Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Run Flats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where are you? Are you in a capital city? My concern is that we’re in Noosa, 90min from Brisbane.
I was in Melbourne, but friends have used the service in a regional city and were equally happy. Noosa isn't exactly the bush, after all. I would expect excellent service, as Tesla contracts with third parties to provide this service and Tesla seems to drive them pretty hard to be responsive. Tesla is definitely "hands-on" throughout.

Crap! Thanks.
Your question regarding the USS, whether your car gets shipped with them or not, you still run the risk of a software update from Tesla deactivating them in the future with a software version that's not quite yet complete but they decide to ship it out anyway and get their customers to do the final development for them.

My Model 3 had the radar hardware, and then without warning it got disabled when I updated to a new software version in August 2022. The move to Tesla vision was a backward step which introduced more frequent phantom braking whilst using cruise control. It's improved since, however as a paying customer for a finished product I don't like being automatically signed up for a Beta testing program.

I'm sharing this with you so that you know what you sign up for when you become a Tesla owner. My way of dealing with it is that I choose to ignore new software releases for months in case they're introduce new bugs or loss of functionality, and am selective of those that I apply

Reactions: Power Hungry
Well we test drove the MY today and placed an order. I asked the sales guy the puncture question and he assured me that we get 4 years roadside and the service is brilliant. We’ll see.
Road side assistance within 50km’s of a service centre (maybe it’s 80km’s, can’t remember)….but keep that in mind if travelling outside of your city…

maybe but I’m almost 78 with very dodgy knees and my wife is 76 with a very bad back. Could be difficult.
When I received my spare wheel kit I did a trial run before we left on our trip. The jack worked ok with a puck and the nuts came off without great effort. I'm considerably older than 78. I would definitely check the torque at home after a tyre rotation done at a tyre shop (e.g. Bob Jane) as occasionally they rattle the nuts on excessively.

We’re way outside a service centre at Noosa Heads. I guess that means we’ll have to join RACQ as well. Maybe Tesla’s are impracticable for people outside cities.

Tesla's Australian site says:

Towing and Loaner Wheel Service

Transportation services are free of charge to your home or the nearest third-party repair facility within 80 kilometers of the vehicle’s location. Contact Roadside Assistance to learn more. In some regions, our trained roadside providers carry a limited number of loaner wheels to quickly exchange for a damaged wheel or tire. A new tire will be mounted on your original wheel, at your cost, and made available at your nearest third-party repair facility.

So as long as there's a tyre shop within 80km of where the vehicle is, it should be fine.

Reactions: RichardV
We’re way outside a service centre at Noosa Heads. I guess that means we’ll have to join RACQ as well. Maybe Tesla’s are impracticable for people outside cities.
When I purchased my first model S there was no tesla representation, mechanics, roadside assistance, or public charging in adelaide. I survived just fine. Part of that was keeping my own stocks of spare tyres as they were (back then) a unique size.

Thank you, so what they (and you) are saying is that, even though we're 125km from a Tesla service centre, a third party service teal will look after our vehicle?
"Third party service team" might be a bit grand, from what I've seen it's a local towie on contract.

But yeah that seems to be the idea. For a tire they wouldn't take the car back to Brisbane, they'd take it to a local Bob Jane or whatever.

Hopefully someone on the forum can confirm they've had the tire service more than 80km from a service centre.

Thank you, so what they (and you) are saying is that, even though we're 125km from a Tesla service centre, a third party service teal will look after our vehicle?
One possibility for longer range travel would be to carry a spare tyre with you. Even if you can't change it yourself due to health or mobility restrictions, someone else should be able to (including RACQ or Tesla service contractors). You won't be limited by the availability of spares from the service providers.

Happy Easter. 6 O'clock this morning. Fortunately still holding 25PSI by the time I got to tyrepower. 30 Minutes & $45 to fix and I am on my way again.
20230408_083313.jpg

Reactions: Hairyman