Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Return of phantom 16 amp charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay I'm glad I'm not the only one. I thought maybe my battery was just degrading and so the charge time was starting to slow down lol.

4870fcd27728171f50a225c9d07f697d.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: ACarneiro
If you, or anyone with the same problem, have a data logger such as TeslaFi, could you please check the logs at the time the fault occurred. The pilot current* (ie what the car thinks is the power that the charge point is offering) or charge rate/mi-hr fields might be useful to look at - although I suspect not as things may occur too quick or not at the level reported. * pilot current may be needed to be added to he headers via the edit layout button after you have clicked on the charge icon to show minute by minute stats.

I'm wondering if this is the opposite of the 17A charge problem, that the car is somehow thinking that it should up its charge rate (rather than dropping it to ~17A) and overloading the circuit hence tripping the MCB.

Of course it may show nothing interesting like mine, but I'm only charging at 10A as when I had the issues, I had been earlier topping up on solar.

apologies I don’t have teslafi etc. I’ve noticed when the drop down to 17 A happens, if I stop charging and re start from the Tesla app, the A constantly fluctuates from 0 to 17A. Only a cable disconnect and re connect fixes the issue and charging continues at 32A

Reactions: MrBadger
apologies I don’t have teslafi etc. I’ve noticed when the drop down to 17 A happens, if I stop charging and re start from the Tesla app, the A constantly fluctuates from 0 to 17A. Only a cable disconnect and re connect fixes the issue and charging continues at 32A
Yes, I noticed the 0A to 17A cycling last night on my fifth charge since the update. After a few minutes of this constant current cycling it the just carried on charging at 32A. They’ve really done a good job with this one!

C6F78375-EA5F-422F-9582-CD132FFCD2D9.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Bernard_S
The other question is why isn't everyone seeing this? I am on 2020.20.12. I charge at home on a 32amp Rolec and I don't have this issue (yet). I have another bug on svheduled charge start only that I won't confuse the issue by going into here but not this. I can charge consistently at 32amps.

Yep weirdly mine charged fine last night too. I do have a service call logged and they said they would remotely diagnose...wonder if the service team push code as well as pull data? Still on 20.12

My first charge on 2020.24.6.1 was a yo-yo for the first half hour. It went 30A to 17A so I reduced the charge to 10A then back to 30A screen using the screen. 5 mins later it was back to 17A again. I checked the app half hour later and it showed the charge rate at 0kw then while I was looking at it increased to 4kw then up to 7kw. It then stayed at 7kw for the rest of the charge without a problem (about 2.5 hours). I updated Tesla with all the info and will try another charge early next week.

OK, I'll join the party! I previously didn't think I had this issue. I was only doing short charges and the issue (for me) only seems to kick in after adding more than 11 or 12 kWh. The charge then dropped from 32 amps to 17 amps despite the app reporting that the charger was still offering the car 32 amps. I woke up in the early hours and because I knew I was doing a longer charge took a look at the app. I saw that the rate had dropped so stopped the charge (just with the Tesla app) for a few moments before restarting. The charge did come back up to 32 amps but interestingly during that second phase the rate was struggling to hold 32 amps and was going up and down. The graph of the charge from the Zappi app is below:
charge2706.jpg

Reactions: Roy W.
Just topping up now before a trip to see my dad. Started slowly as expected, rose to 32 amps and then wound back to 17 amps. Stopped the charge, restarted and currently holding at 32 amp.

I'll use quite a lot of charge today and then need a decent top up before mountain biking tomorrow. Could be interesting! Looks like a 4am alarm to ensure I've got enough. PITA!