Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rivian vs Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
'miles/hr' charging speed is a useful metric if you're taking a road trip and want to estimate how much time you'll spend charging but as @jjrandorin states, it's dependent on efficiency and battery technology. Range is a combination of battery size and efficiency.

Find me a car traction battery that cannot take 12 kW. There are EVs with OBC's that max out at less than 48 Amps, but that is not the battery. Even my olde 22 kWh LEAF pack with no thermal control could take around 44 kW, meaning about 2C

In this OP, both the cars being discussed have 48 Amp OBC. The difference in miles/hour is completely explained by the Wh/mile differences between the vehicles.
And where did I say or even imply that my answer was limited to level 1, 2 or 3 charging? It was actually quite clearly given in the context of a road trip in which one would be using level 3 charging. I can show you plenty of EVs with batteries that limit charging rate. Like....Teslas for example.

Your residential voltage is likely closer to 240V; and
Your 'lifetime average' if read from the car does not include charging losses of about 11%

So a better calc is (240*48*0.89)/268 = 38.25 miles/hour in your use case
Yes - I've never specifically calculated or even looked at the losses of charging so you're probably right. I was just making a quick 'back of the envelope' calculation.

I'm charging it right now on a 30A outlet and it doesn't actually give a 'miles/hour' rate of charge. Just 6kW, 24A and 6 hr 30 min remaining to get from 29% to 80%. I suppose one could say 7.65 minutes/% * 1/300 miles = 0.0255 minutes/mile = 39.2 miles/minute. Seems a bit fast for a 30A charger but in the end I'm just going to leave it plugged in overnight and it will be charged in the morning so it really doesn't matter. Like I said, the only time "miles per minute" charging matters is when you're sitting and waiting.

And where did I say or even imply that my answer was limited to level 1, 2 or 3 charging?

OP questioned why miles/hour was different between the Rivian and the Model Y, despite having the same 48 Amp OBC. This is not a question of L1, L2 or L3, but a stipulation that the charging Amps is the same for each car.

The answer to OP is not 'battery tech', it is the different miles/kWh of each car. As to why the miles/kWh are so different, that is an involved question. My top 4 would be the differences in car size, Cd, tires, and vehicle weight --- in decreasing order of importance for combined city/highway driving.

• Love
Reactions: Big Earl
I don't think the difference will be that much. R1S starts at 78k for the base model. Probably about mid 80s well equipped.
The problem is you can't really get the cheaper model since they make/deliver the higher/highest trims first just like R1T trucks.
For example F150 Lightening has the base model for $45k or something, but they don't make them now. The average sales/delivery price for the F150 is well over $100k.

The problem is you can't really get the cheaper model since they make/deliver the higher/highest trims first just like R1T trucks.
For example F150 Lightening has the base model for $45k or something, but they don't make them now. The average sales/delivery price for the F150 is well over $100k.
Yeah, Tesla is much further along in its manufacturing, although last year when wait times were obscene people noted that you could get a MYP much quicker than a MYLR. It wasn't clear to me if that was because they were building more of them or simply because there was more demand for the LR.

Regardless, while the Rivian looks promising I'd be a bit leery of shelling out close to $100k for one of their cars until they have a few more years under their belt. At least with the other automakers you're reasonably assured that the company will be around.

Regardless, while the Rivian looks promising I'd be a bit leery of shelling out close to $100k for one of their cars until they have a few more years under their belt. At least with the other automakers you're reasonably assured that the company will be around.
If you make an order now, you won't see if for quite a while anyway, maybe enough to have that confidence. Or for the CCS network to get more reliable, or for the SC's to open up.

My Feb order is listed for 2024 delivery. (R1S, quad, 135 battery, green interior). I do want to see if the interior choice has any impact on scheduling, as I'm not sold on it, and would like to see some examples in person to finalize.

How many amps are you charging at? We don't have a Model Y currently but according to the Wh/mile numbers that can be calculated from FuelEconomy.gov, it looks like the 2022 Model Y and 2022 Model S should be able to charge at about 41 miles/hour at 48 amps. The 2022 Model 3 should charge around 44 miles/hour. You can calculate these values by taking the volts * amps / Wh/mile. So 240 volts * 48 amps / 280 Wh/mile = 41.1 miles/hour.

When we charge our 2022 Model S, we do see ~40 miles/hour at 48 amps. (The volts fluctuate a little.) Since the S has the same Wh/mile as the 2022 Model Y, they should both charge at the same rate.
Here's a comparison of charging speed across the S3XY line-up with a Wall Connector.

Screenshot_20221128_172353.jpg

'miles/hr' charging speed is a useful metric if you're taking a road trip and want to estimate how much time you'll spend charging
That's still a useless metric. Miles/hour is not useful for estimating charging because those are EPA miles, which does not take elevation, temperature, wind, or any other factors into consideration. For estimating charging, you should use the trip computer's estimated arrival percentage, and charge until you have a sufficient buffer. It will also tell you how many minutes to continue trip, which usually means a 10% buffer.

Someone at my job just got one a week or two ago (a R1T). Note that they already have a model 3P and also Solar. I havent driven it, or ridden in it, but looked at it in the parking lot while they and I talked about it. It looked well put together. They really liked it as well.

They ordered it a long time ago, and had offers from people to buy it to close to double what they were gonna pay for it, but they decided to keep it. I was pretty impressed with it from a visual stand point up close. It looks better in person to me than it did in pictures.

Someone at my job just got one a week or two ago (a R1T). Note that they already have a model 3P and also Solar. I havent driven it, or ridden in it, but looked at it in the parking lot while they and I talked about it. It looked well put together. They really liked it as well.

They ordered it a long time ago, and had offers from people to buy it to close to double what they were gonna pay for it, but they decided to keep it. I was pretty impressed with it from a visual stand point up close. It looks better in person to me than it did in pictures.
Agreed, the R1T and R1S looked better in person. I went to their showroom in Venice, Ca and had a good look at their EVs.

Munro's first impression of the R1S is that it's offering a lot of good at it's current price point ($90K in his test).

Like the OP, I too am interested at the R1S' cargo/passenger capacity compared to the 7 seater Model Y. Similar to Sandy Munro's impression - the 3rd row legroom and sitting is much better in the R1S. At 5'8" I can see me riding in R1S 3rd row comfortably but not in MYLR7s 3rd row seat (having owned one).
It's important to me that its the only picture I took when I was in Rivian's showroom 😆.

The seating positions are based on (my) preferred legroom (driver/2nd/3rd row).

Attachments

• 20221112_125221.jpg
    20221112_125221.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 20221112_125215.jpg
    20221112_125215.jpg
    400.5 KB · Views: 45
Agreed, the R1T and R1S looked better in person. I went to their showroom in Venice, Ca and had a good look at their EVs.

Munro's first impression of the R1S is that it's offering a lot of good at it's current price point ($90K in his test)

Like the OP, I too am interested at the R1S' cargo/passenger capacity compared to the 7 seater Model Y. Similar to Sandy Munro's impression - the 3rd row legroom and sitting is much better in the R1S. At 5'8" I can see me riding in R1S 3rd row comfortably but not in MYLR7s 3rd row seat (having owned one).
It's important to me that its the only picture I took when I was in Rivian's showroom 😆.

The seating positions are based on (my) preferred legroom (driver/2nd/3rd row).
R1S is much bigger vehicle and in different size class as well as the different price point/target customers, so comparing the interior volume/size of R1S and MY doesn't provide any useful information.