Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit CCS compatibility onto earlier (NA) Model 3 - DIY approach

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They definitely went unexpectedly quick after Giga Texas shook up the Tesla road tripping scene ;) About a week ago, I had a depressing wall of Bundles I thought would never move. Now they're all gone. LOL.

If I can keep y'all's hype up for another week, I'll order more stock on DigiKey now and grind a bunch of builds out next weekend. So, a week and they'll be back. :)

Eh, I'm doing small quantities. I can only stand to sit there and 😨 cut wires to precise length 😨 and strip them 😨 and crimp them 😨 and solder them 😨 and shrink tube them for SO LONG before my eyes begin to bleed. 😂

I don't like to take anyone's money before I have something to offer (... words withheld regarding other topical examples ...). I ordered 10 of the missing components (really, just housings) since the male pin crimps are non-existent/out of stock at the moment but I have enough to build 10. That's a good batch to tire me out but not induce complete eye-bleed mode :)

Is Petro-Canada charging stations all over Canada? How is its rate compared to Tesla's supercharger?
Petro-Canada are having DC fast Chargers at every 100-200km along the Transcanadian Highway. They price in Quebec is 0.20$/minute and in other provinces 0.33$/minute. Compared to Tesla it is really cheaper. Tesla is at 1.85$/minute for power over 180kw and 1.35$/minute for charging between 100kw and 180kw.

Reactions: DoubleDD
** All the tests and results are in Taiwan, not in the US. The older cars here are all TPC (as US model 3) connectors, new cars are all CCS2. I want to enable my car to use both TPC/CCS2 if possible to avoid congestion issues in Tesla TPC SC here.

Today I swapped my CP ECU from "1092755-82-B" (GEN3 EU version, been tested and verified can work with Tesla CCS2 SC & third-party CCS2 SC) to GEN4 US ECU 1537264-00-B + "Bundle of Wires", while Tesla TPC SC works correctly, the Tesla CCS2/SC & third-party CCS2 SC (with Ukraine CCS2-TPC adapter) DID NOT WORK.

Error code "CP_004" appears as "Charging equipment not recognized. Try again or try different equipment".

I guess if this configuration is work in the US (as @FalconFour did), the reason caused such a difference between Taiwanese version Model 3 vs. US version Model 3 should be the software since in Taiwanese version Model 3, no CCS enable/disable was shown in the 'additional information' as US version has.

Any suggestion?

If this setup didn't work as expected (both Tesla TPC SC/CCS2 SC and third-party CCS2 SC can work), I might have to swap back to '1092755-82-B" as it had been verified that both Tesla CCS2 SC & third-party CCS2 SC can work correctly, although I also concern the reliability of the Ukraine CCS2-TPC adapter and replacement (if broken, difficult to buy a new one as the current state of Ukraine is unclear)

1650035170396.png

Figure: 1537264-00-B + "Bundle of Wires"

• Informative
Reactions: FalconFour
** All the tests and results are in Taiwan, not in the US. The older cars here are all TPC (as US model 3) connectors, new cars are all CCS2. I want to enable my car to use both TPC/CCS2 if possible to avoid congestion issues in Tesla TPC SC here.

Today I swapped my CP ECU from "1092755-82-B" (GEN3 EU version, been tested and verified can work with Tesla CCS2 SC & third-party CCS2 SC) to GEN4 US ECU 1537264-00-B + "Bundle of Wires", while Tesla TPC SC works correctly, the Tesla CCS2/SC & third-party CCS2 SC (with Ukraine CCS2-TPC adapter) DID NOT WORK.

Error code "CP_004" appears as "Charging equipment not recognized. Try again or try different equipment".

I guess if this configuration is work in the US (as @FalconFour did), the reason caused such a difference between Taiwanese version Model 3 vs. US version Model 3 should be the software since in Taiwanese version Model 3, no CCS enable/disable was shown in the 'additional information' as US version has.

Any suggestion?

If this setup didn't work as expected (both Tesla TPC SC/CCS2 SC and third-party CCS2 SC can work), I might have to swap back to '1092755-82-B" as it had been verified that both Tesla CCS2 SC & third-party CCS2 SC can work correctly, although I also concern the reliability of the Ukraine CCS2-TPC adapter and replacement (if broken, difficult to buy a new one as the current state of Ukraine is unclear)

View attachment 793935
All of this is just because you need Gen4 (plaid) adapter version. Which emulates original adapter. Otherwise it will not work. It is not the bundle and it is not ECU.

Reactions: wlee
All of this is just because you need Gen4 (plaid) adapter version. Which emulates original adapter. Otherwise it will not work. It is not the bundle and it is not ECU.
Thank you for your response. Can you explain it more clear? I currently have a CCS2-TPC adapter and it works with EU CP ECU. You mean I need to buy a new adapter?

Is it possible to revise my current adapter to you so called GEN4 plaid version?

Eh, I'm doing small quantities. I can only stand to sit there and 😨 cut wires to precise length 😨 and strip them 😨 and crimp them 😨 and solder them 😨 and shrink tube them for SO LONG before my eyes begin to bleed. 😂

I don't like to take anyone's money before I have something to offer (... words withheld regarding other topical examples ...). I ordered 10 of the missing components (really, just housings) since the male pin crimps are non-existent/out of stock at the moment but I have enough to build 10. That's a good batch to tire me out but not induce complete eye-bleed mode :)
I was going to make my own harness adapter based on your work, but I ordered from you instead when I saw that the male pins were not expected in stock for many months :D

Reactions: FalconFour
Reactions: Dave EV and Neo1974
Where did you get your current adapter?

@AlexUA confirmed this is Ukraine

1650073942511.png

Any suggestion?

View attachment 793935
You need 1537264-20-b for ccs2
alternative I can tell how to modify adapter, but he will not work on Supercharger v3.
And I still not sure how both options will work with wires set.

Last edited:
Reactions: wlee and FalconFour
Adapter just changes thermal sensors and positions to make Gen4 happy. Pilot/prox connections and most others just pass straight through (though Prox has a 2.7k resistor to ground, to replace what was on Gen3 ECU and moved to the charge port on Gen4). Makes everything work like a Gen4 port.

This car seems to be a NA (TPC) model that uses NA ECU, but for some odd reason, seems to have different firmware, maybe just for the MCU but maybe in more places. 🤔 That odd firmware (that doesn't show "CCS adapter support" for example) may have other... side effects... 🤔

• Informative
Reactions: buckets0fun
@wlee are there any non-Tesla ccs chargers in your area? I’m wondering if the Tesla implementation does something that the us ECU doesn’t understand.
I had tested on a non-Tesla CCS2 SC (eTail) on the same day, but it didn't work. But the same SC (eTail) it was working perfectly while I am using EU GEN3 CP ECU 1092755-82-B, with the 'non-modified' Ukrainian adapter. So I believe it should be something wrong with my car's firmware/software or simply the compatibility of the Ukrainian adapter.

Last edited:
You need 1537264-20-b for ccs2
alternative I can tell how to modify adapter, but he will not work on Supercharger v3.
The Ukrainian adapter works very well with EU GEN3 CP ECU 1092755-82-B. I know I can replace it with EU GEN4 CP ECU 1537264-20-b, but it is meaningless for me (because I already can use CCS2 SC with EU GEN3 CP ECU). I want to use @FalconFour's approach because it will enable both TPC and CCS SC, while EU CP ECU will only work with CCS SC but disable TPC SC.

==>alternative I can tell how to modify adapter, but he will not work on Supercharger v3.

It will be great if you can hint me about this. I will test it and report to all.

Adapter just changes thermal sensors and positions to make Gen4 happy. Pilot/prox connections and most others just pass straight through (though Prox has a 2.7k resistor to ground, to replace what was on Gen3 ECU and moved to the charge port on Gen4). Makes everything work like a Gen4 port.

This car seems to be a NA (TPC) model that uses NA ECU, but for some odd reason, seems to have different firmware, maybe just for the MCU but maybe in more places. 🤔 That odd firmware (that doesn't show "CCS adapter support" for example) may have other... side effects... 🤔

I was been told to add a resistor 160 ohm on the CCS pin PP-PE (based on the measurement from the stock Tesla CCS1-TPC adapter? not sure) to help EV to detect the presence of the adapter (not sure). Will try later once I got the resistor. My stock Tesla CCS1-TPC adapter suppose to deliver to me in next week, maybe it will just work on my current configuration without any modification. Will report you soon.

Thank you again for your great contribution to all older TPC car owners.

I was been told to add a resistor 160 ohm on the CCS pin PP-PE (based on the measurement from the stock Tesla CCS1-TPC adapter? not sure) to help EV to detect the presence of the adapter (not sure). Will try later once I got the resistor. My stock Tesla CCS1-TPC adapter suppose to deliver to me in next week, maybe it will just work on my current configuration without any modification. Will report you soon.

Thank you again for your great contribution to all older TPC car owners.
Official CCS1-TPC should just be straight pass-through of all pins. The potential issue with yours may be that CCS1 stations have a weird, nonstandard way the prox pin is wired (Type 2 does it differently, and modified stations with Type 1 cables may be a bit... funky). The resistor tweak may fix that.

Hope it works out!

Status
Not open for further replies.