Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit CCS compatibility onto earlier (NA) Model 3 - DIY approach

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been trying for 2 weeks to get the new gen 4 "00" ECU without any sucess. My local shop said they didn't have any when I went there in person, and they won't return my calls. I've tried just about every Texas SC number, and no one answers the phone, they all say to leave a message. Finally got a "central" SC on the line and was told to order the part through the app, so I've done a service request through the app asking to have the part shipped to me. We'll see how that goes.

On the plus side, I just got my invoice from Tesla Korea, so it looks like my adapter from Harumio will be on its way to me soon.

There's one about a mile from my house. Unfortunately they are not open tomorrow (Saturday). I'll try them on Monday and see what they say.

I've also got feelers out to two used car parts vendors for the Gen4 ECU.

edit: I'm also planning on visiting my favorite service center on Monday in person. They never returned my phone call from several days back.
Okay, here's my story. TL;DR version first: Ordered Gen4 ECU from Sunnyvale Service. The wait begins....

Long version: Went to a Tesla Certified body shop on Winfield Ave. near my home. They were known as Fix Auto and are now Horizon. The service associate said that they normally can order parts but because of their business name change, it will probably be a couple of weeks before they can do so. That could be problematic for the two dozen or so cars that were in their shop being repaired. I saw one Model 3 that had what looked to be a broken driver side rear quarter window; maybe a victim of a smash-and-grab.

Went to Santa Clara Service and when I got there the line of cars waiting to check in was out to the street (about 12-15 cars). This was around 10:30am. Walked in to talk to a service agent and he said that they couldn't do anything at the moment and that I should use the Service section in the app to order the parts. I wasn't sure if that advice was SOP or they were so slammed this morning that they didn't want to or couldn't help me. Not wanting to do that right away I turned to Plan B.

Drove to the Sunnyvale Service Center and walked up to the (empty) counters and waited a couple of minutes for one of the advisors to come back in from checking cars in in the service lane. I told him I'd like to order a couple of parts for my car (my missing Sensor Target and the Gen4 ECU). He pulled up my info using my phone number. He had the Sensor Target in stock but it was an older 00-A version, as the current 00-B version was out-of-stock. As expected, the charge port ECU was not available so I ordered one. At no time did he say that the ECU was incompatible with my car so I didn't have to explain what I was going to do with the part. He said it might take 10 days to 2 weeks for it to arrive. I'm still looking into other avenues to obtain the ECU, maybe for cheaper.

The two companies I contacted via email both said they don't have any at the moment. I've put my name on a wait list but I'm not expecting too much from them.

And late last night I got emails from DHL and Harumio saying that the CCS adapter has shipped. The pieces are falling into place.... :)

Boom. Out with the old. In with the new.
IMG_0186.jpeg
IMG_0185.jpeg
IMG_0187.jpeg

IMG_0189.jpeg
IMG_0190.jpeg

Drove up to the SC and popped into service mode. Tore open the trunk. And just yanked the ECU without shutting down or anything 😬 Screen started to throw a couple errors. Hit software reinstall. 15 min later all good! CCS Enabled. Thanks y’all.

I just spoke to yet another SC part department and the rep gave me a hint that there will be a different part number (and part revision) when Tesla officially activates CCS charging in NA. Until then they cannot order 00-B at all. I am taking this with a grain of salt, but this convo out of many I've had over last 5-6 days made most sense. At least I was not told right away that 80-B is the best and the latest and the rep actually brought up CCS on his own.

there will be a different part number (and part revision) when Tesla officially activates CCS charging in NA
Yup, that's been my theory all along. It'll likely still be the Gen4 board, but with different pins and different firmware.

But the cars they're building today still need ECUs, yeah? So they're just shipping the -80-s today (stripped - same board, no PLC), and hopefully back to the -00-s again later. I'd wonder what happens with new cars now AGAIN saying "not installed"...

Boom. Out with the old. In with the new.
View attachment 799902View attachment 799901View attachment 799903
View attachment 799904View attachment 799905

Drove up to the SC and popped into service mode. Tore open the trunk. And just yanked the ECU without shutting down or anything 😬 Screen started to throw a couple errors. Hit software reinstall. 15 min later all good! CCS Enabled. Thanks y’all.
This dude's got me wondering, because THAT isn't what service mode normally looks like! It's a Gen4 car ... but the additional vehicle info shows it's an Atom - the odd service mode border made me think it was a Ryzen at first. The heck? Maybe they changed how Service Mode looks in the most recent update... can't wait to see it myself (with FSD) :)

Yup, that's been my theory all along. It'll likely still be the Gen4 board, but with different pins and different firmware.

But the cars they're building today still need ECUs, yeah? So they're just shipping the -80-s today (stripped - same board, no PLC), and hopefully back to the -00-s again later. I'd wonder what happens with new cars now AGAIN saying "not installed"...

This dude's got me wondering, because THAT isn't what service mode normally looks like! It's a Gen4 car ... but the additional vehicle info shows it's an Atom - the odd service mode border made me think it was a Ryzen at first. The heck? Maybe they changed how Service Mode looks in the most recent update... can't wait to see it myself (with FSD) :)
Here's a 2018 loaner that was in service mode running 2022.12.3.1

Attachments

• 20220423_135237.jpg
    20220423_135237.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 131
  • Informative
Reactions: Guacahummus
I've heard they made some changes to service mode in one of the newer software versions

• Informative
Reactions: FalconFour

I thought the same thing. I guess it's time to swing by my SC and try service mode again. ;)

Maybe they changed how Service Mode looks in the most recent update

Only thing I'm seeing different there is the "vehicle info" page - everything else looks just like it always had, to me. (notice similar screens in the beginning of the thread here?) I like the border though. Much easier to clean-up in posts than the blurring/hiding of the VIN in the big "watermark" style.

Still, cool. I deeply hope they haven't changed the mechanism to access. It's still not quite "out there" and I hope they're still satisfied with the lack of people causing headaches for them by accessing SM and then breaking stuff. Hopefully that's a minimum :)

Government Protections you mean. Who would complain that the corporation selling you something has to actually prove that they are selling what they SAY they are selling. There is a financial incentive for them to sell you nothing and TELL you that they sold you what you wanted.

Like Churchill said, Worst form of government, except for all the others
They have no problem figuring out what it's costing me per kWh for my house electricity...

Only thing I'm seeing different there is the "vehicle info" page - everything else looks just like it always had, to me. (notice similar screens in the beginning of the thread here?) I like the border though. Much easier to clean-up in posts than the blurring/hiding of the VIN in the big "watermark" style.

Still, cool. I deeply hope they haven't changed the mechanism to access. It's still not quite "out there" and I hope they're still satisfied with the lack of people causing headaches for them by accessing SM and then breaking stuff. Hopefully that's a minimum :)

I drove by the SC today while still running 2022.12.3.1, got into service mode, and lo and behold I had the new version with the red border. Much better than the old one that overlays your VIN across the middle of the screen in 72pt red. I saw a couple of minor differences in UI, and the maybe there are a few new options in the main list of toggleable options. Sorry, I didn't have time to take a pictures in order to do a comparison.

Access to it was the same as before. I was worried because the referenced article references a twitter post, and the twitter post has a comment to the effect of "what is the new password?", but it's the same as it was when I tried this in February while running 2022.4.5.

• Helpful
Reactions: FalconFour
They have no problem figuring out what it's costing me per kWh for my house electricity...
I'll vouch, at least, that there is complication in the EV charging space...

Are we metering at the input to the station? If so, you're gonna get REKT and slightly annoyed at minimum, if you're billed per meter kWh. Charging stations aren't completely efficient like you'd hope they would be - you'll get 20 kWh stored in the battery, but billed for 23 kWh for example. Especially in the case with Tesla, applying 4kW-8kW of DC charging power as battery heating (depending on single/dual motor), if the station is slow, you can end up with a hellova discrepancy (something EVgo had to deal with, in customer raging confusion about the discrepancies).

So, do we bill at the DC output side (thus including drift of battery-charging and heating losses), bill based on what the car reports (most customer-centric pricing; CCS has that data, but I don't know if CHAdeMO does - but could a n'er-do-well be manipulating it?), or bill based on the meter (simplest, most-accurate, least-favorable to customers)? 🤔

In any case, uhh, I am certainly contributing to this off-topic subject, but it's darn juicy. haha

Is Petro-Canada charging stations all over Canada? How is its rate compared to Tesla's supercharger?
Yes, We’ll drive to the Cabot trail this summer. I’ve added several Petro Canada Electric Circuits fast chargers (150 to 200kW) in my favorites. The one in Laval is 350kW in PlugShare. The rate is usually 15$ CAD / hour. Tesla is much more expensive, two to three times more expensive in Canada unfortunately. The invoices are showing the minutes and tier not the kWh. It’s very unfortunate.

Reactions: DoubleDD
Petro-Canada are having DC fast Chargers at every 100-200km along the Transcanadian Highway. They price in Quebec is 0.20$/minute and in other provinces 0.33$/minute. Compared to Tesla it is really cheaper. Tesla is at 1.85$/minute for power over 180kw and 1.35$/minute for charging between 100kw and 180kw.
I confirm. I drove to Saint Johh, New Brunswick a week ago. The Tesla superchargers most of the time are close to the Electric Circuits (Petro Canada) fast chargers. The price is accurate, the one in Grand Sault is 0.25$ CAD/ minute (200kW) Tesla is now very expensive in Canada. The CCS combo will save you a lot of money for the long distance road trips. The electricity is green and cheap in Quebec. The average cost of electricity in Quebec is 7.3¢/kWh. I’m not sure the price of the Tesla superchargers will go back down when Measurement Canada will have completed the transition to per-kWh billing. However, there would be more competition and it's going to mean lower prices. Replacing the gaz monopoly by another is not the ideal solution. Fortunately electricity is produced locally so Tesla can’t control everything. In Nova Scotia FLO has partnershiped with NS power. In Quebec it’s Electric Circuits. It will be more difficult this time for the large corporations to establish a monopoly to control the market, hopefully.

Reactions: DoubleDD and ager01
Status
Not open for further replies.