Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rivian vs Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have an order on a LR model Y but have now been looking into the Rivian R1S (given space/ability to fit 3 car seats/booster) etc.

One big question I have is why the difference in quoting home charging spec? Both home chargers do 11.5 kW / 48 amp. However Rivian is quoting 25miles/hr charging while the Model Y is quoting 44 miles/hr charging.

Can someone explain technically why the large difference? Is one company estimating the charging speed inaccurately?

One issue is that most manufacturers have a hard time beating Tesla’s battery/power train efficiency. For example, for the Model Y to get approximately 325 miles or EPA rated range, it has a 75 kWh battery. For the Ford Mustang Mach E to get around the same range in a similar configuration (e.g. AWD, wheel size, etc.), it has a 98 kWh battery. So the Mach E owner has to put in more energy to get the same mileage as the Model Y owner.

Have an order on a LR model Y but have now been looking into the Rivian R1S (given space/ability to fit 3 car seats/booster) etc.

One big question I have is why the difference in quoting home charging spec? Both home chargers do 11.5 kW / 48 amp. However Rivian is quoting 25miles/hr charging while the Model Y is quoting 44 miles/hr charging.

Can someone explain technically why the large difference? Is one company estimating the charging speed inaccurately?

R1S is less efficient. Never use miles/hr as that's a BS number that changes with the vehicle's efficiency

As for R1S... good luck getting one within a year. I've waited 16+ months and it won't arrive for another 6-9 months.

Because the batteries are vastly different sizes (the Rivian is a MUCH less efficient vehicle from a battery use perspective).

What you are asking, in effect is: "I am pouring the same amount of water into a quart size container and a gallon size container. How come one is 1/2 full and the other is 1/3 full with the same amount of water?"

I think Rivian makes cool vehicles, and I'm rooting for them to prosper, but I'd sure loose a lot more sleep over whether or not my $90k+ car's company will be around 5 years from now rather that sweat which one charges faster.

That being said, as long as you can provide a 50A or higher circuit at home for charging at night, I wouldn't worry about your vehicle being ready to go the next morning. CCS charging in the wild is a crap shoot regardless of what non-Tesla vehicle you have.

In a perfect world and with money being no issue, I'd pick the Rivian R1S. No contest.

Unfortunately, non-Tesla long distance trip charging is almost non-existent. Where it does exist, it is rarely reliable. This would keep me from purchasing any non-Tesla EV today (I travel a lot).

However, if Tesla opens up their Supercharger network to everyone, then that would make the Rivian R1S more feasible for me .

Battery and BMS technology and software with Tesla

Because the batteries are vastly different sizes (the Rivian is a MUCH less efficient vehicle from a battery use perspective).

What you are asking, in effect is: "I am pouring the same amount of water into a quart size container and a gallon size container. How come one is 1/2 full and the other is 1/3 full with the same amount of water?"
Yup. This reminds me of the U.S. auto industry in the 70's and 80's. Gas was expensive and the Japanese cars were kicking their butts in terms of efficiency so they started putting a bigger gas tank in and touting 'cruising range.'
Never use miles/hr as that's a BS number that changes with the vehicle's efficiency
'miles/hr' charging speed is a useful metric if you're taking a road trip and want to estimate how much time you'll spend charging but as @jjrandorin states, it's dependent on efficiency and battery technology. Range is a combination of battery size and efficiency.

Are you sure about that? I’ve never seen more than 30 for the MY
Uhhhhh…what does that have to do with Tesla’s advertised charging speed on 240V?
How many amps are you charging at? We don't have a Model Y currently but according to the Wh/mile numbers that can be calculated from FuelEconomy.gov, it looks like the 2022 Model Y and 2022 Model S should be able to charge at about 41 miles/hour at 48 amps. The 2022 Model 3 should charge around 44 miles/hour. You can calculate these values by taking the volts * amps / Wh/mile. So 240 volts * 48 amps / 280 Wh/mile = 41.1 miles/hour.

When we charge our 2022 Model S, we do see ~40 miles/hour at 48 amps. (The volts fluctuate a little.) Since the S has the same Wh/mile as the 2022 Model Y, they should both charge at the same rate.