Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Review: Hankook iON evo AS vs Pirelli AS+ Elect vs Michelin PS 4S vs Michelin PS AS 4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tested all these tires back to back on either a Tesla Model 3 or Y. I have both a Model 3 and a Model Y (wife’s).

My goal was to have a great handling tire (makes me happy) that can handle the occasional snow, is quiet, and has good range.

For context, I have the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires on both the 3 and Y. This is by far the best handling tire, really amazing, our benchmark for handling, and is just a joy to drive. I’m in Colorado though and for nov/dec/apr, we can see temps below 40, which is a no-no for driving the PS4S, so I wanted something more cold tolerant during the shoulder seasons. We have winter wheels (Pirelli Sottozero 3, which we love) for ski season.

Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4:
I drove this on a Performance Model Y (Tesla test drive). Handling is very good, and I hear it’s also very good in the snow. Negatives is that it’s loud and it’s not great for range, the former being more important to me.

Pirelli All Season Plus Elect:
We bought these for our Model Y. Handling is good if not great. And it’s quiet and comfortable, and of course it’s tuned for EVs and has good range. We really really like these tires. I would give the edge to the PS AS 4 for handling, but it is slight and totally not enough to justify the range hit or how loud they are.

Hankook iON evo AS ih01:
I just bought these for my 3. It was a gamble because I couldn’t find any reviews on them. They are brand new to the market. Overall, I definitively do not like them. The handling is terrible for a car like the model 3 w/ AB. It feels super floaty and squirrelly when cornering. The noise level is not great either surprisingly. Strangely enough, it’s relatively louder at slower speeds, but does seem to be quiet on the highway. The Pirelli’s have way better handling and seem quieter all around. Aside from noise and handling, there is one thing the evos does really well. It feels like a bat out if hell when accelerating in a straight line. You can tell the engineering is optimized for that trait. I do like that a lot, and I’m sure it has great range, and I would accept the noise level too, but the handling is just too awful, I can’t accept it. That said, if you’re not a spirited driver, I think the evos are a great value. They’re just not for me.

Overall, I think the Pirelli AS PE hit all the cords I’m looking for. The Michelin PS AS 4’s are a close second and might also be better in snow, but we’re not optimizing for snow since we have winter tires. And the quiet ride and good range is also very much appreciated.

I hope this review helps others out there!

All these new EV tires are very exciting. I’m a huge Michelin fan, but they need to up their game on EV tires. For now, Pirelli is winning my business.

The_tire_wheel_of_TESLA_MODEL_3.jpg

"File:The tire wheel of TESLA MODEL 3.jpg" by Tokumeigakarinoaoshima is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

yeah, really wish they'd sell that tire here. Here in So Cal we don't need all seasons! All the EV focused tires are all seasons in North America right now other than the Michelin PS4 foam lined I think, and that one isn't particularly efficient.
I agree, they could make the summer versions available in California, Arizona & Florida, and there are plenty of EVs in those states. I assume that most of the technology will carry over to the AS version. It will probably be my choice when I have to change, unless there are other 18" EV tires by then to consider besides the Pirelli.

Reactions: XPsionic
Thought I'd share some data that I posted on another thread. There are so many related threads lol.. I may have to create one just comparing the Hankook iON EVO SUV All Seasons to the Michelin PS4 All Seasons.

For some context, I have had Michelin PS4 All Seasons and Summer sets for all my previous cars including the current M3P and MYP. Very familiar with them. Excellent tires, just loud.

We just got back from a road trip that my wife and I frequent. About 300 miles one way. Before leaving for any trip, during and after the trip I write down the nerdy details.

MYP w/ Michelin Pilot Sport 4 All Seasons (255/45R19 @ 42psi) with two passengers, two carry ons and some random bags = 345 Wh/mi (Avg. speed no less than 75MPH, but a good chuck of it at 80 MPH with a lot of 85 MPH stretches.)

MYP w/ Hankook iON EVO SUV All Seasons (255/45R19 @ 42psi) with two passengers, two carry ons and some random bags = 328 Wh/mi (Avg. speed no less than 75MPH, but a good chuck of it at 80 MPH with a lot of 85 MPH stretches.)

Both trips with very similar temps with a delta of only 4 degrees Fahrenheit. Dry conditions and ironically very similar wind direction and speed during those days.

Here's the thing. With the data riding on the Hankook's, in addition to the original cargo, the car was loaded with IKEA shelves, drawer set, pottery, bags of dirt for plants, a cooler full of ICE and drinks, and two boxes w/ 25ft 6 gauge extension cords.

The Hankook's performed about 5% better than the Michelin's in the scenario above and I believe they claim a 6.3% increase in efficiency. Given the handicap above I say that they're pretty spot on being in the claimed ball park.

What we find to be a huge sigh of relief is how much quieter the Hankook's are. NVH is hard to quantify, but the Hankook's are without a shadow of a doubt much quieter than the Michelin's. The tone is a lot lower with a mellow houl vs the high pitch roar of the Michelin's.

The recent experience with the Hankook's has be wanting to get them for my M3P as well, which are riding on the Michelin PS4 All Seasons. If I don't sell my Michelin's now while they are very young, I'll definitely be getting the iON's next.

In my opinion, I think the Michelin PS4 AS are among the best all around tires out there that does everything well. The only category it falls short is with the noise. However, having had the chance to drive a M3P with the Hankook's in wet condition and now owning them on our MYP, there's a new kid on the block that easily should be on anyone's short list of AS tires.

If their Summer tires are as good as their All Seasons, we could soon see a shift in the pecking order.

Great to options.

I'm very interested in your long term review of the FK460s! They very well rated, but I do wonder about their efficiency and noise. In terms of grip and driving feel they seem to be some of the best for high performance all seasons.
reviews in terms of efficiency gains or losses were mixed, so i'll be very curious to see how it really feels .
I also wonder how the side walls will "sit" on the rim. Pirellis - despite the extra rubber ring didn't do anything to protect from curb rash

Thought I'd share some data that I posted on another thread. There are so many related threads lol.. I may have to create one just comparing the Hankook iON EVO SUV All Seasons to the Michelin PS4 All Seasons.

For some context, I have had Michelin PS4 All Seasons and Summer sets for all my previous cars including the current M3P and MYP. Very familiar with them. Excellent tires, just loud.

We just got back from a road trip that my wife and I frequent. About 300 miles one way. Before leaving for any trip, during and after the trip I write down the nerdy details.

MYP w/ Michelin Pilot Sport 4 All Seasons (255/45R19 @ 42psi) with two passengers, two carry ons and some random bags = 345 Wh/mi (Avg. speed no less than 75MPH, but a good chuck of it at 80 MPH with a lot of 85 MPH stretches.)

MYP w/ Hankook iON EVO SUV All Seasons (255/45R19 @ 42psi) with two passengers, two carry ons and some random bags = 328 Wh/mi (Avg. speed no less than 75MPH, but a good chuck of it at 80 MPH with a lot of 85 MPH stretches.)

Both trips with very similar temps with a delta of only 4 degrees Fahrenheit. Dry conditions and ironically very similar wind direction and speed during those days.

Here's the thing. With the data riding on the Hankook's, in addition to the original cargo, the car was loaded with IKEA shelves, drawer set, pottery, bags of dirt for plants, a cooler full of ICE and drinks, and two boxes w/ 25ft 6 gauge extension cords.

The Hankook's performed about 5% better than the Michelin's in the scenario above and I believe they claim a 6.3% increase in efficiency. Given the handicap above I say that they're pretty spot on being in the claimed ball park.

What we find to be a huge sigh of relief is how much quieter the Hankook's are. NVH is hard to quantify, but the Hankook's are without a shadow of a doubt much quieter than the Michelin's. The tone is a lot lower with a mellow houl vs the high pitch roar of the Michelin's.

The recent experience with the Hankook's has be wanting to get them for my M3P as well, which are riding on the Michelin PS4 All Seasons. If I don't sell my Michelin's now while they are very young, I'll definitely be getting the iON's next.

In my opinion, I think the Michelin PS4 AS are among the best all around tires out there that does everything well. The only category it falls short is with the noise. However, having had the chance to drive a M3P with the Hankook's in wet condition and now owning them on our MYP, there's a new kid on the block that easily should be on anyone's short list of AS tires.

If their Summer tires are as good as their All Seasons, we could soon see a shift in the pecking order.

Great to options.
Great review. How's the grip and handling? I love the Michelin AS3+ which is the previous gen to the AS4 you had, they are loud and not efficient but the grip is fun in the mountains and also made the car feel responsive and safe when I had to slam on the brakes.

The stock mxm4s I have now suck so much under braking or when it's wet out, I really wish the ion summers are sold here, but will settle for the ion as if that's all they have, seem like everyone is happy with how quiet the ride is.

Reactions: Elektrick
Great review. How's the grip and handling? I love the Michelin AS3+ which is the previous gen to the AS4 you had, they are loud and not efficient but the grip is fun in the mountains and also made the car feel responsive and safe when I had to slam on the brakes.

The stock mxm4s I have now suck so much under braking or when it's wet out, I really wish the ion summers are sold here, but will settle for the ion as if that's all they have, seem like everyone is happy with how quiet the ride is.

The grip on dry pavement is quite good and at least to me on par with my Michelin PS4 All Seasons. I took it out to my usual spot with a buddy who was testing out his new TEIN suspension and did my usual loops and turns. There's a hill that's also newly paved with a pretty steep incline and I found it to do just as well when flooring it from an inclined starting point.

Speaking of braking performance, I actually think that it stops a tad better than the Michelin's. In fact, there was one video that I saw where in their testing the Hankook's stopped better than the Michelin's.

I see that you're from LA. If you were closer I'd be happy to meet up for a cruise so that you could test out the tires. Oh and btw the Hankook iON EVO SUV tires have a tread rating of 600 vs the Michelin's that are 540 so I hope that the Hankook's last longer than the >25K I usually get out of my Michelin's. That in itself would be pretty sweet all things considered.

Edit: Also in my post above I meant to say "Great to have options." I have no idea what happened there lol.

The grip on dry pavement is quite good and at least to me on par with my Michelin PS4 All Seasons. I took it out to my usual spot with a buddy who was testing out his new TEIN suspension and did my usual loops and turns. There's a hill that's also newly paved with a pretty steep incline and I found it to do just as well when flooring it from an inclined starting point.

Speaking of braking performance, I actually think that it stops a tad better than the Michelin's. In fact, there was one video that I saw where in their testing the Hankook's stopped better than the Michelin's.

I see that you're from LA. If you were closer I'd be happy to meet up for a cruise so that you could test out the tires. Oh and btw the Hankook iON EVO SUV tires have a tread rating of 600 vs the Michelin's that are 540 so I hope that the Hankook's last longer than the >25K I usually get out of my Michelin's. That in itself would be pretty sweet all things considered.

Edit: Also in my post above I meant to say "Great to have options." I have no idea what happened there lol.
Treadwear rating is 540 and NOT 600. At least for the 18-inch - 235/45R18 which is the stock M3LR size.

Link:
Hankook iON Evo AS 235/45R18 at Discount Tire

The treadwear is 600 for the iON EVO SUV line. (255/45R19)

View attachment 958685
Nope. Not as per current Discount Tire listings of both of these products (SUV tires - 255/45R19). See a screenshot below (which I took just now on DT's website).
In fact, the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 is superior, spec-wise, on many counts
  1. Speed rating, Michelins is Y, Hankook is W
  2. Weight, Michelins are 28.53 lbs, Hankooks are 31 lbs
  3. Traction Grade: Michelin is 'AA', Hankooks are 'A'
  4. Price: Michelin is just a little bit cheaper. Moreover, if you wait for the periodic Costco sale (usually $150 off a set), the Michelins are way cheaper.
  5. Tread Grade: SAME at 540 for both
  6. NVH: This is totally subjective. That said, many folks report the Hankooks to be quieter

1. Discount_Tire.jpg

Last edited:
Nope. Not as per current Discount Tire listings of both of these products (SUV tires - 255/45R19). See a screenshot below (which I took just now on DT's website).
In fact, the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 is superior, spec-wise, on many counts
  1. Speed rating, Michelins is Y, Hankook is W
  2. Weight, Michelins are 28.53 lbs, Hankooks are 31 lbs
  3. Traction Grade: Michelin is 'AA', Hankooks are 'A'
  4. Price: Michelin is just a little bit cheaper. Moreover, if you wait for the periodic Costco sale (usually $150 off a set), the Michelins are way cheaper.
  5. Tread Grade: SAME at 540 for both
  6. NVH: This is totally subjective. That said, many folks report the Hankooks to be quieter

1. View attachment 958726
Nope? You're right in that you're 100% wrong and putting all your stock into what's clearly a typo on their website.

You're going off paper specs (a typo, perhaps a copy/paste on their part carried over from the other sizes) and I showed you an actual picture of my tires.

Reality vs A website typo? I wonder which one is correct?

So you're telling me that what I'm looking at in person at the tires that I own are 540 when it clearly shows 600? Hmmm. I have pretty good eye sight.

The reality is the Hankook iON EVO SUV 255/45R19 tires are 600 treadwear.

I believe the Discount tires site has a typo as their smaller tires (235/xxR19s) are 540.

The Hankook's are definitely quieter than the Michelin's.

You should head on over to discount tire and see for yourself. It'll show 600 treadwear for the iON EVO SUV tires in the size shown in your screenshot.

Just trying to keep the facts straight as to not confuse folks who may be looking into the iON EVO SUV tires.

Nope? You're right in that you're 100% wrong and putting all your stock into what's clearly a typo on their website.

You're going off paper specs (a typo, perhaps a copy/paste on their part carried over from the other sizes) and I showed you an actual picture of my tires.

Reality vs A website typo? I wonder which one is correct?

So you're telling me that what I'm looking at in person at the tires that I own are 540 when it clearly shows 600? Hmmm. I have pretty good eye sight.

The reality is the Hankook iON EVO SUV 255/45R19 tires are 600 treadwear.

I believe the Discount tires site has a typo as their smaller tires (235/xxR19s) are 540.

The Hankook's are definitely quieter than the Michelin's.

You should head on over to discount tire and see for yourself. It'll show 600 treadwear for the iON EVO SUV tires in the size shown in your screenshot.

Just trying to keep the facts straight as to not confuse folks who may be looking into the iON EVO SUV tires.
Yes, you’re right. I went and checked www.hankooktire.com and the specs for that tire state a tread-ware rating of 600. Obviously a typo on the Discount Tires website, which is where I do all my shopping and comparisons. My apologies.

Yes, you’re right. I went and checked www.hankooktire.com and the specs for that tire state a tread-ware rating of 600. Obviously a typo on the Discount Tires website, which is where I do all my shopping and comparisons. My apologies.

No worries. When I was first researching the new Hankook's for my M3P I saw that it was 540 for the 235/40R19s and was comparing them to my current Michelin PS4 All Seasons (540 as well) that I have on it now. After getting the Hankook's installed on the MYP as I was cleaning up the grease (from the install) off the tires is when I had noticed that it was 600 treadwear, which was a nice surprise.

I'm really hoping that the tires last longer than on the SUV series and remain optimistic that they will, which will be nice.

I'm very interested in your long term review of the FK460s! They very well rated, but I do wonder about their efficiency and noise. In terms of grip and driving feel they seem to be some of the best for high performance all seasons.

Initial report:
Tires are on and actually looking great.
I was concerned about the fit of that tire as compared to Pirellis, particularly the curb rash protection.
I see no difference between the two. The Pirellis didn't do anything to protect the rims despite the extra rubber - Falkens have similar feature and appear as useless ( :D )
I only drove it for about 15 miles, and quite frankly did not feel the difference in noise levels,
Wife drove it about 100 miles over the weekend and claims they are much nosier.

Will take it to work a few times this week and try to get more data on noise and efficiency

Initial report:
Tires are on and actually looking great.
I was concerned about the fit of that tire as compared to Pirellis, particularly the curb rash protection.
I see no difference between the two. The Pirellis didn't do anything to protect the rims despite the extra rubber - Falkens have similar feature and appear as useless ( :D )
I only drove it for about 15 miles, and quite frankly did not feel the difference in noise levels,
Wife drove it about 100 miles over the weekend and claims they are much nosier.

Will take it to work a few times this week and try to get more data on noise and efficiency
Keep us updated! I'm guessing they're definitely not quieter than your Pirellis (OEM?) or you would've noticed it right away. What efficiency have you been getting with the Pirellis? We'll see in a few days if these FK 460s are any better!

Unfortunately, FALKEN FK460S appear to be substantially louder than original Pirellis.
I will do more driving this weekend to confirm, but depending on road surface, the "whining" is pretty pronounced.
Its not really annoying however, and if I was to compare i'd say it sounds like a noisy electric motor.
Quite frankly i don't mind it

I used Michelin for 20 years on all of my vehicles due to superior tread wear
Feel if try Hankook, I’ll be back to Michelin again
Treadware ratings
Hankook 320
MPSAS4 500
Big difference
Michelins are not noisy

Treadware ratings
Hankook 320
MPSAS4 500
Big difference
Michelins are not noisy

We're talking about the Hankook iON Evo AS---it has treadwear rating 600 (540 on Discount Tire, but official website is 600).** I think this Hankook is a new generation of technology and may have caught up to Michelin where previous ones did not.

** there isn't a universal objective 3rd party test on treadwear though that's reported, so the numbers are relative to tires within each manufacturer. There may be rough equivalence but not guaranteed.

Last edited:
Reactions: awokeinthelbc
I replaced 20" Michelin AS3+ on my early vin 2020 MY LR. The AS3+ were super noisy on most CO concrete freeways. Noisy to the point of being embarrassed to take people in my car on longer drives. The AS3+ were definitely more responsive, but the Hankook iON evo AS SUV is much quieter. Honestly I noticed it from the first moment I drove the car out of DT parking lot. I do find myself driving faster, because they are so quiet. It's like a different car in a good way. Not enough miles to judge efficiency yet, but I can't see how they will be worse than the AS3+.

Have the Pirelli Elects after two rounds of the MXM4. Efficiency is comparable so far after 6000+miles (maybe a little worse but hard to tell as my driving pattern is different now). Sound is comparable though I have some tire noise at highway speeds for some reason, but only on certain road surfaces, but it's still not so bad for the most part.

Reactions: Henrykaed
We're talking about the Hankook iON Evo AS---it has treadwear rating 600 (540 on Discount Tire, but official website is 600).** I think this Hankook is a new generation of technology and may have caught up to Michelin where previous ones did not.

** there isn't a universal objective 3rd party test on treadwear though that's reported, so the numbers are relative to tires within each manufacturer. There may be rough equivalence but not guaranteed.

Correct. As an owner of the Hankook iON EVO All Seasons I can confirm they are 600 threadwear. A few posts up I even posted a picture showing the 600.

Treadware ratings
Hankook 320
MPSAS4 500
Big difference
Michelins are not noisy

How many miles do you get out of your Michelin's? I too have used Michelin's for many many years. The real world treadwear of Michelin's (PS4s) aren't that great as most average only around 25K at best. We still have many miles to go with the Hankook's, but I'm pretty optimistic that they'll outlast my Michelin's/25K miles.

As for the noise of Michelin's, they are without a doubt louder than the Hankook's. You can do back to back tests riding in the same car with both tires and it's not hard to tell at all. Michelin's are loud comparatively, period. There are other tire brands that are much quieter without that harsh high pitch tone of Michelin's.

Reactions: awokeinthelbc