Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read that a major aspect of this 3.0 upgrade is a completely new PEM that works with the new battery. Or maybe I'm completely wrong and that's not the case?
I was just wondering if it happened to be either quieter or louder for any reason.

So far since my new battery install I've driven my car about 20 miles. Drives the same. I didn't expect it to drive any different.

I don't consider that I have a "new PEM". I have a new battery. Or maybe I am misunderstanding your question?

Last edited:

@ecarfan, looking at this image, I'm struck by the 9:15 elapsed time displayed. Is that the time that it took to charge the 3.0 battery from the Standard Mode SOC (~66%) up to the Range Mode SOC (~95%)? If so, that is surprisingly long to me, assuming that the 56A max amps setting is valid. Since it was only 32KWh, it obviously can't be the time to charge a very low SOC battery up to full. Can you give any more details on this charging session? Thanks!

Reactions: dpeilow
@ecarfan, looking at this image, I'm struck by the 9:15 elapsed time displayed. Is that the time that it took to charge the 3.0 battery from the Standard Mode SOC (~66%) up to the Range Mode SOC (~95%)?!
Yes I noticed that also. As I recall, it took less than two hours to charge from Standard Mode (which the car was charged to at 2AM, and since I had not been home for 2 weeks the car has been sitting at that charge level the whole time I was away) to the Range Mode figure of 343.

I don't know where the 9:15 figure came from. The only thing I can come up with is that for some reason it calculated the total charge time as running from 2AM to 11:15AM.

Yes I noticed that also. As I recall, it took less than two hours to charge from Standard Mode (which the car was charged to at 2AM, and since I had not been home for 2 weeks the car has been sitting at that charge level the whole time I was away) to the Range Mode figure of 343.

I don't know where the 9:15 figure came from. The only thing I can come up with is that for some reason it calculated the total charge time as running from 2AM to 11:15AM.

If you didn't disconnect the Roadster from the charger between when you returned from your hiatus and when you did the Range Mode charge, then I think that the 9:15 time may be the total charge time that had occurred since you left for your 2 week vacation, including all of the automatic 2am daily charges, and then the Range Mode charge that you did when you returned.

It's not a new PEM, but rather, a printed circuit board (PCB) inside the existing PEM is replaced with a new one.

Hello DaveD

Do you know what is the warranty one the new battery and on the upgraded PEM ? 2 years ? more ?

I'm trying to figure out what would be the most cost effective to do in case of a PEM failure : pay something like 10000 for a new PEM (dunno if the price is realistic) or go for the whole package and also have the battery changed in the same time.

Kind regards

I'm trying to figure out what would be the most cost effective to do in case of a PEM failure : pay something like 10000 for a new PEM (dunno if the price is realistic) or go for the whole package and also have the battery changed in the same time.

When I recently had PEM issues, I was told that "There are no 'new' PEMs, only reconditioned ones", and that a reconditioned PEM was $7,500.00.

Of course, you can take that with a grain of salt since, every time a question like this comes up, everyone seems to get a different answer, depending on who picks up the phone at their local Service Center.

It was also my understanding that they don't "replace" the PEM during the 3.0 upgrade, but they upgrade the PEM. So, if your PEM dies, the 3.0 upgrade might not include what is needed to get your car back on the road.

Hello DaveD

Do you know what is the warranty one the new battery and on the upgraded PEM ? 2 years ? more ?

I remember reading somewhere that there is a warranty on the 3.0 battery upgrade, but I'm currently not able to find the source of that information. Can someone please point me to 3.0 battery upgrade warranty information? The Teslamotors.com page about the battery upgrade doesn't mention it (Tesla — Roadster 3.0 Battery Upgrade), and the very few emails (two, to be exact) I've received from Tesla Motors about the battery upgrade also make no mention of a warranty.

From my memory, I recall that the warranty was for a period of three (3) years, but don't take that as fact, yet.

If you didn't disconnect the Roadster from the charger between when you returned from your hiatus and when you did the Range Mode charge, then I think that the 9:15 time may be the total charge time that had occurred since you left for your 2 week vacation, including all of the automatic 2am daily charges, and then the Range Mode charge that you did when you returned.
Good point. You are correct in that I picked up my Roadster from the Palo Alto Service Center the morning of the day that I left on a two week trip. During that time the car sat in my garage, plugged in. I returned from my trip last Saturday evening and went to bed directly, didn't unplug the car. The next morning I set the car to Range Charge, charged it up to the 343 miles in Range Mode (as shown in my photo above) and about an hour after it finished charging went for a 20 mile drive. So the 9:15 time could be the total amount of time the car spent charging from the night I left for my trip to the time I unplugged it on Sunday and drove it.
By the way if you've done a range mode charge and only driven 20 miles the whole time, you're inadvertently doing an experiment in the longevity of the new cells for us...
Of course I won't be doing that sort of "Range Mode charge and then drive just a short distance" pattern of behavior again. In the future, if I Range Charge it will be just before a long trip.
I don't have my 3.0 battery paperwork handy, but the warranty should cover the new battery and the specific changes made to the PEM. It will certainly not cover the entire PEM since the only change we know about is a single modified circuit board, as @DaveD pointed out above. I will look for my warranty and report back.
When I recently had PEM issues, I was told that "There are no 'new' PEMs, only reconditioned ones", and that a reconditioned PEM was $7,500.00.
Of course, you can take that with a grain of salt since, every time a question like this comes up, everyone seems to get a different answer, depending on who picks up the phone at their local Service Center.
It seems plausible that there are no "new" PEMs available. All replacement PEMs are old units that have been repaired and/or "reconditioned".

I am not surprised that Roadster owners get different answers to the same questions depending on who at Tesla they talk to. That is part of the experience of owning a long discontinued, limited production vehicle made by a (relatively) small manufacturing company. Many of the people at Tesla that Roadster owners talk to have very limited experience answering Roadster-related questions. Even the Service Centers that regularly deal with Roadster, like the Palo Alto California location that I dealt with, are sometimes unable to answer basic questions. When I picked up my car in Palo Alto earlier this month I asked the guy who was processing my payment what was the total kW capacity of the 3.0 battery. He said he didn't know, even after acknowledging that they had already installed "6 or 7" new 3.0 batteries. I found his lack of basic knowledge surprising. Surely he must have been asked that question before?

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak

Thanks yall for the answers.

I was kinda hoping the upgrade would include a warranty on the whole PEM, regardless if it's the new or a old part that would break. It's a bit frightening to know that one day the car could become useless just because there would be no spare piece. I wish Tesla would release technical sheets so people could replace those parts using (surely expensive) third party car wizards.

It's not a new PEM, but rather, a printed circuit board (PCB) inside the existing PEM is replaced with a new one.
Yes, and my invoice shows shows that part as:

PCBA, Tested Configured, DMC 3.0 (1078743-00-A)

I believe that is the part Dave is referring to, correct?

Here are two sections from my 3.0 battery invoice:

3.0 battery invoice Description of Work.jpg

3.0 battery invoice parts list.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
I'm a little puzzled... How can you have a warranty on a part of the PEM (the upgraded board), when the "repair" strategy is a complete PEM swap?
The 3.0 battery upgrade does not involve a "complete PEM swap" as far as I know, and based on my invoice. A board in the PEM is replaced, based on the invoice I posted above.

If you are not referring to my 3.0 battery upgrade process, my apologies. I assumed you post was referring to that.