Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Return of phantom 16 amp charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would you mind having a look at around 4am this morning on any logging too you have which records voltage. There are a number of people reporting an "event" which correlates to voltage, and at the exact same time power demand was high (seen in frequency charts) calling for an increase in voltage.

This is mine -
View attachment 557581

Not quite as dramatic as yours, but mine went to 17 amps at exactly the same time yesterday

charge.JPG

Not quite as dramatic as yours, but mine went to 17 amps at exactly the same time yesterday

View attachment 557791

Intresting. That makes 5 people I've seen with an issue at the same time.

Are the cars now overly sensitive to grid frequency changes? As grid watch shows a dip at that time (dip in frequency = increased demand)

And for those who like tinfoil hats - Is the mother ship telling our cars to reduce consumption to meet generation? :D

Got me again last night. I needed a decent charge today so set the alarm for 4am just in case. Lo and behold, half the normal charge rate. Bleary eyed I reset it and off it went and seemed to maintain at 32amp. Getting annoying now.

Also when I was out I got the incoming call not connected issue which then shut off all cabin sounds. Waited a couple of minutes and then all came back including Spotify at full blast! I submitted a bug report or at least I tried to because voice control also seems to have gone backwards. All that and intermittent Sentry functionality leaves me wondering if Tesla's main software guys are all high.

This last update has been a crock to be fair!

re the Bluetooth bug from my service request:

after sending them some times it occurred:

We have now been able to determine that the intermittent audio drop outs are being caused by a known firmware bug on current firmware levels. This bug is currently under investigation by our engineering team and a fix will be implemented in the next big update 2020.24. Until then, performing a scroll wheel reset should alleviate any symptoms. We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause until then.

Kind Regards,
Tesla Service

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
So I got this text this morning

Hi Andre, diagnosis for your concern is now complete. This issue is under investigation, and is likely firmware related. I will cancel the appointment for now. Please rebook should you continue to experience issues after the next firmware update.

Thank you.
Tesla Service.”

So all I can do is wait now, I guess.

Reactions: Roy W.

Hi Andre, diagnosis for your concern is now complete. This issue is under investigation, and is likely firmware related. I will cancel the appointment for now. Please rebook should you continue to experience issues after the next firmware update.

Thank you.
Tesla Service.”

My message said "firmware characteristic" which is a long way of saying bug!

• Funny
Reactions: Yev000
I have also had both issues.

Charging drops to 16A during a charge. BT phone I get no sound when people call. The last time I lost all sounds. I was a bit freaked out at silent turn signals. Just when I was about to pull over ~2 min later the radio (and turn signal sounds) came back on.

Thank you.
Tesla Service.”

Had a call saying essentially the same

re the Bluetooth bug from my service request:

after sending them some times it occurred:

We have now been able to determine that the intermittent audio drop outs are being caused by a known firmware bug on current firmware levels. This bug is currently under investigation by our engineering team and a fix will be implemented in the next big update 2020.24. Until then, performing a scroll wheel reset should alleviate any symptoms. We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause until then.

Kind Regards,
Tesla Service
Thanks for that - I'm still booked in at MK service on the 17th July but heard nothing yet. Fully expect it to be cancelled with the new firmware update. Until then it's lottery charging and earplugs if you get the "no cabin sounds" issue!

Reactions: drewpost
Same here, always had 30A since I got the car in March, but now it’s dropping to 18A, I only noticed last night when I was checking the level before I went to bed. Looked on Teslafi and it’s been doing it since 2020.20.12 update.

BT Audio for calls drops and when it does I lose all sounds, including indicators.

I have also notice my range has dropped around 3%. I always got around 279miles at 90%, now down to 270miles.

Attachments

• C6F27400-DEBD-47C0-A2D0-08CF25FCC5A0.jpeg
    C6F27400-DEBD-47C0-A2D0-08CF25FCC5A0.jpeg
    467.1 KB · Views: 37
Just looked at this thread for the first time after my car failed to reach the expected SoC during the 4 hour low rate period on Octopus Go with start and stop time set on the Zappi. Found from Zappi log that charging started at 32A and soon dropped to 16A. I think I recall a release note from a s/w upgrade that said the car would now control charging to reach the desired SoC by the expected departure time. This would optimise battery life. This could explain the problem - not a bug but a feature. Not a great feature if the chargepoint is designed to turn off the supply at an early hour.

Just come across this thread, the last 2 times I’ve used source London the charge has dropped from 8 to 4 kWh after about 30mins. Both were on the same unit which I’ve not used before so I chalked it up to a faulty charger. It’s doubly annoying given that they charge (A lot) by the minute! Now wondering if it’s firmware issue. I’ll try a different unit next time