Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit CCS compatibility onto earlier (NA) Model 3 - DIY approach

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Most DC fast chargers are limited to 350 amps, even most of the 350kw ones. If your car only accepts 400 volts, that'll max out at 140kw.

The passive adapters should handle more amps, but you'll have to find one of the 350kw chargers that supports higher amps.... Apparently many of the EVGo 350kw ones?

Reactions: FalconFour
Man, not Another Thing to learn about public charge stations. Plugshare seems focused on collecting data about the max KW, even though they USED to have a field for max Amps. I think their DB still does (according to the API docs), but not really available from the app.

Most DC fast chargers are limited to 350 amps, even most of the 350kw ones. If your car only accepts 400 volts, that'll max out at 140kw.

The passive adapters should handle more amps, but you'll have to find one of the 350kw chargers that supports higher amps.... Apparently many of the EVGo 350kw ones?
Yup. There's a new installation of 350kW EVgo stations about a mile from where I work - super convenient (and actually closer than a Supercharger). The "300a" rating on the Tesla adapter is really one of those "I don't even know why they wrote that on there" things - it's passive and thus up to the car/station to limit amperage, so who knows why it's so low. I'm getting north of 500 amps at that station ;)

Reactions: wlee
Yup. There's a new installation of 350kW EVgo stations about a mile from where I work - super convenient (and actually closer than a Supercharger). The "300a" rating on the Tesla adapter is really one of those "I don't even know why they wrote that on there" things - it's passive and thus up to the car/station to limit amperage, so who knows why it's so low. I'm getting north of 500 amps at that station ;)
I suppose its possible Tesla doesn't consider the adapter safe for >300A. But then you would think the car would enforce a limit instead of risking a melted adapter or fire.

I wonder if the South Korean charge ECUs enforce a limit

Reactions: wlee and davewill
The limit could be due to the plastic on the adapter not being rated to handle higher heat (at higher currents). The adapter does not have temperature sensors, so Tesla has to rely on the sensors that are in the charge port.

I also have a CCS adapter coming from South Korea and will do the mod on my early 2018 Model 3 LR RWD. I haven't ever needed nor do I expect to ever need CCS charging, but I know somebody with an older Model 3 that wants that capability. I will be doing the retrofit to demo it to him and possibly help him with retrofitting his car (maybe even selling him my adapter, harness adapter, and gen 4 ECU).

Reactions: FalconFour and wlee
The limit could be due to the plastic on the adapter not being rated to handle higher heat (at higher currents). The adapter does not have temperature sensors, so Tesla has to rely on the sensors that are in the charge port.

I also have a CCS adapter coming from South Korea and will do the mod on my early 2018 Model 3 LR RWD. I haven't ever needed nor do I expect to ever need CCS charging, but I know somebody with an older Model 3 that wants that capability. I will be doing the retrofit to demo it to him and possibly help him with retrofitting his car (maybe even selling him my adapter, harness adapter, and gen 4 ECU).
I was able to get 360 amps on a Electrify Canada station.

Reactions: wlee
I ordered in by Harum.io

You need to give your account info because it is only one adapter by account.
That's also the service I used (Harum.io). Seems like they are now familiar with the order process, because they asked me for my login info as well because Tesla only allows one adapter per VIN. They even have a page setup on their website that details the order process specifically for the Tesla CCS1 Adapter :D Get your Tesla's CCS1 Adapter From Korea!

• Helpful
Reactions: FalconFour and wlee
I suppose its possible Tesla doesn't consider the adapter safe for >300A. But then you would think the car would enforce a limit instead of risking a melted adapter or fire.

I wonder if the South Korean charge ECUs enforce a limit
It's entirely possible that the car cannot detect the use of the adapter. It COULD assume that any CCS use on a US spec car must be through the adapter and therefore limit it to 300a, but they seem to have chose not to. The other possibility is that since they are not selling the adapter here, yet, they simply haven't updated the car's firmware to enforce this.

Reactions: wlee and FalconFour
It is clearly more than 300 amps.
Charge screen of Electrify Canada on my Model 3.

Attachments

• 20220409_085609.jpg
    20220409_085609.jpg
    409.7 KB · Views: 872
That's also the service I used (Harum.io). Seems like they are now familiar with the order process, because they asked me for my login info as well because Tesla only allows one adapter per VIN. They even have a page setup on their website that details the order process specifically for the Tesla CCS1 Adapter :D Get your Tesla's CCS1 Adapter From Korea!
How long did the service take?

Did you give them your original Tesla login account? Or made a second account?

Thanks

I found a 500amps 350kw DC fast charger in Laval QC. I'm gonna look that out this weekend.

Reactions: android04
Keep in mind that those 350 kW fast chargers will likely only put out 350 kW when charging an EV with an 800V battery. Still curious to know what rates you achieve.
350kW chargers generally come in two varieties: 350A limited and 500A limited. They will give you up to about 133kW and 190kW respectively on a 400V Tesla vehicle like a 3 or Y. The latest Model S & X have a higher voltage battery pack, so they give about 14% faster charging because of the 110S vs. 96S pack layout.

Status
Not open for further replies.