Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another good sitrep map. The Zherebets river is the one that flows from North to South just east of Lyman, towards Zarichne and Yampil, exiting into the Sivertsky Donets river. You'll likely recall Yampil from previous fighting when the Ukraine held on to it for a long time.
His map from Kupyansk down to Lyman is inline with the other (non-delusional) maps I've seen. It seems Ukraine has penetrated farther east along major roads, though, and not as far east between the roads.

Later in the thread he sees no risk of Bahkmut falling. I caught a CNN segment yesterday about an older couple still in Bahkmut, dodging artillery shells as they went to pick up food. Anyway, the reporter noted their route is more complicated now because Ukrainian soldiers blew up a main bridge in town the day before while retreating.

His map from Kupyansk down to Lyman is inline with the other (non-delusional) maps I've seen. It seems Ukraine has penetrated farther east along major roads, though, and not as far east between the roads.

Later in the thread he sees no risk of Bahkmut falling. I caught a CNN segment yesterday about an older couple still in Bahkmut, dodging artillery shells as they went to pick up food. Anyway, the reporter noted their route is more complicated now because Ukrainian soldiers blew up a main bridge in town the day before while retreating.
mud season is back so controlling even local roads becomes key, there are very few east west roads between the UKR forces and the russian border north of Izium/Lyman.

More trent on Drones to kill Drones and how the f35 program is inspired by satan

Possibly some good news on the drone defense front.

(not sure why sensitive content warning is appearing when I paste this link - it is only showing graphics of a map and a drone)

When this war is over, it is eventually going to come out how the US is supplying just near-realtime battlefield data to Ukraine C&C. The above is one example, but when HIMARS hit the battlefield, we've seen hundreds of examples. The amount of data sharing must simply be staggering.

Seems this could be used - has the largest conventional punch. Imagine would likely need to neutralize air defenses first to ensure high probability target destination reached. Maybe preceded by dozens of missiles taking out air defenses and other elements as part of a massive combination strike.

With MOAB, would have to be delivered with a heavy bomber, and there would be no doubt who delivered it. Depending on who you ask that could be a good or bad thing.

Another thought, given Russia violating so many conventions such as the Budapest Memorandum, maybe the Montreux Convention of 1936 gets dissolved until the end of the war if a tactical nuke is used by Russian and the Black Sea gets opened to NATO naval privileges allowing in submarines.
Fast attack nuclear boats are SSNs. The ones that carry the so-called second strike ICBMs are the SSBNs and they tend to pootle around extremely slowly, boringly so. It is best not to confuse the two. The UK's current SSBN fleet was launched in the period 1994 - 1999 (actually I am part of the so-called Trident bulge in the RN from those days). The point is that just because boats date from the 1990s does not mean they are not viable. There are issues in the Russian submarine service, but equally they should not be underestimated or discounted or in any way laughed at.

The MOAB is delivered off the back ramp of a C130 Hercules. It is an equally massive understatement to say that one needs an extremely permissive air environment to use it.

Flying B2s above Russia (even if completely undetected, which I personally doubt against a competent modern IADS, as the Serbs proved in a rather conclusive manner against an F117) would quite reasonably be justification for a Russian first-strike on the USA. One needs to understand this stuff.

The Montreux Convention came into being before nuclear weapons existed, so they do not in themselves create any reason to break the Montreux Convention.

(A nuclear attack on any part of Ukraine would not in itself be a direct & clear Art 5 moment for NATO either. Perhaps indirectly, but not directly. Other responses are more likely, whether military e.g. ATACM, F16/Tornado tranche 1, Western MBT, etc; or civil e.g. vote to suspend from UNSC P5, suspend from UNGA, suspend from Swift, etc).

The Budapest Memorandum on the other hand is a possible legally valid pathway to a more 'muscular' and more direct Western intervention in Ukraine in the event of a nuclear event. But it is not well written to suit such a situation and in any case is signed by some particular nations - UK, US, France, China and Russia - rather than by NATO. Arguably it is the Chinese who might provide the most helpful to Ukraine if a nuclear event were to occur. By nuclear event I mean either tactical nuclear release, or loss of containment of one of the Ukraines nuclear power plants - and remember there are very vulnerable storage cooling ponds as well as the actual reactor containment buildings.

The latest realistic map is up. It now shows three significant Ukraine thrusts in the north from three widely separated breakout areas, each with independent logistics/etc paths. The amount of airpower that the Russians are prepared to lose to try and close these thrusts down is a sign of how threatening they are. Because the Ukraine now has the longer range and more precision artillery, they are least affected by the rainy weather.

Iranian life insurance premiums are probably rising sharply

Belarus seems to be taking its bets off the table

MINSK, 22 September. /TASS/. From September 23, Belarus introduces a temporary ban on the export of some industrial goods outside the country, in the list of more than 250 commodity nomenclature codes prohibited for export. The corresponding decree, signed by the country's First Deputy Prime Minister Nikolai Snopkov, was published on Thursday on the national legal Internet portal .

"To establish a temporary ban on the export outside the Republic of Belarus to the member states of the Eurasian Economic Union (EAEU) of goods according to the list according to the annex, regardless of the country of origin," the document says.

the list of goods prohibited for export includes railway locomotives, wagons, tractors, cars, motorcycles, bicycles, aircraft, medical products, various tools and equipment, gas generators, heating equipment, nuclear reactors, fuel elements, engines and other power plants, refrigeration and freezing equipment, forklifts, bulldozers, equipment for agriculture and forestry, agricultural machines, various types of machine tool products, computers, batteries, vacuum cleaners, telephones, including smartphones, electrical equipment, integrated circuits and some other types of products .

NSFL images of dead Russians, drone dropping granades on Russians etc here, scroll down and press to view sensitive content:

War is ugly, feel sad for all those russians who will meet the same fate in the next months.

I am sure it will be ugly up north, they rushed anything that could move up there , the general and staff were wiped out last week, the UKR had a foothold well across the river and had good terrain and russia tried to push them back, crazy. They can retreat north to Russia itself or SE to Svatove. They can't even easily retreat N if the UKR have indeed established a bridgehead across from Dvorichna , that would cut the only road N from what I can see. Real mud country up there, swamps and forests.

USA is doing a really good job with this conflict, the posture is mature, forceful, but not provoking. Had the wrong link, sorry. Anyway this is a response to the nuke questions. They had 3 of these flying at one time today, first time in history. Can't say we're watching you much louder than this.
FWIW the quoted article overstates the uniqueness quite a bit. There are several RC135 variants, based on the type of reconnaissance to be conducted. The Cobra Ball variant is largely supplanted by other information sources, including drones (I link the Wiki only, because the most advanced ones are classified)UAVs in the U.S. military - Wikipedia
and space-based: Solutions for U.S. Defense
I linked Maxar because they are one major US vendor.

The reason there are only three operating RC135S is that they’re obsolete. Now they do send a political message perhaps, but not much they cannot get through other methods.

However their operation still makes a large and obvious political statement in military situations when the message “we’re watching you” needs to be loud, obvious and unsubtle. It works very well for that, and the information it obtains is still useful, notwithstanding other options .

Rather like the even older B52 the 1961 vintage RC135 has had at least six major upgrades, making it still relevant despite ancient age. Some of that is due to Boeing, the prime contractor, having a rare talent of retrofitting ancient airframes to perform modern missions, with the 737 Max the prime civilian example./s

Last edited:
FWIW the quoted article overstates the uniqueness quite a bit. There are several RC135 variants, based on the type of reconnaissance to be conducted. The Cobra Ball variant is largely supplanted by other information sources, including drones (I link the Wiki only, because the most advanced ones are classified)UAVs in the U.S. military - Wikipedia
and space-based: Solutions for U.S. Defense
I linked Maxar because they are one major US vendor.

The reason there are only three operating RC135S is that they’re obsolete. Now they do send a political message perhaps, but not much they cannot get through other methods.

However their operation still makes a large and obvious political statement in military situations when the message “we’re watching you” needs to be loud, obvious and unsubtle. It works very well for that, and the information it obtains is still useful, notwithstanding other options .

Rather like the even older B52 the 1961 vintage RC135 has had at least six major upgrades, making it still relevant despite ancient age. Some of that is due to Boeing, the prime contractor, having a rare talent of retrofitting ancient airframes to perform modern missions, with the 737 Max the prime civilian example./s

I worked for Boeing commercial back in the late 80s and early 90s. They do recycle airframe designs quite a bit, but the 737s they were making in the 90s had little internal resemblance to the original. The 737Max is very different from the 90s model.

As an aside I may have seen the last 707/C-135 airframe come off the production line. I had a class in the Renton factory building and was walking around during lunch. There was a brand new 707 just outside the doors waiting a tow to the airfield. I remember wondering why the air force were still buying them. I read a few weeks later the last 707 airframe had been completed a few weeks before and the factory space was being converted to another 737 line. The airframe had been handed over to the military side of the company to outfit the last batch as tankers. The next tanker batch were going to be based on the 767, though that program had some teething trouble. I forget the details, but they ran into some problems with the conversion. I vaguely recall there were some turbulence problems off the wings.

In any case, I agree flying the Cobra Balls might just be telling the Russians we're watching.

... Because the Ukraine now has the longer range and more precision artillery, they are least affected by the rainy weather.

When I first read theist reminded me how much careful planning and coordination happens with Ukrainian military, but with highly decentralized execution. This is not news, but making gains despite the seasonal constraints makes everyone more optimistic and improves morale while accelerating Russian morale loss and resistance to mobilization as we already see from Meduza:

I worked for Boeing commercial back in the late 80s and early 90s. They do recycle airframe designs quite a bit, but the 737s they were making in the 90s had little internal resemblance to the original. The 737Max is very different from the 90s model.

As an aside I may have seen the last 707/C-135 airframe come off the production line. I had a class in the Renton factory building and was walking around during lunch. There was a brand new 707 just outside the doors waiting a tow to the airfield. I remember wondering why the air force were still buying them. I read a few weeks later the last 707 airframe had been completed a few weeks before and the factory space was being converted to another 737 line. The airframe had been handed over to the military side of the company to outfit the last batch as tankers. The next tanker batch were going to be based on the 767, though that program had some teething trouble. I forget the details, but they ran into some problems with the conversion. I vaguely recall there were some turbulence problems off the wings.

In any case, I agree flying the Cobra Balls might just be telling the Russians we're watching.
You're obviously correct. However, one crucial point is that the use of regulatory 'grandfathering' does allow avoiding more modern control systems and safety standards.
I don't want to argue these points, especially because in the current context we have huge quantities of otherwise obsolete equipment being made effective through deep knowledge and technical excellence long established in Ukraine. That has nothing to do with RC-135 (maybe seeing the last one off the line is amazing) nor the reality that the RC versions were invaluable for decades.
That, of course, suggests that once the war settles Ukraine will certainly build a successor to the AN 225 which was the only one that had the cargo length to handle the very, very long wind turbine blades, although even that was not quite long enough for the latest 88+ meter blades. I know this is a digression from war, but it still is good to remind ourselves that Ukraine has much to offer the world beyond resisting Russian aggression.

Seems this could be used - has the largest conventional punch. Imagine would likely need to neutralize air defenses first to ensure high probability target destination reached. Maybe preceded by dozens of missiles taking out air defenses and other elements as part of a massive combination strike.

With MOAB, would have to be delivered with a heavy bomber, and there would be no doubt who delivered it. Depending on who you ask that could be a good or bad thing.

Another thought, given Russia violating so many conventions such as the Budapest Memorandum, maybe the Montreux Convention of 1936 gets dissolved until the end of the war if a tactical nuke is used by Russian and the Black Sea gets opened to NATO naval privileges allowing in submarines.
The Wikipedia article says it uses a C-130 as the platform; I would say the air environment would have to be secure.

Reactions: iPlug and bkp_duke