Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit CCS compatibility onto earlier (NA) Model 3 - DIY approach

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yes, I understand that. I was simply commenting on how its wrong to charge based on time rather than per unit of energy. Doesn't matter how "close" it is, its still not right

Gov keeps pushing for electric cars, but they can't figure out simple stuff like the proper way to charge for energy
Well, then you can be like the California Department of Measurement Standards and require the charging stations comply with revenue grade metering, inspection by the Department, and display the price on the "pump" like a gas pump does. As these regs come into effect, Tesla will have to provide displays on the Supercharger pedestals showing the price and dispensed quantity with the required accuracy.

The service center I bought it from told me the system showed that the 80-B was the latest variant and was no different than the 00-B.
NEVER TRUST SERVICE CENTER ADVICE.
(At least for anything remotely technical)

Tesla's reps are overly trained to "bullsh^t things they don't know, that sound plausible, to make people go away".

The digit extension at the end refers to the "variant" of the same basic ECU. -80- is the "stripped" ECU - it has no PLC modem, thus isn't CCS capable. This has been mentioned several times and indeed is even in the first post. Don't get the -80- version. Functionally, at the moment, they're correct... the -80-B version has no more or less features than the -00-B, as Tesla exists today -- without formally acknowledging (and in fact, formally denying in every way) the CCS functionality. Except, when you get the -80-B, you'll get "CCS adapter support: Not installed". Bit of a difference, yeah!

I have a saved search on eBay for the base part number ("tesla 1537264"), and I recently noticed one ECU go up. That's the -80- version. Whoever buys it will be disappointed. It was probably from someone that just upgraded their car with an -00- version to get CCS ;)

Don't tell Tesla why you want it (see #1: never trust service center advice). Feel free to tell them what you did later, though - if you want to impress them. They love to make-sh^t-up, but they're even happier to learn from concrete evidence (a 2018 Model 3, saying CCS enabled, with a 1537264-00-B ECU, that charges perfectly normally in all modes). But it's "guilty until proven innocent" with them for good reason - people very frequently stumble into a service center having just completed a full frontal lobotomy, and they need to be held through every step of every menial task. Or they read and misinterpreted something somewhere on the internet (I wonder how prevalent that is for this thread...) 🤔

If in doubt, ask here. 😄

Tesla's reps are overly trained to "bullsh^t things they don't know, that sound plausible, to make people go away".

The digit extension at the end refers to the "variant" of the same basic ECU. -80- is the "stripped" ECU - it has no PLC modem, thus isn't CCS capable. This has been mentioned several times and indeed is even in the first post. Don't get the -80- version. Functionally, at the moment, they're correct... the -80-B version has no more or less features than the -00-B, as Tesla exists today -- without formally acknowledging (and in fact, formally denying in every way) the CCS functionality. Except, when you get the -80-B, you'll get "CCS adapter support: Not installed". Bit of a difference, yeah!

I have a saved search on eBay for the base part number ("tesla 1537264"), and I recently noticed one ECU go up. That's the -80- version. Whoever buys it will be disappointed. It was probably from someone that just upgraded their car with an -00- version to get CCS ;)

Don't tell Tesla why you want it (see #1: never trust service center advice). Feel free to tell them what you did later, though - if you want to impress them. They love to make-sh^t-up, but they're even happier to learn from concrete evidence (a 2018 Model 3, saying CCS enabled, with a 1537264-00-B ECU, that charges perfectly normally in all modes). But it's "guilty until proven innocent" with them for good reason - people very frequently stumble into a service center having just completed a full frontal lobotomy, and they need to be held through every step of every menial task. Or they read and misinterpreted something somewhere on the internet (I wonder how prevalent that is for this thread...) 🤔

If in doubt, ask here. 😄
Yep that was my point. They don’t know anything and Tesla is telling them they’re the same bc the only difference is CCS support which is currently not a thing in North America for all intents and purposes. Also I may or may not have sold my 80-B unit on eBay recently ;)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: FalconFour

If in doubt, ask here. 😄
I spoke to four different SC's today within 3-hour drive from home. Three of them were telling me that -80-B is latest and straight out refused to order 00-B for me. The fourth one first said that the part is backordered and they have no ETA. I insisted that I want to put the order in, and finally the rep told me the order is in. The order appears in Tesla app, but magically the part number changed to -80-B. I start talking to them again and it's a different rep now, he starts with the "80 is the latest revision, that's the part number you need." Two minutes later it changed to "that's the only part number you can order" It felt like I was talking to a brick wall. I cancelled the order, obviously, but I am very much disappointed in Tesla's customer service and general attitude now.

I spoke to four different SC's today within 3-hour drive from home. Three of them were telling me that -80-B is latest and straight out refused to order 00-B for me. The fourth one first said that the part is backordered and they have no ETA. I insisted that I want to put the order in, and finally the rep told me the order is in. The order appears in Tesla app, but magically the part number changed to -80-B. I start talking to them again and it's a different rep now, he starts with the "80 is the latest revision, that's the part number you need." Two minutes later it changed to "that's the only part number you can order" It felt like I was talking to a brick wall. I cancelled the order, obviously, but I am very much disappointed in Tesla's customer service and general attitude now.
Part of me doesn’t blame them though bc they literally don’t know any better. And CCS is not a thing in North America as far as Tesla is concerned at this point so why would you need part 00-B from a Tesla perspective? It’s all just a cluster rn unfortunately

There's one bargaining card you can use. The "Additional Vehicle Info" DOES expose the CCS adapter compatibility, and they can't deny it has an impact on that (as it's pretty provable).

"If I order the -80-B, will my car say CCS adapter support: enabled, or not installed?"
Tesla rep: "Uhhhh"
"Does the -80-B version include the PLC modem hardware?"
Tesla rep: *brain fuzz, dial-up modem sounds with static eyes* Uhh, "CCS isn't supported yet."
"Yeah, but it's right there in the car on the Additional Vehicle Info page. If I buy an -80-B, it won't be available, because the -80-B is literally only missing the PLC hardware."
Tesla rep: "but does it matter?"
"The only reason I'm even buying this is to enable CCS adapter support for the future" (they don't know how immediate the future is, but not sure if this is a good thing to even mention)
Tesla rep: (checkmate)
"please just order the -00-B and make sure it doesn't get replaced with an -80-B"

One can hope, at least.

There's one bargaining card you can use. The "Additional Vehicle Info" DOES expose the CCS adapter compatibility, and they can't deny it has an impact on that (as it's pretty provable).

"If I order the -80-B, will my car say CCS adapter support: enabled, or not installed?"
Tesla rep: *brain fuzz, dial-up modem sounds with static eyes* Uhh, "CCS isn't supported yet."
"Yeah, but it's right there in the car on the Additional Vehicle Info page. If I buy an -80-B, it won't be available, because the -80-B is literally only missing the PLC hardware."
"The only reason I'm even buying this is to enable CCS adapter support for the future" (they don't know how immediate the future is, but not sure if this is a good thing to even mention)
"please just order the -00-B and make sure it doesn't get replaced with an -80-B"

One can hope, at least.
Can someone who had to go through with this nonsense advise if you had better luck dealing with Tesla in person or over the phone? Is there some arcane way for a layman to order a part from the online catalog directly?

I think shops that have registered as Tesla-approved providers, or whatever, can order parts like that. I sincerely hope someone that knows of one can pop in here and contact them, maybe, get them involved. Surely a few folks would be willing to pay +$20 or so for the ability to just buy the dang part without the headache of explaining (or not) this stuff to Tesla service.

I kinda feel bad now - my experience was such that: I walk in, I say "hey I'd like this part", guy says "yea we've got one have a seat i'll brb", pulls it out of the back, I look at it, he's like "$140" or whatever, "pay with the card on file?", I say "Yup", ding bang boom, walk out with a new ECU in minutes. Of course, my experience had been that it was IMPOSSIBLE to access Tesla service/parts via electronic means (phone, app, web, or otherwise - calling them just routes you to the national Tesla brain-numbing center), so I defaulted to walking-in and asking.

Anyone know a Tesla-approved body shop, perhaps, that can order parts? 🤔 Surely a charge port ECU would be damaged every now and then by an accident, hmmmmm...

Reactions: wlee and ager01
There's one about a mile from my house. Unfortunately they are not open tomorrow (Saturday). I'll try them on Monday and see what they say.

I've also got feelers out to two used car parts vendors for the Gen4 ECU.

edit: I'm also planning on visiting my favorite service center on Monday in person. They never returned my phone call from several days back.

Well, then you can be like the California Department of Measurement Standards and require the charging stations comply with revenue grade metering, inspection by the Department, and display the price on the "pump" like a gas pump does. As these regs come into effect, Tesla will have to provide displays on the Supercharger pedestals showing the price and dispensed quantity with the required accuracy.
you misunderstand me. I want LESS regulation. Right now, for example, tesla would like to charge per unit but there are areas with regulations favoring the utility companies which means tesla has to charge by time

Can someone who had to go through with this nonsense advise if you had better luck dealing with Tesla in person or over the phone? Is there some arcane way for a layman to order a part from the online catalog directly?
From what I've seen with people's experiences, YMMV from one service center to another. I've ordered parts through email from my nearest service center a few years ago. When I tried to do that for the Gen 4 CP ECU I was told to order it through the app by scheduling a service request. I did, and was messaged that the part was not in stock and they would have to order it. 10 days later they had it in and was told I could go pick it up from the service center. I showed up and they were able to charge my CC on file.

The only negative thing I could say about my experience is that my service center told me they don't ship parts out to customers. That meant I had to drive 1 hour 40 minutes to and from to get the CP ECU. In years past, they were able to send the parts with a mobile service technician and I could meet him at my nearest Superchargers at a specified time and date. They don't do that anymore either. I blame my state (Nebraska) and it's dealership franchise laws for now allowing business models like Tesla's. For that reason Tesla had to make their service center right across the border in Iowa.

I think shops that have registered as Tesla-approved providers, or whatever, can order parts like that. I sincerely hope someone that knows of one can pop in here and contact them, maybe, get them involved. Surely a few folks would be willing to pay +$20 or so for the ability to just buy the dang part without the headache of explaining (or not) this stuff to Tesla service.

I kinda feel bad now - my experience was such that: I walk in, I say "hey I'd like this part", guy says "yea we've got one have a seat i'll brb", pulls it out of the back, I look at it, he's like "$140" or whatever, "pay with the card on file?", I say "Yup", ding bang boom, walk out with a new ECU in minutes. Of course, my experience had been that it was IMPOSSIBLE to access Tesla service/parts via electronic means (phone, app, web, or otherwise - calling them just routes you to the national Tesla brain-numbing center), so I defaulted to walking-in and asking.

Anyone know a Tesla-approved body shop, perhaps, that can order parts? 🤔 Surely a charge port ECU would be damaged every now and then by an accident, hmmmmm...
Alternatively, since most of us doing this are planning on getting the ccs adapter from South Korea anyway, perhaps there’s a South Korean intermediary that could order a Korean ECU and the ccs adapter?

Gen3: 1092755-04-B
Gen4: 1537264-10-B

No idea what the difference compared to the 00-B is for the gen4 ecu, but at least the gen 3 variant should be a legit gen 3 ECU that supports both ccs and the tpc superchargers.

• Informative
Reactions: FalconFour
The only negative thing I could say about my experience is that my service center told me they don't ship parts out to customers.
I’ve never heard of this before. Seems like everything varies from service center to service center with Tesla. No consistency because I just had one shipped to me from Richmond, VA 2 states over. They just asked for my VIN to make certain that I was a Tesla owner.
That meant I had to drive 1 hour 40 minutes to and from to get the CP ECU. In years past, they were able to send the parts with a mobile service technician and I could meet him at my nearest Superchargers at a specified time and date. They don't do that anymore either. I blame my state (Nebraska) and it's dealership franchise laws for now allowing business models like Tesla's. For that reason Tesla had to make their service center right across the border in Iowa.
South Carolina doesn’t allow Tesla service centers either (the statute is actually ambiguous) but mobile service and shipping of parts is allowed for sure. Just like you can buy parts for anything else on eBay and ship it to your house.

you misunderstand me. I want LESS regulation. Right now, for example, tesla would like to charge per unit but there are areas with regulations favoring the utility companies which means tesla has to charge by time
I'm just saying, be careful what you wish for. The local utility has an interest in being the only one allowed to sell electricity by the kWh. One way around that is to classify what a charging station is dispensing as a "motor fuel" instead of selling electricity. Then, you're subject to the kind of regulations that apply to dispensing motor fuels, just like the CA DMS did. There's no free lunch and there are very few areas that are completely free from government regulation.

Here in Canada we are stuck with per minute billing until the Canadian Government allows for billing by kWh. It should be kWh everywhere.
Back in December 2020 this article was posted on driveteslacanada.ca
It linked to a page on a Canadian government web site which stated (and still states):
In the next 18 months, we expect to allow existing and new electric vehicle (EV) charging stations that meet established technical standards to charge based on kilowatt-hours (kWh) consumed.
If they're still on track with this (though being the government, likely they're not), EV charger billing by the kWh will be allowed sometime around July of this year (2022).

I'm just saying, be careful what you wish for. The local utility has an interest in being the only one allowed to sell electricity by the kWh. One way around that is to classify what a charging station is dispensing as a "motor fuel" instead of selling electricity. Then, you're subject to the kind of regulations that apply to dispensing motor fuels, just like the CA DMS did. There's no free lunch and there are very few areas that are completely free from government regulation.
It doesn't have to get that complicated. The cool thing about electricity is that is a public utility, gas is not. We simply need the public utility commissions that oversee rates to do what is right and redefine how electricity is charged

btw, the fact that electricity is a public utility is the only reason that electric vehicles make sense. If electricity was sold as a commodity like gas, does anyone really think it would as cheap as it is right now?? Public utility commissions are extremely important right now. They are the only thing protecting us from electric energy costs becoming as expensive as oil

Reactions: ager01
There's no free lunch and there are very few areas that are completely free from government regulation.
Government Protections you mean. Who would complain that the corporation selling you something has to actually prove that they are selling what they SAY they are selling. There is a financial incentive for them to sell you nothing and TELL you that they sold you what you wanted.

Like Churchill said, Worst form of government, except for all the others

Reactions: ager01

One can hope, at least.

This would not be the first time that "something took off" here at TMC and actually ended up appearing to change some process or other. I am 99% convinced that the fact that rate matching on car loans through tesla stopped was due to activity around rate matching generated from here.

Note, that I have no idea, have no contact with tesla over anything like this, and TMC is a completely separate website as you all know. With that being said, TMC is a very large website dedicated to "tesla discussion" and many threads are result number 1 in your favorite search engine when looking at tesla topics.

I would not be surprised in the slightest if some algorithm within tesla or other surfaced the fact that, "all of a sudden, people are buying ECUs for model 3s as a part and not scheduling service center install" or something and flagged something internally.

I seriously dont know, and am not trying to be coy or something, but it wouldnt surprise me in the slightest.

I may have inadvertently caused the compatibility flagging issue when I was going through my motions early-on... as in the early thread, one of my steps was to visit service and ask them to install the Gen4, which they claimed to just be compatible (at the time). They ran into the same issues I did. I later got it working and reported back that, no, of course it's not, Gen4 is an entirely different port. Next thing we know, people are being told "Nuh uhh! of course that can't work" instead of what I was told: "of course it works". (thus I say... never trust service at face value, lol)

I do think the ECU availability issue is a separate thing, though. There's a legit supply issue there, it seems, and the solution may have been - as it was in 2021 before all this buzz was even a murmur - to just ship the -80- without PLC. That's probably again the solution today. Thus it's hard/impossible to find an -00- with PLC.

I don't suspect it'll stay hard-to-get. We're just in a weird position now, where Tesla wants to build cars, and we want CCS on the cars we already have. Guess who gets priority! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.