Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my 2010 Roadster just last week, and was a little worried about the battery since it had been for sale on cargurus for over 265 days. The dealer indicated that they had charged the car every week. I thought that maybe it was a dealer trying to make me comfortable about buying the car. The pictures posted showed the battery range at 177 miles for a standard charge rate (this was a picture that was taken mind you 265 days ago). Well it has been a week since I received the car have put about 100 mile on it, plug it in when I am not using it and the range is right at 177 on a standard charge. I guess I feel lucky it is performing this well. Gruber in Phx told me if it is in this range I shouldn't worry at this time.
Definitely, 177 is a great number for a car of this age. Mine's down to 163, but it's a 2008.

The psychology of being a Roadster owner is something you'll grapple with. Unlike cars with engines, Roadsters degrade the more you drive them, and you'll find yourself weighing whether or not a particular trip is work the degradation that will take place, fractional as it is. Knowing that after a hundred trips of a hundred miles each, you'll probably lose 5-7 miles of range tempers some of the fun you had on those trips. I admire the folks who don't let it bother them because it bothers me.

Reactions: AtAge19
Well it has been a week since I received the car have put about 100 mile on it, plug it in when I am not using it and the range is right at 177 on a standard charge. I guess I feel lucky it is performing this well. Gruber in Phx told me if it is in this range I shouldn't worry at this time.

177? That's fantastic at this age. Nice choice of cars. Enjoy!

Is that on a 120v or 240v charge?

To get that type of range with that type of mileage it may have had a battery replacement.

Congrats!
Although that may be the case, I have a replacement battery with only 2450 miles when I took ownership mid-last year. Now at ~186 ideal, but i found the worst loss was when it was left off the charger for ~6 weeks at a repair facility (they charged it once during that time)...lost 2 miles ideal.

I've put ~2500 miles on it in the last 6 months with no perceptible loss other than the time not plugged in...

Definitely, 177 is a great number for a car of this age. Mine's down to 163, but it's a 2008.

The psychology of being a Roadster owner is something you'll grapple with. Unlike cars with engines, Roadsters degrade the more you drive them, and you'll find yourself weighing whether or not a particular trip is work the degradation that will take place, fractional as it is. Knowing that after a hundred trips of a hundred miles each, you'll probably lose 5-7 miles of range tempers some of the fun you had on those trips. I admire the folks who don't let it bother them because it bothers me.

It is pretty amazing because this Roadster was not a Garage Queen, it has 49,750 miles on the Odometer.......

Yikes! Another inconvenient reality. Due to such regards, I end up with numerous re-confirming thoughts before finally driving the Roadster around-the-block. No worries, all is worth the efforts!

- P.

I'm not sure you lose quite so much in range with use. I've had my car for 5 years now, and in that time I've lost all of 14 miles of range, while putting on some 26k miles (now a bit over 52k total). I retired about half way through that time, and as a result my annual mileage dropped from around 10k to under 4k, but I've not seen a huge change in the rate of decline. This is with the original ESS, which is kept plugged in 24 amps / 240 volts on standard charging.

The 3.0 CAC analysis thread also shows that time is perhaps a more significant determiner of CAC drop than mileage, at least initially. We don't have a long enough history with it to know how things will play out during the next decade.

I'm not sure you lose quite so much in range with use. I've had my car for 5 years now, and in that time I've lost all of 14 miles of range, while putting on some 26k miles (now a bit over 52k total). I retired about half way through that time, and as a result my annual mileage dropped from around 10k to under 4k, but I've not seen a huge change in the rate of decline. This is with the original ESS, which is kept plugged in 24 amps / 240 volts on standard charging.
Actually that works out to be exactly the range loss rate I pulled out of my ass. If you were losing 5 miles in range per 10,000 miles driven, I would have expected you to lose 13 miles of range in the 26,000 miles you drove.

Actually that works out to be exactly the range loss rate I pulled out of my ass. If you were losing 5 miles in range per 10,000 miles driven, I would have expected you to lose 13 miles of range in the 26,000 miles you drove.
But the point is that it's more related to age than driven mileage, so one shouldn't be afraid to take the car out whenever one feels like it. Taking care of the battery means keeping it properly warm, and staying between 20% and 80% charge. It does not include putting the car up on blocks, or treating it like driving it is doing permanent damage.

Our cars are incredible, as well as historic machines. They need to be driven and enjoyed, both for our own purposes, and so that others can see them.

Does anyone know what the reason for the delay in the 3.0 packs are? Does it have to do with core availability or other issues like supply and resource constraints?
I sent Tesla an email to the [email protected] asking those very questions on 12/13 still pending an answer. Basically I told them I'm on the market for a 2.5 model but wasn't going to buy the car unless the 3.0 feature returned.

Yikes! Another inconvenient reality. Due to such regards, I end up with numerous re-confirming thoughts before finally driving the Roadster around-the-block. No worries, all is worth the efforts!

- P.
What? I am not sure the Roadster degrades much with use. I have 55,000 miles and not sure I can point to a mileage related issue. Like many cars I think the Roadster wants to be on the road. Like me I get stiff if I sit too long.

• Love
Reactions: drewski
Fortunately the range loss seems to have dropped off. I lost 17 miles in the first year, 7 miles the second year, and it appears I am on track to lose about 4 in this third year. Hopefully this trend will continue.

Range_Graph.JPG

My two cents: no point in having a new 3.0 battery, no matter how good it is, if the service on the rest of our Roadsters is done by newbie techs who have no idea what they're doing. Assuming you can get an appointment, that is.
Tyco SC not supporting your Roadster Sethr? I ask cause I was thinking of pulling the trigger on this pristine R80 Roadster but after reading all the 3.0 degradation issues, thinking I'll pass. I'll wait for the 3.0 reboot but that maybe a no go too if Tyco SC can't support the roadster. Rather not ship it across to have Carl fix it. Know he can fix it but shipping car 3000 miles to get fixed is crazy.