Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think what Putin means is: he would like the borders to be frozen at the current state of the war, i.e. keep whatever they currently occupy -- that's the kind of end he would be willing to accept, because he knows they have no chance to make any more gains but a very strong chance to keep losing more ground.
And that leaves him the option to invade further when convenient

Desperate move that won’t likely change anything, but perhaps one of the clearest signs Russia feels things are going poorly for them in east Ukraine.

I found that story fascinating. Desperation indeed.... "We are holding referendums in territories that 1) have ongoing fighting and 2) we do not militarily control". One would hope even China, Iran, and India will scoff at any "results" from these sham referendums? Right?

My personal opinion is the maps this chap puts together are not terribly well grounded in facts. He tends to draw things that he thinks should be happening and which might perhaps be happening in two weeks time if everything goes right. Same for his commentary. Sometimes they are useful but one needs to be wary. Just my opinion.

It looks like Ukraine is trying to capture the Donbas. If they do that, or just come close there will be no escape for Russians in the south through the Donbas. The only land route left will be the Kerch Strait.

In war you don't want to give your enemy an escape route. The ideal offensive traps a large force with no supply and no escape. Then there are only two outcomes: the siege is relieved by outside forces breaking through the lines (which won't happen with this terrain), the surrounded units surrender, or they fight to the last like the Imperial Japanese. Russian morale is way too low to fight to the last, so surrender will become inevitable.

Then Putin needs to try and weather the most humiliating defeat possible: loss of the entire army.

Perun points out that all those babushkas crying when liberated by the Ukrainians are Russian speakers. The claim the Ukrainians were discriminating against Russian speakers was just propaganda.

The Russians were able to get some people in the Donbas to fight against Kyiv because the Donbas is the poorest region in Ukraine and there were some people who figured Russia couldn't be much worse. Now after 8 years of low scale war and 7 months of brutal war that has killed a huge chunk of the male population of Donbas there are probably quite a few of the survivors who are thinking peaceful poverty in Ukraine probably beats genocide under Russia.

Crimea was always more pro-Russian. In the vote to leave the USSR the leave vote was weakest in Crimea. It's also notable that we haven't heard stories of Crimean men being pressed ganged into cannon fodder units like the men of the Donbas. Crimea might be somewhat more tepid about returning to Ukraine, but there are probably plenty of pro-Ukrainians there too. The partisans have been active there and it's difficult to run a partisan operation without civilian help.
A solution to Crimea is to designate it as a demilitarized recreational area using UN peacekeepers. I realize that this is a pie in the sky result, but I don't see Ukraine being able to reclaim the peninsula without suffering severe losses.

I think what Putin means is: he would like the borders to be frozen at the current state of the war, i.e. keep whatever they currently occupy -- that's the kind of end he would be willing to accept, because he knows they have no chance to make any more gains but a very strong chance to keep losing more ground.

Putin is also trying to undermine Western electorate's support for sending weapons to Ukraine.

" The Czar just wants peace."

The Pentagon won't be fooled. Anyone with an IQ above 70 won't be fooled. But......

A solution to Crimea is to designate it as a demilitarized recreational area using UN peacekeepers. I realize that this is a pie in the sky result, but I don't see Ukraine being able to reclaim the peninsula without suffering severe losses.

Militarily getting into Crimea would be costly, but cutting the Kerch Strait and starving out the Russians might work. If they don't surrender invading Crimea after a siege would be easier.

At this point the Ukrainians have the same resolve of the Allies around 1944: we're tired but we're not going to stop until this is over and over for good.

I think Swedes read UK English, and probably not American slang.

Fag in the UK is a cigarette, while faggot is kind of meatball (the latter according to Wikipedia.)

As for maggot, imagine a fly larva wearing a red cap

I've always liked non-American English speaking humor and the internet has allowed me to get more access to comedy from the Britain, Scotland, Ireland, New Zealand, and Australia (a little bit of Welsh, but they want to do a lot of programming in Welsh these days). I realized how much non-American slang I had learned when I came across a hilarious stand up clip from an Australian comedian and shared it with my partner (who is a language geek and has a staggeringly large vocabulary). I found myself explaining every joke. She said she could see where they would be funny if she understood the slang, but having a joke explained kind of spoils the laugh. I realized I had absorbed a lot of foreign slang without realizing it.

My partner likes murder mysteries and we watch a fair number of foreign programs. When sub-titles aren't available I need to interpret the heavy accents for her.

Many years ago I came across something that in the ancient world it was common practice to put a lot of puns into things people wanted there own culture to understand, but didn't want foreigners to figure out. This wasn't to be funny but to speak in a code only your culture could understand. A more recent example of this is Cockney rhyming slang which evolved to have a code language non-Cockney's couldn't understand. Being able to pun in any language is a sign of mastery of the language and local slang trips up non-native speakers all the time.

Nothing new here but I loved this quote:

"President Volodymyr Zelensky is playing the role of a Ukrainian Churchill, minus some of the fantastical notions and with an infinitely better workout regimen."

Nice up-to-date analysis of the situation regarding the impending false referendum and expected Putin speech in a few hours with possible call for mass mobilization then or in some days after claims of annexation.

(Retired) Lt. General Hertling explains why it will fail.

This may have to do with Russian nuclear doctrine which says they will not use nukes until Russian territory is attacked. Making Ukrainian territory officially Russia enables them to step up the nuclear threats. They attempted to capture all of Luhansk and Donesk before launching these initiatives to give them more of a figleaf.

Nobody outside of Russia is going to believe any of it.

Putin was supposed to have a speech today where he announced general mobilization, but he canceled. The draft is very unpopular in Russia and an announcement of mass mobilization could trigger riots the Kremlin can't contain.

Additionally Russia took apart all mechanisms for mass mobilization over 20 years ago. They would be virtually having to start from scratch with their training and other support infrastructure gutted by the war. Mobilization is going to take six months even if they cut every corner possible. To do it right would take a couple of years with a fully functional training system.

In six months the Russians are going to be in a much worse position, if the war is not over. They need manpower three months ago, now is too late.