Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rotating tires on an X? Annual service fail...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I had my tires rotated on my one-year-old MX 75D as part of my first-year service. When I brought it back in (metallic scraping sound on turning the wheels), the SC unrotated the tires, but failed to realign them. So I brought it back in again. Third time's a charm.

Anyone else had this experience?

The tires are different sizes and asymmetric. I didn't think you rotated tires on the X. When all else fails, read the owner's manual:

Tire Rotation, Balance, and Wheel Alignment
Model X tires cannot be rotated, as tires are asymmetrical and front tires are a different size from rear tires.

Unbalanced wheels (sometimes noticeable as vibration through the steering wheel) affect vehicle handling and tire life. Even with regular use, wheels can get out of balance. Therefore, they should be balanced as required.

If tire wear is uneven (on one side of the tire only) or becomes abnormally excessive, check the alignment of wheels.

The tires on a MX can be rotated, just not in the normal way we think about tire rotation. Here is a diagram from TireRack.com that shows how tires can be rotated on a car with different sized front and back tires. So as long as the tires you have on your MX are non-directional then the tires can be rotated.

upload_2018-1-18_11-32-10.png

Source

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
I had a rear tire in front. Perhaps they simply were unable to correctly replace the tires, but it sure sounds like they were rotating them. Yep, epic fail. And then they forgot to realign the wheels when they put them on correctly.

The tires on a MX can be rotated, just not in the normal way we think about tire rotation. Here is a diagram from TireRack.com that shows how tires can be rotated on a car with different sized front and back tires. So as long as the tires you have on your MX are non-directional then the tires can be rotated.

View attachment 274132
Source

I believe both sets of OE tires for the X are directional as well as differently sized. Therefor you cannot rotate.

So, I had my tires rotated on my one-year-old MX 75D as part of my first-year service. When I brought it back in (metallic scraping sound on turning the wheels), the SC unrotated the tires, but failed to realign them. So I brought it back in again. Third time's a charm.

Anyone else had this experience?

When I was taking delivery of my X at the Costa Mesa SC...they told me the only maintenance needed is rotating the tires (back in 2016). And then when I said the manual stated otherwise...they looked at me funny. lol

Can't directional tires be rotated side to side if they unmount the tires and swap them instead of just swapping the wheels? It's probably overkill in terms of effort, but it might help prolong the tire life if there is uneven wear.

Reactions: systemcrashed
I had my annual service a few week ago and they rotated side to side. I don't see any indication on the Conti-Silents that they can only rotate in a single direction. The SC did a full realignment after the rotation.
Can't directional tires be rotated side to side if they unmount the tires and swap them instead of just swapping the wheels? It's probably overkill in terms of effort, but it might help prolong the tire life if there is uneven wear.

You can, if they aren't also required to have a side be on the "outside". Which I think the contisilents require.

Reactions: goneskiian
You can, if they aren't also required to have a side be on the "outside". Which I think the contisilents require.
This. I just had my Nokian WRG3 SUV tires rotated by having them removed from the rims and swapped side to side. The Discount Tire guy said it wasn't necessary but I drive mostly in the "Low" setting and I know the inside rear shoulders had been showing some wear (likely from before getting an alignment at my annual service, unfortunately after a long summer road trip).

Had that happen. Took it back, they curbed it on the test drive after. Alignement was bad obviosuly at that point, and tire and wheel damaged. No one said anything to me.

They replaced the tire that was damaged, but not the opposite one, I had to pay for that. They refused to replace the damaged wheel, just a repair.

My X goes in next week for first annual and they tell me it takes 1 1/2 hours what could they possibly do for $625 in that time with no parts being replaced, had a ranger here a couple of weeks ago and he replaced the wiper blades and the fob batteries so they won't even have to do that, the Serv rep said there was alot more going on in the background to justify the $625. They sell you a very expensive P100D and then want $625 for almost nothing ??????????? How do they justify the cost to the owner ?

Their hourly rate is $125. I'm guessing they are assuming 5 hours of labor.

I remember Elon saying service centers were not profit centers and they were doing business at cost. Not sure how much of that is true but, there 'ya go.

They checked my tires when it was in for uncorking and noted one was worn enough it needed to be replaced.

Measured tire tread depth at:
(Outer) (Center) (Inner)
LF: 6 6 6
RF: 3 3 3
LR: 8 8 8
RR: 5 5 5

I've had it about 1.5 years. Admittedly I had not looked into rotating them. Is this wear pattern and needing to replace tires after ~15k miles normal? Maybe need an alignment?

They checked my tires when it was in for uncorking and noted one was worn enough it needed to be replaced.

Measured tire tread depth at:
(Outer) (Center) (Inner)
LF: 6 6 6
RF: 3 3 3
LR: 8 8 8
RR: 5 5 5

I've had it about 1.5 years. Admittedly I had not looked into rotating them. Is this wear pattern and needing to replace tires after ~15k miles normal? Maybe need an alignment?

Remaining Tread Depth