4FAA-B418-485C37E60A47.jpeg

Seems like there’s really no more advantage for BDM software upgrade as it’s possible to select Recirculate>Auto Temp>Blower/Fan Speed Level 10.

Reactions: everydaychris