Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit CCS compatibility onto earlier (NA) Model 3 - DIY approach

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, on second look of the Tesla Korea CCS1 adapter page, I'm not actually seeing any limit of 1 per account 🤔 And @harumio also kinda implied we might only need one user to volunteer their account 😄 Given my ability to buy as many Gen4 ECUs as I like, maybe I might have good luck there as a gateway as well? 🤔

Food for thought! Well, my finances are a bit tight at the moment (need to save for an upcoming move and it's not going so well), so I can't really advance any purchase at the moment... but... food for thought? I'm otherwise really well suited to packing & shipping, so, hmm.
When you use Harumio to order the adapter they pay for it with their own credit card. So in the case of a group buy they would pay Tesla for the order. But I'm pretty sure Tesla will not allow a big order of adapters from one account. I was afraid to order more than 1 and risk them cancelling it due to limits or allowing them more scrutiny.

Tested stocked Tesla CCS1-TPC adapter with thrid-party SC eTail,
My SoC is high 85% so rate is low, only 30kw. But it works.

I show the two adapters together for your reference. Letf: CCS2-TPC from Ukrainian, right CCS1-TPC from South Korea (although it acutally is Made in Taiwan, where I live now).
Left one is much small/compact/handy, and lightweight, compare to the right one.

1650464118962.png
1650464137295.png
1650464163190.png

I got the adapter today, 2 days ahead of schedule (Took 7 days from order to delivery at Harumio, then 5 days to get to me). It feels nice and heavy. It's made by Pegatron in Taiwan. Now I'm just waiting on the newer charge port ECU that I ordered from my nearest Tesla service center to make my early 2018 Model 3 work with CCS1 (I already have my bundle of wires and some resistors 😉).

IMG_20220420_114207.jpg

I got the adapter today, 2 days ahead of schedule (Took 7 days from order to delivery at Harumio, then 5 days to get to me). It feels nice and heavy. It's made by Pegatron in Taiwan. Now I'm just waiting on the newer charge port ECU that I ordered from my nearest Tesla service center to make my early 2018 Model 3 work with CCS1 (I already have my bundle of wires and some resistors 😉).

View attachment 795748
Congrats.

Still waiting on mine. Hopefully it gets shipped to the USA in the next 5 days.

• Helpful
Reactions: wlee and ager01
Worth noting one major looming frustration I have here: NONE of this (except maybe the 2.7k Prox resistor) is truly necessary. All the parts are in the Gen4 ECU to be compatible with the old charge port. Grounds in the same place, everything. An adjustment to firmware would provide the proper voltage->temperature mapping for the 10k thermistors, and the HV cover switch could be ignored on old ports that don't have/need one. This could all just be a firmware switch. But here we are, instead 🤷‍♂️ At least it works.
Hmmm.

Mr. FalconFour, might a future firmware update “break” your adaptor harness?

Hmmm.

Mr. FalconFour, might a future firmware update “break” your adaptor harness?
Most likely not... it's not a piece of software; it makes the port electrically "look like" a Gen4. I guess it's possible that a future firmware update can go "da fuq? you don't have a Gen4 battery, how can you have a Gen4 port?". AFAIK, the only way to have a Gen4 port is to have the "busbar" style connection on the battery as well (thus a different battery, thus, thus, thus...). But it's all removable anyway, and we already basically know a Gen4 "for Gen3 cars" is on the way.

I really doubt Tesla would break this unanticipated part-swap hack (esp. with the far-more-dubious things being done, like EU ECU on a NA port/car) before they make the "Gen3-compatible" Gen4 ECU available.

Reactions: android04 and wlee
When you use Harumio to order the adapter they pay for it with their own credit card. So in the case of a group buy they would pay Tesla for the order. But I'm pretty sure Tesla will not allow a big order of adapters from one account. I was afraid to order more than 1 and risk them cancelling it due to limits or allowing them more scrutiny.

I wrote an email to Harumio asking for more details on group purchase, below is what they have replied to me.

"Please be informed should you require to make multiple purchases for Tesla adaptor, we are able to do it with just one Tesla account provided.
In other words, we will be needing only one Tesla account to buy multiple units for Tesla adaptors.
Kindly also be informed that we'll offer 5% discount for any order that exceeds $800 and paid with TransferWise.
We hope this clarifies."

• Informative
Reactions: FalconFour
You mean prices like this?

View attachment 796105
I wasn't aware charging above 90% would be charged at a higher rate. Not only is it more expensive, but the charging rate is also much slower. I rarely charge above 80% on trips at Superchargers as the rate really slows down. On road trips, it's best to go no lower than 11% because you lose preconditioning. The best is 15-65% if the distance between chargers allows this.

Not sure what you mean, I try to arrive between 2-7% unless the weather is bad, if I am driving I don't need preconditioning, the battery will already be warm from the 200+ miles it took to get to the Supercharger. Wintertime I shoot for arriving with less than 12%

Reactions: FalconFour
Well, it's more nuanced than "if under 11% then sad battery". I've watched internal behaviors on CAN while road tripping :)

The default temperature is 87f (or 86f? keep getting the two twisted in memory). This is the target it will try to maintain by isolating the battery loop, adding the motor(s) to the loop to absorb waste heat, or using the radiator to dump heat. That's the standard "passive" target.

It'll bump up the passive levels if navigation enters a "supercharging mindset". The logic behind that is unreliable beyond just navigating to the next SC. If your active navigation destination is a Supercharger, it will be in "supercharging mindset". The unreliable part is that, sometimes, you can have a Supercharger ahead of your immediate next destination, and it'll still precondition for the upcoming SC. If the SC is >1 stop ahead (not the next stop), it won't run, normally - but similarly, sometimes for no discernable reason, it'll stop preconditioning or not start at all - so it's somewhat unreliable.

The text on the screen saying "preconditioning battery" ONLY seems to appear when ActiveHeat is active - when it's actively heating the battery.

If there are other cases where it IS preserving heat (supercharging mindset) but not actively heating, it won't say "preconditioning battery" - nothing will be shown, but the behavior is still preserving heat.

When preconditioning, it seems to target 100-110f, maybe higher - but depends on SOC% as to what temp it goes for.

Supercharging itself also heats up the battery pretty quickly, so if it's 250kW, you really don't even need preconditioning if you're arriving at like 5%.

The worst thing you can do is have no navigation destination set. Then, it'll target 87f, and dump any preconditioning heat energy on the ground as you drive!

The text on the screen saying "preconditioning battery" ONLY seems to appear when ActiveHeat is active
I watch as well and I wonder if there isn't also a time when it COOLS the battery on the way to a Supercharger. If it's super hot out and driving uphill to the Supercharger I feel I have seen it say Preconditioning when the batt temps are well over 110°F.

The Ukranian one looks like it was made on someone's 3D printer in their home.

Keith

That's because it's probably milled from a solid block using a CNC milling machine, instead of molding the part.
I'm pretty sure it is indeed 3d printed, I can see what looks like "banding" on the sides, like it was printed in layers. That said, nothing really wrong with that, but absolutely the official Korean unit looks much better made.

I'm pretty sure it is indeed 3d printed, I can see what looks like "banding" on the sides, like it was printed in layers. That said, nothing really wrong with that, but absolutely the official Korean unit looks much better made.

It is NOT 3d printed....
Meanwhile, the Ukrainian Adapter is much solid than the stock Tesla adapter (sorry, it is made in Taiwan, I believe it is cost-down version)

Status
Not open for further replies.