Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Review: Hankook iON evo AS vs Pirelli AS+ Elect vs Michelin PS 4S vs Michelin PS AS 4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tested all these tires back to back on either a Tesla Model 3 or Y. I have both a Model 3 and a Model Y (wife’s).

My goal was to have a great handling tire (makes me happy) that can handle the occasional snow, is quiet, and has good range.

For context, I have the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires on both the 3 and Y. This is by far the best handling tire, really amazing, our benchmark for handling, and is just a joy to drive. I’m in Colorado though and for nov/dec/apr, we can see temps below 40, which is a no-no for driving the PS4S, so I wanted something more cold tolerant during the shoulder seasons. We have winter wheels (Pirelli Sottozero 3, which we love) for ski season.

Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4:
I drove this on a Performance Model Y (Tesla test drive). Handling is very good, and I hear it’s also very good in the snow. Negatives is that it’s loud and it’s not great for range, the former being more important to me.

Pirelli All Season Plus Elect:
We bought these for our Model Y. Handling is good if not great. And it’s quiet and comfortable, and of course it’s tuned for EVs and has good range. We really really like these tires. I would give the edge to the PS AS 4 for handling, but it is slight and totally not enough to justify the range hit or how loud they are.

Hankook iON evo AS ih01:
I just bought these for my 3. It was a gamble because I couldn’t find any reviews on them. They are brand new to the market. Overall, I definitively do not like them. The handling is terrible for a car like the model 3 w/ AB. It feels super floaty and squirrelly when cornering. The noise level is not great either surprisingly. Strangely enough, it’s relatively louder at slower speeds, but does seem to be quiet on the highway. The Pirelli’s have way better handling and seem quieter all around. Aside from noise and handling, there is one thing the evos does really well. It feels like a bat out if hell when accelerating in a straight line. You can tell the engineering is optimized for that trait. I do like that a lot, and I’m sure it has great range, and I would accept the noise level too, but the handling is just too awful, I can’t accept it. That said, if you’re not a spirited driver, I think the evos are a great value. They’re just not for me.

Overall, I think the Pirelli AS PE hit all the cords I’m looking for. The Michelin PS AS 4’s are a close second and might also be better in snow, but we’re not optimizing for snow since we have winter tires. And the quiet ride and good range is also very much appreciated.

I hope this review helps others out there!

All these new EV tires are very exciting. I’m a huge Michelin fan, but they need to up their game on EV tires. For now, Pirelli is winning my business.

The_tire_wheel_of_TESLA_MODEL_3.jpg

"File:The tire wheel of TESLA MODEL 3.jpg" by Tokumeigakarinoaoshima is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

These are my first Mich EV tires
My prior ICE Michelins typically lasted 50k
This analysis:
So far at at 8.5 32nds at 7k miles
I don’t remember what it was brand new
Maybe 10 or 11
Let’s go with 10 when new
I’m at 8.5, 1.5 for 7k miles
Expect another 21k miles when at 4/32nds
Therefore MPSAS4 should last 28k miles
1.5/32nds of wear for 7k miles = 0.2143 per 1000 mile
0.2143x28000= 6/32 wear leaving 4/32

What is rhe guess the Hankook iON EVO ASs will give 40k, 50k?

This analysis:
Maybe 10 or 11

Interesting. Nice data. Once I rack on some miles I'll try to measure them at those intervals to compare. It'd be nice if we could also get more data from other iON owners as well.

This analysis:
Maybe 10 or 11

It's important to note that tire tread wear is not linear. When the tires are new they wear fastest. When the tread depth is low they wear more slowly. It was explained to me that this is because the tread is harder deeper down & softer when thicker. I experienced this years ago with our Michelin MXM4s. Based on past tire wear I expected them to need replacement much sooner than they actually did. On the MXM4s we went from 10/32 (new) to 5/32 in 27k miles. But to go from 5/32 to replacement at 4/32 we drove another 19k miles. We probably could have gone even further, but I had already ordered new tires because I expected them to wear more quickly.

The Hankook tires should improve range. We've noticed improved efficiency in our couple weeks with them.
That’s great to hear. Was getting PTSD after trialing Goodyear Electdrives, which cut range 20-30%. So far with X have not noticed it with the IONs. Today in bumper to bumper noticed a big gain in range handily beating out the trip plan estimate curve. Will go on couple of roadtrips next few weeks; hopefully that continues to stand.

I want to swap out the new MVM4s we just installed back to on our ‘18 3P- as a result of the Goodyears to IONs if at all possible. Dunno if America’s Tires will allow exchange 3 weeks after. Their web page has quite a bit of ambiguous enough double-speak on the topic. I want to try a firmer tire compound as MVM4’s consistently get abnormally high inside tread wear each time.

So do Conti’s on our X for that matter.

Had to swap out all 4 of them today because inside tread wear was bald even though rest of the back tires were still at 5/32. We rotate every 6.5K-10K not 6.5K miles on dot though. Will try 6.5K and stop using the low setting on the air suspension to see if the cambering improves with the IONs. Let’s see if that helps.

Last edited:
yeah, really wish they'd sell that tire here. Here in So Cal we don't need all seasons! All the EV focused tires are all seasons in North America right now other than the Michelin PS4 foam lined I think, and that one isn't particularly efficient.
Noticed on their website only ION AS have 50K mileage warranty, not the summer ones. Otherwise, was looking forward to trying them in SoCal too.

Correct. As an owner of the Hankook iON EVO All Seasons I can confirm they are 600 threadwear. A few posts up I even posted a picture showing the 600.

How many miles do you get out of your Michelin's? I too have used Michelin's for many many years. The real world treadwear of Michelin's (PS4s) aren't that great as most average only around 25K at best. We still have many miles to go with the Hankook's, but I'm pretty optimistic that they'll outlast my Michelin's/25K miles.

As for the noise of Michelin's, they are without a doubt louder than the Hankook's. You can do back to back tests riding in the same car with both tires and it's not hard to tell at all. Michelin's are loud comparatively, period. There are other tire brands that are much quieter without that harsh high pitch tone of Michelin's.
I noticed they’re quieter than MVM4’s and Conti’s for our X. Today noticed too two particular bumpy/pothole roads that usually slam my lower back was noticeably dampened with our X on normal suspension height. I run (try to train) FSD so let it do its thing bracing for the usual melodrama that never came today. Did notice OPs observation of a wobbly lean on tight turns.

It wasn’t terrible as it was more a flex than loss of grip but could see how that might really cut into our 3Ps handling if pressed aggressively. For the X, it wasn’t as earth shattering but definitely noticeable. Straight line is smooth as butter though. Tight cornering wasn’t bad either really for me and felt like something to get use to, especially if I get better all-around road comfort in return. My racing for fun days are over.

If anything, our ‘18 3P-‘s suspension is a tad too taut for some SoCal roads so the IONs dampened flexing cornering action might actually be welcome there too.

Last edited:
I want to swap out the new MVM4s we just installed back to on our ‘18 3P- as a result of the Goodyears to IONs if at all possible. Dunno if America’s Tires will allow exchange 3 weeks after. Their web page has quite a bit of ambiguous enough double-speak on the topic. I want to try a firmer tire compound as MVM4’s consistently get abnormally high inside tread wear each time.

So do Conti’s on our X for that matter.
Tesla has been known to ship cars with too much toe-out on the rear tires that will in turn eat up the inner shoulders like kids eating candy on Halloween.

Get your alignment checked - there's a number of threads on the forum that cover this topic. You may get a bit more efficiency as well.

Reactions: awokeinthelbc
Now that we have 2.5 months & almost 5k miles on these tires I can report that there is a definite efficiency improvement over the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus II that we had before. One of our trip meters is reset monthly & I have a spreadsheet where I've tracked our monthly mileage for the last few years. Our efficiency in July & August 2023 was about 5% better than in July & August 2022 with the Pirellis. In July 2022 we averaged 272 Wh/mi i 1750 miles and in August 2022 it was 271 Wh/mi in 1680 miles. In July 2023 we did 259 Wh/mi in 1840 miles & in August 2023 we averaged 255 Wh/mi in 1915 miles.

To tag along, any thoughts on the ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus?
I've had these on my S for the last 30,000 miles. Really strong performance. I believe a top pick in Consumer Reports. I live in Buffalo and they have great snow and rain performance. Good choice. Only negative indicated by Consumer Reports is higher rolling resistance. Perhaps I notice a touch less efficiency relative to prior Michelins, but hard to say for sure.

Now that we have 2.5 months & almost 5k miles on these tires I can report that there is a definite efficiency improvement over the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus II that we had before. One of our trip meters is reset monthly & I have a spreadsheet where I've tracked our monthly mileage for the last few years. Our efficiency in July & August 2023 was about 5% better than in July & August 2022 with the Pirellis. In July 2022 we averaged 272 Wh/mi i 1750 miles and in August 2022 it was 271 Wh/mi in 1680 miles. In July 2023 we did 259 Wh/mi in 1840 miles & in August 2023 we averaged 255 Wh/mi in 1915 miles.
What tires?

Switched to Hankook Ion Evo AS tires (have over 5,600 miles on them now). Before I had the Michelin CrossClimate 2 tires and was happy with everything on them, but can tell that the Hankook Ion Evo AS tires are much quieter and more efficient by about 8% so far. My CrossClimate 2 tires were at about 38,400 miles and had enough tread to last closer to 50,000. I changed them out because my treadwear was uneven and one of the tires had a big pucture that was too close to the edge of the tread and the patch leaked a little bit of air over time. I do recommend the CrossClimate 2s if you want the tires to last a long time and great traction in mud and rain (never tested in snow). I will see how the Hankook Ion Evo AS tread lasts.

I've only used Michelin tires before because I like getting credit from the treadwear warranty, but none of my other tires have made it past 28k miles (I retire them when they get below 4/32nds). With my CrossClimate 2 tires, since the treadwear was too uneven side to side to take advantage of the treadwear warranty I decided to try the Hankook Ion Evo AS tires. Side note, I did get Tesla to do an alignment on my car to make sure there was no issues with that causing uneven tire wear, but I think the extended lifetime of the CrossClimate 2 tires compared to my other tires increased the tread wear differences.

Just got the Hankook ION EVO on any M3P today. Pirelli's were toast at 22,000 which I hear is pretty good for those tires.

Discount tire will price match Amazon which had these for $234.97 vs $300 on Discount tire website. Also $80 Hankook mail in rebate on these. Originally I planned on Michelin Pilot AS4 but they were about $400 more and the tire rep said they are noisy. So far these are quiet and are handling well.

IMG_5464 Large.jpeg

Switched to Hankook Ion Evo AS tires (have over 5,600 miles on them now). Before I had the Michelin CrossClimate 2 tires and was happy with everything on them, but can tell that the Hankook Ion Evo AS tires are much quieter and more efficient by about 8% so far. My CrossClimate 2 tires were at about 38,400 miles and had enough tread to last closer to 50,000. I changed them out because my treadwear was uneven and one of the tires had a big pucture that was too close to the edge of the tread and the patch leaked a little bit of air over time. I do recommend the CrossClimate 2s if you want the tires to last a long time and great traction in mud and rain (never tested in snow). I will see how the Hankook Ion Evo AS tread lasts.

I've only used Michelin tires before because I like getting credit from the treadwear warranty, but none of my other tires have made it past 28k miles (I retire them when they get below 4/32nds). With my CrossClimate 2 tires, since the treadwear was too uneven side to side to take advantage of the treadwear warranty I decided to try the Hankook Ion Evo AS tires. Side note, I did get Tesla to do an alignment on my car to make sure there was no issues with that causing uneven tire wear, but I think the extended lifetime of the CrossClimate 2 tires compared to my other tires increased the tread wear differences.

That is a disadvantage of directional tires like CrossClimate and many similar winter-focused ones which seem to be directional: you can't rotate across left and right sides. Asymmetrical (but non-directional) and symmetrical you can. So if one side wears more due to less than ideal alignment you can

The Hankook, like Michelin MXM4, are symmetrical---classic tire design, works left and right and rotates either way---which will permit the most even wear if you rotate, as they can be dismounted and mounted the other way on the wheels.

Just got the Hankook ION EVO on any M3P today. Pirelli's were toast at 22,000 which I hear is pretty good for those tires.

Discount tire will price match Amazon which had these for $234.97 vs $300 on Discount tire website. Also $80 Hankook mail in rebate on these. Originally I planned on Michelin Pilot AS4 but they were about $400 more and the tire rep said they are noisy. So far these are quiet and are handling well.

View attachment 980441
Keep us posted
If your story is good over time, I’ll be following for my MYP