TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Rumor: Model X will have full LED headlights

Discussion in 'Model X' started by ratsbew, Aug 14, 2015.

1. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

Rumors from Fremont say that Model X will have full LED forward facing illumination. I don't have any details beyond that.

2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

IF that turns out to be true, I would expect the S to switch to LED headlights as standard. We shall see...

3. lucy

lucy bluehair

That would be one reason for the various tape camo stylings of the mules...

4. Twiddler

Twiddler Member

Yes - and the spotting of these lights on a Model S mule several months ago...

New-Tesla-Model-S-next-generation-LED-headlights.jpg

5. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Active Member

Thank you rattsbew and Twiddler. Seems both plausible and welcome to me.

As someone who has driven LED headlights already for years, the old fashioned Xenons on the Model S are one thing that irks me a little.

6. AnxietyRanger

Here's a photo where the mule front lights can be seen somewhat:

Model X Mule Sightings - Page 213

Could by like those LEDs but could also not be? Also, mules may not have final lights of course.

7. emir-t

emir-t Member

Would this result with an increase in energy efficiency in any way? Xenon consumptions vs. LED? Or is this just so small to be significant?

What would the practical advantages of LED headlights also be over Xenons? I basically don't know much about cars besides my interest in EV drivetrains and batteries I guess haha.

8. AnxietyRanger

Efficiency is a benefit, sure. How much, I don't know. The power of LED lighting vs. Xenon depends, in some cars it is about the same, in others it can be better or worse.

One benefit of LED lights, as they are formed of many small lights, is the ability to generate intelligent patterns - Audi for example combines LED lights with navigation data to generate different light patterns for intersections etc. A downside in some LED implementations I've seen is lack of headlight swivel, which Xenons often use to point the lights intelligently depending on curvature and load.

As an emotional issue, I think LEDs just "fit" an EV like Model S better. Xenon reeks of ICE age to me.

9. Anzir

Anzir Member

For a luxury car that costs as much as it does, Teslas should come standard with LEDs. It's a no-brainer from an energy standpoint as well.

10. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

I wonder how LED headlamps compare to HID (High Energy Discharge) headlamps?
    I have the optional HIDs on my Volvo XC60 and they are fantastically BRILLIANT in the dark.
    They are motorized and thus move left to right as you move the steering wheel and self center (up and down) based upon load on the car's suspension. A 2011 implementation.

Does anyone know the actual Lumens output of the current Model S headlamps?

11. gizmoboy

gizmoboy Member

Couldn't you tell just from looking at the non-camoed part though? (If the rumor is full LED headlights and not just accents...)

12. YouShan

YouShan New Member

I suspect that the Model X will come with many new options and upgrade. I think the Model S get these upgrades too once Model X starts delivery.

I'm looking forward to more tire/rim options.

13. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

And the fact that there are gaps between the headlights and the hood. I believe the hood is final but the front bumper and headlights are not.

Why are these pictures from another thread shwoing up in everyones posts?

14. CarlK

CarlK Member

15. JPP

JPP Active Member

...and maybe they will replace the rear license plate lamps with LEDs too...

16. AnxietyRanger

If we had good quality photos of Model X mules from front, sure. Turns out there is precious little to go by.

What there is, I posted here: Model X mule - Looking closely at the nose 08/2015

17. vinnie97

vinnie97 Member

Hopefully, they'll have an OLED option for Model 3. ;) Those are as malleable as it gets.

18. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

I think the ideal solution would be a grid matrix of LEDs, maybe 10x10. If you put these behind a lens you could then steer the beam extremely accurately. LEDs could vary from 100% brightness to off and could steer the light pattern where you need it. I should patent this idea if it hasn't already been invented.

A normal high beam might only use the middle 8x8 portion of the array at full brightness. As you enter a curve the active 8x8 portion could move left or right to steer the beam.

19. AnxietyRanger

Audi's Matrix light already has 50 individually controllable LEDs. Audi can, for example, detect a pedestrian and highlight him/her by blinking the respective subset of LEDs on the front as well as use navigation data to direct the beam even before the steering wheel is turned. It can also direct light away from other cars while still continuing to light the rest of the road. It is very smart.

One really needs to watch the video (or drive the car) to appreciate it: Audi Matrix LED Headlights

It really does make Model S, as it is, feel quite antiquated in the lighting department. Of course Model S other redeeming qualities, but as people who want the best for - and the best from - Tesla, this is an area where they should improve as well.

20. AC123

AC123 Banned

While LEDs are more efficient than xenon, they
    1. Will not make any appreciable difference to range since headlights constitute very little energy usage
    2. Are not as bright as xenons.
    3. Personal speaking, I love the eyebrow lights of the current model s. I wonder what the LED redesign will do.