Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

rude customer service?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all. Hope everyone is having a great Christmas or holiday. Lately, I feel like Tesla customer service is losing its lack and becoming very very rude. I sent an email to the North America service desk to ask why am I not receiving the firmware update.

I sent the email on 12/22 but they didn't back to me until 12/27. And by the time they responded, I already received the update and they sent me this...

Screen Shot 2017-12-27 at 8.11.29 PM.png

I don't know if I am thinking too much but it feels like they are yelling at me and kinda made me feel stupid. Whats your opinion? I feel like they could've worded that differently.

Could read that 2 ways I think. First is yelling at you, but could also be excitement that they took care of it for you so quickly. Might give them benefit of the doubt here.

As an aside what is 2017.50.97? As far as I am aware most recent firmware is 2017.50.2. Do you actually have 2017.50.97 on your car?

Reactions: Xtek
Could read that 2 ways I think. First is yelling at you, but could also be excitement that they took care of it for you so quickly. Might give them benefit of the doubt here.

As an aside what is 2017.50.97? As far as I am aware most recent firmware is 2017.50.2. Do you actually have 2017.50.97 on your car?

I think they mistyped there. I don't have the 50.97. mine is at 50.2

I don’t see any rudeness in the email. It seems to be written very politely. Although it is written very simply which could be Seen treating you as if you don’t know much about the topic, but you have to remember that many people aren’t as technologically skilled as the people here on TMC. Tesla is most likely writing in a way that can be understood by everyone even if it might seem over simplified to some.

In fact I’m impressed that they replied in 5 days. Last time I sent an email to Tesla North America, I got a reply about a month later. By that time I forgot what I was even talking about.

• Funny
Reactions: smalltownguy
Maybe I'm just a dinosaur (I think I hear my wife in the background saying "Maybe? Maybe??") but in my Jurassic world the point of business communication is to get the desired message clearly to everyone, so if there's a chance it could be misconstrued you rewrite it to remove all doubt. That (IMO) unnecessary exclamation mark adds emphasis, but it is ambiguous what is being emphasized. Prefacing the statement with "You'll be delighted to hear that..." eliminates any ambiguity and still allows the (unnecessary) exclamation point.

All that said, when it comes to Tesla I think "clumsily casual" is a much better assumption than "hostile". I'm pretty sure you don't work there if you don't both chug the Kool-aide and believe that customers should and do as well.

Reactions: bmah and Mickie