Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,
When I ordered my Model S, it came with the standard White Alcantara Headliner as I didn't want to upgrade to the Premium Interior Package to get the black (and the rest of the items in that add-on didn't seem worth the value). I'm now wondering if it's possible to retrofit the headliner from the white to the black.

My Model S has the panoramic roof and I've popped up a few of the panels to run dashcam/power cabling so I wonder the rest of the panels can pop off as easily.

My questions:
  • Has anyone done a retrofit like this?
  • Has anyone had it done via Tesla at the Service Center? If so, how much was it?
  • Would it be crazy to get the parts (whether somehow directly through Tesla or from a salvage) and do it myself?
  • Has anyone done this aftermarket? How close to OEM is it? How much? Any shops in SoCal?
I did some searching on the forums, though I had been unable to find any conversation about this topic, so forgive me if it's out there and I didn't stumble across it.

I am in the process of doing it. I have a 2013 with the much hated beige cloth (with grey seats) which is now almost black and poorly done. I took it to a local car upholstery place and quoted me $1200 and I left it there. I saw when they took it out and no problem at all. I will send pics when done. It is not hard to take out if you take it to a place that knows what they are doing with cars.

You can change it to black, but it’s a pain. I did it to my 2014 before black headliner was even an option. Had to do my visors, upper pillars, all the associated plastics had to be painted black too as they were tan.

Suggest picking up an entirely different vehicle lol. Mine looked awesome, but would trade for a different vehicle before doing that again.