Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 2.5 The new Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same shape!

tesla-model-s-0309-12.jpg

hdr_about_contact.jpg

So I'm curious how they managed to fit the double DIN head unit.

interior2.jpg

We first saw it could be done in the ill fated and kludgy Dodge Circuit EV.

3208101844_04cca7c6d2.jpg

Of course in comparison, what Tesla has done looks very clean and well integrated. CNET says the head unit is an Alpine IVA-NAV-10, which they think is an OEM rebranded INA-W900.

Here's a demo video of that unit:
[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zyaz3jpbU_Y[/MEDIA]

From the specs, the dimensions are 7'' x 3-15/16'' x 6-3/8''. But if you look under the dash, you see it would interfere with an aluminum structure that I didn't think they could change without redoing crash testing.

3405404642_fdb1c406be_b.jpg

So I'm just curious what modifications were made. This seems to be something owners have wanted from the get go. :smile:

With the Google backing of Tesla, I am surprised the phone connectors are still iPhone based, not something special for Droid phones.
Give it time...
Honestly, though, that has more to do with the HU manufacturers (e.g., Alpine) than Tesla. They support the iPhone because the iPhone/iPod is popular. Also it's an advantage Apple has by controlling the hardware as well as software. Google's Android is an OS that runs on a variety of hardware platforms from different manufacturers (e.g., Droid is by Motorolla, Evo is by HTC, etc.). Hopefully they'll all just move something standard like USB. And Apple will... still likely have their own proprietary connector.

Give it time...
Honestly, though, that has more to do with the HU manufacturers (e.g., Alpine) than Tesla. They support the iPhone because the iPhone/iPod is popular. Also it's an advantage Apple has by controlling the hardware as well as software. Google's Android is an OS that runs on a variety of hardware platforms from different manufacturers (e.g., Droid is by Motorolla, Evo is by HTC, etc.). Hopefully they'll all just move something standard like USB. And Apple will... still likely have their own proprietary connector.
Apple supports USB. Just use the normal sync cable that you'd use with a computer.

Some OEM radios (Honda and Hyundai come to mind) already offer USB ports on some of their models.

-Ryan

We need to know which of these new options will work with Roadster 1.5 and 2.0. I have put in an email to Ted and our Seattle service manager.

Although if Ted or someone from Tesla would post it here, that might avoid a bunch of emails.

I like the addition of the 7" Alpine unit.

The exterior is nice, but will need some time for it to grow on me.

Curious though: how exactly did they manage to add a glove box without doing any crash testing? I remember someone saying just after the early rounds of crash testing that adding a glove box that late in the game would require more tests and $$$.

TelsaRoadster25_15_540x359.jpg

Curious though: how exactly did they manage to add a glove box without doing any crash testing? I remember someone saying just after the early rounds of crash testing that adding a glove box that late in the game would require more tests and $$$.
That was my understanding too. Something about since the glove box door was a moving part, additional crash testing would be required. Perhaps they got an exception or were mistaken before?? :confused: Of course they've already had the glove box since the Roadster 2.0 (2010MY).

We also saw Double DIN before in DrTaras A&E modified Sport...
Yes. As an after market modification done by the customer (via a 3rd party) no crash testing would be required.
In fact, I think they used a similar Alpine unit to what Tesla now offers.
Perhaps that A&E/Alpine/DrTaras mod was in effect a prototype for what has come to be in Roadster 2.5...
Wish they had gone with the door speakers too. :wink:

Last edited:
Roadster 2.5

What do you guys think? I really like the new look. Sounds like most of the changes are exterior and some interior refinements but nothing with the powertrain is changed. Maybe they're waiting until 3.0 to upgrade the battery chemistry for longer range or lighter weight.

from the press release:

New features in Roadster 2.5 include:

* A new look, which includes a new front fascia with diffusing vents, and rear diffuser reflecting the future of Tesla design
* Directional forged wheels available in both silver and black
* New seats with improved comfort, larger more supportive bolsters and a new lumbar support system
* Power control hardware that enables spirited driving in exceptionally hot climates
* An optional 7" touchscreen display with back-up camera
* Improved interior sound reduction including new front fender liner material make the cabin even quieter

With the Google backing of Tesla, I am surprised the phone connectors are still iPhone based, not something special for Droid phones.

My Nexus One hooked up both phone and audio via Bluetooth in one shot and doesn't have the same glitchiness my iPod had when I tried it. And I got some quick change ProClip adapters installed on the Casner bracket so I can switch between the iPod holder and N1 car dock (which I hacked for the adapter as well) any time.

I don't understand what this image has to do with the 2.5 Roadster (VFX's post above # 31) ... or I can't figure out where on the car it's located. Isn't this a Model S shot ?
Yes, that is the front quarter panel of the Model S concept car.
My guess is that VFX's point is the logo on the Model S matches the Roadster 2.5. In other words the "floating T" symbol without the badge behind it.

nav_logo.gif
vs
TESLA-Logo-Badge.gif

Last edited:
Yes it's from the side of the Model S. I could not find a wider shot online so My comparion was weak.

In an effort to show how the two major changes have their roots in the Model S, I showed a pair of photos featuring the front intake which shows the new Roadster is clearly closer to the S' look.

With these shots I am looking at the similarity in style lines in the shape the surrounds the side Model S logo T and the shape (flipped) of the new side vent on the Roadster. The bifurcating style line is also similar to the line that lights up over the logo T. This is only slightly similar but worth noting. (I think)

TelsaRoadster25_05_540x359.jpg

And Yes, I messed up by putting this thread in the performance section. Feel free to move it.

Attachments

• CIMG5220.JPG
    CIMG5220.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 66