Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster - new options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• lip1.jpg
    lip1.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 307
  • lip2.jpg
    lip2.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:
It was part of the cf exterior upgrade package at purchase - spoiler, roll bar, air intakes, front hood louvers, lip. I'm pretty sure there will be a lot more cf options offered in the coming months, I'd be surprised if that wasn't one of them.

What I really want are cf taillight housings.

My son suggested that with a 2-speed gear box, you may actually get better mileage. I think he may be on to something. On the other hand, with the electric motor having a flat torque curve, it may not affect mileage at all. Anyone have any suggestions?

Gasoline cars need multi-gearing because the torque is so peaky, and their efficiency varies a lot based on RPMs.
Along with the relatively flat torque curve of a good AC motor, EVs also have great efficiency across the rev range.
From what I heard, the reduced friction of having less gears (in a one ratio gear box) tends to mean better efficiency overall. I think of no-shifting in an EV as a logical approach. Tesla (at first) thought having 2 ratios would be useful, but then they had to try to absorb all the issues related to having a shifting mechanism in the first place.
EVs can also get away with no clutch as they can just stop the motor at 0MPH, and further don't need a mechanism for reverse since they can run the motor backwards, unlike the way gasoline cars work. So it just makes the overall package so much more simple. I really like the fact that we have all these EVs with no transmission (shifting or clutching) required!

...I believe there are no cars left with the locked out 2 speed. TEG?...

That is my understanding too. I have not seen any in a long time, and heard the intent was to get them all converted to 1.5 years ago.
I wonder if the SmartEV prototype (with Roadster drivetrain) is still in operation? I think it had an old Roadster 1.0 type drivetrain locked in one gear. But it probably didn't have the suspension layout capable of delivering all the power, so may have had to be artificially detuned anyways.

Yay! Thanks for pointing that out. We knew it was coming, just didn't know when. I'm surprised to see the $100 price. I was sure it would be much higher. I'l get this one next time I bring my car in. (Which will be a brake upgrade.)
I guess for $100 maybe but is this a problem? I'm definitely getting the brake upgrade after hearing these stories even though I've never had to test my brakes like that.