Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rivian Automotive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla bought the Toyota/GM factory in 2010, the year Toyota/GM quit using it. At that point, Tesla was still a "startup". No one was talking about Chinese government money or blessing. They did two years of extensive remodeling of the Fremont factory and started building Model S in 2012.

Rivian will not be competing in 2010 nor 2012 but in 2020.

I don't understand your throwing shade at Rivian.

Are you on the board of AFPM(American Fuel and Petrochemical Manufacturers)?

BTW Rivian will be debuting the SUV version of the vehicle later this week.

It doesn't matter if demand is 90/10 or 10/90 for the pickup/ SUV.

Like Honda, if demand is for the the Pilot/SUV instead of the pickup that is fine.

It doesn't need to conquer the F 250 long bed market.

Reactions: KJD
Don't think it has a very good chance of success but more people who want to try the better.

Automotive startups in the industrialized world are like brand new restaurants.

None have a good chance of success.

Like Musk has said on several occasions it is crazy to start a car company and even crazier to start an electric car company.

The last automotive startup to succeed in the US before Tesla was Chrysler.

And in Europe Fiat. *

*Excluding boutique manufacturers and tuners.

Tesla will not be producing a pickup truck within 5 years so Rivian will have a huge headstart in the luxury EV pickup segment.
I could see someone buying Rivian in a few years though.
I hope this American company is very successful as that will push GM, Ford & Ram to lift their game.

• Disagree
Reactions: Krugerrand
Tesla will not be producing a pickup truck within 5 years so Rivian will have a huge headstart in the luxury EV pickup segment.
I could see someone buying Rivian in a few years though.
I hope this American company is very successful as that will push GM, Ford & Ram to lift their game.

I can already see the argument coming. "These little startups will take all the risks and spend all the money developing the technology and the market, then after a few years the Big Three will swoop in with their massive resources and take over!"

It sounds logical on the surface, but somehow it never seems to really work out that way.

I hope they will survive. Elon has stated endless times that car business is crazy tough. Many can do chassis, EV motors and chairs. Batteries are the key. Curious what Bollinger price will be but this might not fly for 70K+ easily.

I'd get it over model X if the ride is comparable.

I hope Rivian succeeds, but as we all know what they are attempting is crazy hard.

I do not see how they can offer their base model at the price they have announced. Their battery cost is going to be much higher than Tesla’s currently is.

I predict when their vehicles finally are available to purchase in late 2020 (at the earliest) their base price will be significantly higher than what they current state. Just like what Tesla had to do with Roadster pricing in 2008...

Reactions: Olle
Just saw Electrek’s article on the SUV with photos. Not something I would be interested in at all and if I needed the room much prefer the look of the MX over the Rivian. But then I prefer a more upscale look than a camping vehicle. Actually my first thought was it looked very much like a Jeep Cherokee or Wagoneer from maybe the 70s.

The dash shown in the Electrek article harkened to Model S with the display behind the steering wheel; and the center screen they just rotated horizontally. Personally I think the Model S’s vertical screen looks better and gives the dash a more open look. Sure they wanted to give a somewhat similar subtle minimal look as Teslas without appearing to copy directly. Skateboard design like Tesla’s cars.

Apart from having a better battery range if you need to go to out of the way places like for camping or backroads which is clearly who their customer base is, I can’t say I’m impressed by the vehicle. I did think the silver pick up version in the video looked nice though. The signature front of both vehicles however, definitely not a fan of and more to the point strongly dislike. With boxy styling and flat front have to wonder how much of that battery range will get eaten by poor aerodynamics.

Couldn’t place it initially but realized that looking again at the Electrek article I find the side view image of the rear of the vehicle reminescent of a funeral hearse. Very square and boxy as well. While I think it’sgood that more EV choices are coming out and that not everyone will like or admire each design, it does make me wonder what Tesla’s Y and pickup will look like. I do think they were smart to start from the ground up like Tesla did and infact thought their intro could have been from Tesla. It is exciting to see totally new designs for EVs.

Rivian launches all-electric 7-seat SUV with over 410 miles of range

Last edited:
How are they going to hit 61.5k on a 200khw battery right out of the gate? Where are their economies of scale?
Buying from LG? Are they planning on a battery factory?

Kudos to them if they do, but I am skeptical.

Truck looks cool.

Rivian will not be competing in 2010 nor 2012 but in 2020.

I don't understand your throwing shade at Rivian.

Are you on the board of AFPM(American Fuel and Petrochemical Manufacturers)?

Rivian will be competing with ICE and not Tesla. Plenty of market share to go around for years.

Legacies worst nightmare would be to see another EV startup ripping them up. Would love to see it.

Rivian will be competing with ICE and not Tesla. Plenty of market share to go around for years.

Legacies worst nightmare would be to see another EV startup ripping them up. Would love to see it.

This is a trope among Tesla enthusiast.

Reality is every car maker competes against every other car maker.

It is silly to suggest that someone considering a Tesla will never consider a Rivian or vice versa. Or that there will be zero Rivian conquest of Tesla owners.

What is true is that Tesla will not suffer market share loss.

Because demand for compelling EVs far exceed supply.

Reactions: KJD
This is a trope among Tesla enthusiast.

Reality is every car maker competes against every other car maker.

It is silly to suggest that someone considering a Tesla will never consider a Rivian or vice versa. Or that there will be zero Rivian conquest of Tesla owners.

What is true is that Tesla will not suffer market share loss.

Because demand for compelling EVs far exceed supply.

I never suggested that. People in the know understand that demand for EVs is through the roof for foreseeable future.

But if you feel better about the whole thing to take a shot at me as a silly Tesla enthusiast..... I am OK with that.

What really is a trope amongst ICE apologists is that electric cars compete with each other, hence the unlimited supply of Tesla killers in press releases. As we both know, all new compelling EVs are ICE killers.

And no, am not calling you an ICE apologist.