Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit Bumper and LED

Can Front bumper and LED lights be retrofitted?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Found on Facebook, not much more info unfortunately.

New bumper on "old" S, unclear if that requires a new hood or not.

old_s_new_bumber.jpg

I assume the new lights would require a new wiring harness, so I doubt a retrofit is possible. I would really like the new bumper, so I hope it it just a bolt on change, and the structure underneath hasn't changed.

Found on Facebook, not much more info unfortunately.

New bumper on "old" S, unclear if that requires a new hood or not.

View attachment 172024

The old S definitely has a more rounded edge at the bottom of the hood so it doesn't look like it would work without being replaced.

I like the look but don't like that they got rid of the plastic under the front bumper and sides of the car. Get ready to xpel wrap the heck out it, not to mention the nice rock catcher built into the new front.

• Informative
Reactions: Karab
I like the look but don't like that they got rid of the plastic under the front bumper and sides of the car. Get ready to xpel wrap the heck out it, not to mention the nice rock catcher built into the new front.

I liked the front chin as well. But on the upside the front bumper is now easier to clean. The side skirts might still be plastic but painted body color (they do have a new paint shop now after all)

The diffuser under the rear bumper seems to have gone away as well (design studio)

Yes definitely a retrofit. You can see the old design on bottom of the side panel still.

The question with the retrofit is it just a new nose or new nose and new hood?

More likely a rare transitional car. Tesla has a history of producing a small amount of cars in between major changes. For example, a small number of non-autopilot cars have the autopilot style turn stalk.

• Helpful
Reactions: SCDrJ
That works great on the X and likely how they did it on the new S. But older Ss would have the jump post too high to be able to do that with a retrofitted front bumper. On my car, the jump posts are a good bit higher.

I think you can skip the jump post altogether and jump on the battery directly, frankly except for salvage yard, those jump post are never used... I never used mine and reaching the battery is not that bad.

Not the same platform of course, but I recently retrofitted my 2012 Audi R8 from Xenon to LED headlights. Of course it wasn't supported by the manufacturer. That said, the dealerships simply didn't know how to do it...most didn't. it took a lot of investigation and more importantly while the lights were a direct swap, some open heart surgery had to take place:

1. rewiring the connector at the light housing - the routed wires served different roles - for example the DRL wire becomes the high beam; the accent light became the DRL etc.
2. Wiring at the ECM needed to be changed (this required a circuit diagram - with every onboard computer terminating at this location, there were 3 harnesses with 50 terminals each.
3. the onboard ECU required reprogramming to be told of the new equipment so that it didn't throw up fault codes when the lighting didn't work as intended from the original factory build.

In seeing the talent here, its clear to me that someone could crack the code here on items 1 and 2 above. Unless, TM allows for the reprogramming required in item 3, I would say that this modification won't be possible. Short of someone hacking the system and teaching it the new light functions, things just won't work - the challenge will be the pitch and yaw functions that are resident in the new system that dynamically project the lighting...none of that exists in the current build.

The bumper will be 100x easier to modify...these things are almost ALWAYS leveraging previous connection points - thats how that maximize a facelifts appeal (min retooling and max esthetic change...driving the desire to update).