Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster - new options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or, clear CF.

The body panels are part of the structure and many of the panels cannot be replaced. I have heard stories about Tesla "totaling" vehicles due to damaged CF panels. I highly doubt that Tesla would be offering clear CF panels at this stage of the Roadster game . That is like saying Tesla will offer new orange painted bonded frames as an option.

Seems to me that it would be hard for Tesla to make CF bodies for the Roadster as the originals were made by Lotus. It's more technically possible to make dies that would make replacement aluminium bodies (transparent or not). I wouldn't hold my breath though, and for sure they wouldn't be made until the die making expertise is in-house (I understand that the dies were actually made someplace else to Tesla's design and that they are working on having their on diemakers)

The chassis/frame/"glider" is mostly aluminum.
Most of the exterior body panels are painted carbon fiber.
"Clear" carbon fiber means that the paint is clear so that you can see the carbon weave underneath.
Like the way they did the "rollbar" behind the driver's head, or the special "clear carbon" hard-tops.
So far, things like the trunk lid and doors are always painted in a color.

Last edited:
The CF panels were outsourced. I believe from France the second time around. It would be no matter for a CF or FB expert to molds off the current panels. There is a fully clear CF Lotus in Japan. pic somewhere in these pages.

cfelise1.jpg

cfelise2.jpg

I wasn't joking. I heard that it would be something along the lines of the pics TEG posted. Not sure if it would be all of the panels, hough. I personally like the accents that are currently offered, but I think that an all-CF body would be overkill for my tastes.

Martin E. had said he wanted an all CF Roadster from the beginning, but apparently they had trouble getting large parts to produce good weave pattern.
If you bend the CF around corners and odd shapes sometimes it can end up with ripples and uneven pattern that doesn't look good.
Unless they came up with an improved process, they might have to throw away a lot of "near miss" parts to get a low yield of acceptable parts.
Doable, but it makes the good ones very expensive.