Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit Bumper and LED

Can Front bumper and LED lights be retrofitted?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know they moved the 12v on the S at some point. My early 2013 is a pain to get to.
They moved it on AWD version.

AWD
Want-to-know-what-it-really-looks-like-under-the-hood-Imgur.jpg

RWD
teslaservice-12v-c1009.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Lex and Cyclone
Pretty certain you'll be looking at both a new bumper and hood. The new hood looks to have less of a curve than the old style, and definitely extends a little further forward.

I'm really ok with the look of the original design still. I am hoping however, that they at least make the headlight upgrade an option.

• Informative
Reactions: Karab
Pretty certain you'll be looking at both a new bumper and hood. The new hood looks to have less of a curve than the old style, and definitely extends a little further forward.

I'm really ok with the look of the original design still. I am hoping however, that they at least make the headlight upgrade an option.

I might be interested in a headlight upgrade, if it's possible, but only if tests reveal the LEDs are superior to the best HID, not the stock HIDS on the Model S, which are quite mediocre, but upgraded HIDs of the kind ucsbwsr is planning to do. Otherwise the LEDs will definitely not be worth it.

I might be interested in a headlight upgrade, if it's possible, but only if tests reveal the LEDs are superior to the best HID, not the stock HIDS on the Model S, which are quite mediocre, but upgraded HIDs of the kind ucsbwsr is planning to do. Otherwise the LEDs will definitely not be worth it.

Wow. Compared against my other vehicles, the S has the best headlights. Even better than the HID retrofit I did on the 4Runner with its projector housing (I know many just put HIDs in on reflector housings and those suck). I guess ignorance is bliss!

Reactions: Majerus
Wow. Compared against my other vehicles, the S has the best headlights. Even better than the HID retrofit I did on the 4Runner with its projector housing (I know many just put HIDs in on reflector housings and those suck). I guess ignorance is bliss!
Yep, same here! I came from a car with incandescent headlights (about as bright as the DRLs on Model S) from a 2001 car. The Xenons have been wonderful, it's scary driving my old Lexus now. But I would be interested in an LED retrofit if it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Reactions: Majerus
The thing to remember with the LED lights is they are adaptive like the MX, so they will use a control line to tell them which way to point and perhaps a separate power line for the stepper motor. This definitely means a new wiring harness and perhaps a new connector. Depending on how the ballast is handled, that would be an additional complication.

So, can you hack your harness to power the lights? Sure, but you will likely compromise any warranty/ESA coverage you have and you are not going to get the adaptive function as the signal lines do not exist and the car is not going to know it should be pointing headlights even if they did.

• Informative
Reactions: Karab
The thing to remember with the LED lights is they are adaptive like the MX, so they will use a control line to tell them which way to point and perhaps a separate power line for the stepper motor. This definitely means a new wiring harness and perhaps a new connector. Depending on how the ballast is handled, that would be an additional complication.

So, can you hack your harness to power the lights? Sure, but you will likely compromise any warranty/ESA coverage you have and you are not going to get the adaptive function as the signal lines do not exist and the car is not going to know it should be pointing headlights even if they did.

It may. It may not. It depends on how the car is communicating with the lights currently. If it's a CAN connection there would likely be no need. I believe as it sits the Model S's headlight controller is in the headlight as well. So in theory it could potentially be as simple as swapping the capsule and telling the car it's there which you'd ave to convince Tesla to do.

The Model S's headlights are objectively pretty horrible. Poor cut-off, beam cross-over, non-adaptive. If you're coming from any halogen light they'll seem like quite the upgrade but if you're coming from another luxury car you can almost immediately tell they're mediocre. They use really cheap components too. Someone did a complete tear-down and finally explained why they are as bad as they are.

The hood is very likely identical. It appears Tesla was going for as much change as they could without changing sheet-metal, similar to what BMW does with it's LCI changes. The nice thing about BMW is they generally make retrofit kits available. The not so nice thing about BMW is that those retrofit kits are so expensive you may as well buy the newer car. I vaguely remember the 7 series LED light swap costing $6000.

More likely a rare transitional car. Tesla has a history of producing a small amount of cars in between major changes. For example, a small number of non-autopilot cars have the autopilot style turn stalk.
Or just a prototype of the bumper while the headlights were still being worked on. That photo is taken inside the lobby of Tesla HQ in Palo Alto. There's another one where it's parked near the chargers in Tesla HQ's parking lot. Could have been a test to see how it looked.

Hypothetically speaking, anyone have a guess what the LED headlamp upgrade would cost if they decided to make them available and if they fit into the existing housing? As a data point, a replacement of the headlamp assembly with the exact xenon part is $895/side from the parts department.