Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So it's basically based on assumptions and no sources at all... Seems to be A LOT of room for PLENTY of unknowns here...
It's ludicrous to think that Ukraine has significantly more trained pilots than I have surmised. Any air force that trains significantly more pilots than aircraft available is wasting resources. Odds are much greater that the pilot to aircraft ratio is lower for Ukraine than the air forces of wealthier countries.

There are a lot of unknowns. Believing that there are enough trained pilots to equip a large force is wishful thinking. I found an article when I was almost finished with this that adds some information.

Again because it would be ridiculous. The intersection of people who want to fly combat aircraft, are capable of getting through basic training, and have the physical characteristics to handle the g forces of fighters is very small. To require that of all pilots would be putting an extra limit on your air force you don't need to do. Just limit the g limit to perspective high g fighters.

Additionally the mission training for different types of aircraft pilots are different. This is especially true of Soviet/Russian aircraft. The Su-24/Su-25 are dedicated ground attack aircraft. The MiG-29 and Su-27 are designed for air to air. The Soviet/Russian doctrine doesn't use multi-role fighters like the west has. The MiGs have been used in the multi-role, I suspect the ones that have were ones that came from the west and had been updated with western avionics.

Su-24/Su-25 pilots are only trained in ground attack because that's the only thing the planes can do. The pilots don't need the g tolerances of the fighter pilots.

The step from 6 g to 9 g is very significant. 9g is basically the limits of human endurance, but 6g is just brutal on a human body.

Israel is a richer country than Ukraine who has been getting military aid from the US for decades. The IAF has been building this force over 70 years. Ukraine doesn't have the resources Israel has.

Ukraine has trained with NATO before the war, but a search for stories about the air force before the war indicates that there are more Ukrainian pilots trained than I thought because they have been hemorrhaging trained pilots, but their training is not great, they didn't get many flight hours before the war:
Jet pilots leave Ukraine’s Air Force en masse, threatening security

Many of those pilots who left have probably been brought back into the air force and some of them are probably going through F-16 training now. The pool of potential F-16 pilots is bigger than I thought, there are roughly 140 pilots (not all fighter pilots) who left in the years before the war.

The key word here being "may"...

I'll just add one more thing about the underlined above:

This too (as in the underlined above) is also just based on one or several assumptions.

The F-16 is a 9G aircraft.

How do we know that the UKR Air Force doesn't have a 'must be capable of-demand' of being able to sustain at least 9G for all their pilots regardless of what one- or two-seater jet they are flying for the contingency that UKR Air Force would need to backfill pilots for the Mig-29 or the Su-27?...

Also: The Su-24 is a 6G aircraft. It can probably be over-G'd to 7G at least in a pinch. And the Su-25 is a 6,5G aircraft. It can probably be over-G'd to at least 7,5G or even 8G in a pinch. So the step up to 9G isn't that 'significant' at all... All pilots for the Su-24 & Su-25 could be required to pass regular extended 9G sessions in a centrifuge and perhaps even the occasional in seat flight training at 8-9G in either the Mig-29 or the Su-27...

Also: I'm going to guess that the Ukrainians took a similar approach to their Air Force pilots as the Israeli Air Force (IAF) has always(?) done. The IAF has no kind of 'affirmative action' what so ever. Only the very best suited in their population can be selected to fly fighter and/or attack for the IAF. Why? Because their entire nation literally depends on the IAF. And we are not talking about WW2 era Battle of Britain here, we are talking about this very hour... If the IAF were to get wiped out, then that would be bad. But in the case of the IAF being wiped out I guess the US would have 'stepped in' by that time (at the latest).

But as we have all seen the Ukrainians did not have that 'luxury'...
The F-16 is 9g capable only when the wings are clean, no drop tanks or weapons. Otherwise it’s capable of around 6-7 g’s depending on the configuration. Something to consider, their physical limitations for pilots may not matter.

The F-16 is 9g capable only when the wings are clean, no drop tanks or weapons. Otherwise it’s capable of around 6-7 g’s depending on the configuration. Something to consider, their physical limitations for pilots may not matter.
9g's and max speed are relevant in just a few scenarios.

What is important is the sensor suite and the long range missile capability, coupled with the ability to have combined arms.

Israel is also a much smaller country than Ukraine. Both in size and population. If the limitation is the number of men and women with the physical and mental attributes to be fighter pilots, then why does Israel have so many? I think we'll see a surge of capable young Ukranians very eager to get in the cockpits of the F-16 and any other gen 4/5 fighter aircraft to defend their homeland. And as is typical in wartime, the training will be expedited.

Even a country like the US that does a lot of screening along the way, 1/3 to 1/2 of pilot cadets wash out. I don't know what Israel's wash out rate is, but it's probably comparable to the US. Ukraine has plenty of young men who want to fly fighters, and with a larger population they probably have more of them than Israel, but only so many can be accepted for training at any point in time and you have to expect that somewhere between 33 and 50% are not going to make it all the way through for one reason or another. It's just the calculus of a complex, very demanding job. You're going to have a lot of candidates, but not everyone can be trained to do it.

Even though the F-16 does not routinely pull that kind of g load, all pilots in the air forces that fly them now need to be capable of tolerating 9 gs to get certified to fly them. I suppose Ukraine could make an exception though.

Reactions: petit_bateau
First section on McCarthy and potential Ukraine funding. Won't Ukraine bills get passed if 100% dems and ~50% republicans are pro Ukraine war?
To clarify the majority of Democrats and Republicans are not “pro Ukraine war”. They are pro democracy and pro Ukraine.

To clarify the majority of Democrats and Republicans are not “pro Ukraine war”. They are pro democracy and pro Ukraine.

There are a lot of machinations going on behind the scenes. Who knows exactly what's going to happen.

The votes are there to fund the Ukraine effort quite easily, but the Speaker of the House has the power to control whether bills get to the floor for a vote or what's in the bills that do get to the floor. The Speaker can act as a gatekeeper. That's how the funding for Ukraine got pulled from the funding bill last week. McCarthy had made a deal with the White House and the Senate (both Democrats and Republicans) to pass the Ukraine funding with the bill to fund the government, but because Gaetz was threatening to challenge McCarthy's speaker ship, McCarthy pulled the Ukraine funding and Gaetz challenged his leadership anyway. The Democrats were prepared to vote to retain him if he kept his bargain, but when he pulled the Ukraine funding they knew he had to go.

The Democrats are talking to the dozen Republicans who are very anti-Jordan about a compromise candidate who would be at least responsible and fund the things that need funding for the next year. I also have the feeling that the White House are brain storming ideas to get things to Ukraine if the funding isn't allocated. Anything the White House does on its own will have limits though.

There are a lot of moving parts.

Summary of Israel war:
Does this need a new thread?

I suspect the mods will probably want to do that. If they allow it at all.

Ben Hodges in Newsweek:
“What I think Ukrainians have done correctly is to focus their efforts on destroying artillery, destroying headquarters, destroying logistics […] This is how you neutralize the only advantage the Russians have—the advantage of mass—by taking away their headquarters, taking away the artillery that’s required to support them and make it difficult for Ukrainians to get through minefields, and then finally the logistics: taking out ammunition and transportation.”
“Any criticism of how the Ukrainians are doing it, or how they’re not going fast enough, is really wrong and misplaced.”

A Russian nuclear test in the near future would be the latest in a stream of nuclear signals related to the war in Ukraine, which often come when Russia is facing battlefield losses,” said Heather Williams, the director of a project on nuclear issues at the Center for Strategic and International Studies

Those upset at Pax Americana are going to like a more "multi-polar", post-Pax Americana world a lot less.

Well, except for the few like Putin who is leading off the devolution. Events connected, but geographically elsewhere in the last 24 hours may just be the next step.

I'm not sure that what is going on in Israel is a sign of Pax Americana ending.

Politically the 9/11 attacks and Pearl Harbor opened the door for the presidents at the time to do things they wanted to do but politically couldn't. Invade Iraq for GW Bush and get into the war in Europe for Roosevelt (Germany declared was on the US on Dec 8). There has been speculation ever since both of those attacks that the administrations knew the attack was coming, but deliberately looked the other way. In both cases there is evidence that the US government was aware something was happening, but they failed to alert the right people or took the right measures. History is full of question marks whether they were the failings of a peace time government who failed to put the pieces of the puzzle together or if they were deliberately looking the other way to allow events to happen. The world may never know for sure.

Netanyahu has raised the ire of a lot of Israelis in the last year. Israel has some of the world's most sophisticated border protections, yet they failed. This is a question that will likely never be answered completely, but Israel being successfully attacked helps Netanyahu politically. A rally around the flag moment usually boosts a head of government's popularity. Was Israel deliberately looking the other way to allow the Hamas attack to get as far as it has?

I do think the US pulling back from the oil producing part of the Middle East may be a sign of the US's pulling back it's influence world wide. A lot of US allies are still dependent on ME oil, but the US hasn't been for some time and is now more independent of oil outside North America than it has been in 50 years.

A war between Iran and Saudi Arabia would be an indication of a post-Pax Americana world. And that is a possibility in the near future. SA doesn't want it, they have a lot of modern equipment, but they don't have the personnel to operate it.

I'm not sure that what is going on in Israel is a sign of Pax Americana ending. ...A war between Iran and Saudi Arabia would be an indication of a post-Pax Americana world. And that is a possibility in the near future. SA doesn't want it, they have a lot of modern equipment, but they don't have the personnel to operate it.
Unfortunately, many signs for the last decade or so that the peace dividend has begun to wane. Hopefully a good part of it lasts for many years to come.

The growing scale of Russian colonialism is unmatched since WWII. China is becoming more and more assertive over recent years trying to claim and enforce their false sovereignty over vast littoral areas and islands that belong to their neighbors. And now we see the growing influence of Iran more evident in the last 1.5 years within the Ukraine war and Israel in the last 2 days. Saudi Arabia cares much less what the U.S. thinks these days. Others such as India are also starting to feel more confident...

Unfortunately, many signs for the last decade or so that the peace dividend has begun to wane. Hopefully a good part of it lasts for many years to come.

The growing scale of Russian colonialism is unmatched since WWII. China is becoming more and more assertive over recent years trying to claim and enforce their false sovereignty over vast littoral areas and islands that belong to their neighbors. And now we see the growing influence of Iran more evident in the last 1.5 years within the Ukraine war and Israel in the last 2 days. Saudi Arabia cares much less what the U.S. thinks these days. Others such as India are also starting to feel more confident...

The most important requirement is that the US gets more help and occasionally allies help solve problems with the US is distracted.

Countries/regions broadly aligned with the US include:_
  • EU
  • UK
  • Japan
  • South Korea
  • Israel
  • Australia
  • India (particularly in the case of China)
  • NZ, Taiwan, Philippines, Malaysia, Vietnam, Thailand (particularly in the case of China)
The Asian US allies are not backing Ukraine strongly but would almost certainly be on the US side in any conflict with China,

The key for the US is to ensure the EU would be on the US side in any conflict with China.

As bad as the war is, I expect Israel to win because they have overwhelming firepower, the conflict is a complete mismatch...

It is very disappointing that there have never been a good solution to the Palestinian problem. At various times when they seemed close to a deal one of the sides has walked away. I don't blame the US for that, and I don't see how the US could have prevented this war.

A likely outcome of this war is that Israel will start to view Hamas/Iran/Russia as aligned and may be prepared to offer Ukraine more military support.

Sympathy for the Palestinians in many parts of the world has been sapped by this conflict.

The common thread here is that like Putin, Hamas has made a very bad decision and started a war that should end badly for them..

The Saudi/US relationship has soured in recent years. The rise of MBS in Saudi Arabia hasn't helped them, but Saudi Arabia is also becoming less important to US global calculus. Both the US and Saudis know that Saudi oil reserves are in sharp decline. They front that there is nothing wrong, but anyone who understands oil production knows Saudi Arabia is in terminal decline as an oil producer. It's not over yet, but their vast influence in the oil market is fading.

The old demarcation lines are fading and the world is realigning. Who knows how things will shake out.

The most important requirement is that the US gets more help and occasionally allies help solve problems with the US is distracted.

Countries/regions broadly aligned with the US include:_
  • EU
  • UK
  • Japan
  • South Korea
  • Israel
  • Australia
  • India (particularly in the case of China)
  • NZ, Taiwan, Philippines, Malaysia, Vietnam, Thailand (particularly in the case of China)
The Asian US allies are not backing Ukraine strongly but would almost certainly be on the US side in any conflict with China,

The key for the US is to ensure the EU would be on the US side in any conflict with China.

As bad as the war is, I expect Israel to win because they have overwhelming firepower, the conflict is a complete mismatch...

It is very disappointing that there have never been a good solution to the Palestinian problem. At various times when they seemed close to a deal one of the sides has walked away. I don't blame the US for that, and I don't see how the US could have prevented this war.

A likely outcome of this war is that Israel will start to view Hamas/Iran/Russia as aligned and may be prepared to offer Ukraine more military support.

Sympathy for the Palestinians in many parts of the world has been sapped by this conflict.

The common thread here is that like Putin, Hamas has made a very bad decision and started a war that should end badly for them..

Basically all the stable, liberal democracies are aligned with the US (with a couple being neutral but tend to build out their militiaries with NATO standard equipment). A few more shaky democracies are also aligned with the US because they have someone they want to defend against.

The more authoritarian states are making noises about going their own way, including some countries that used to be liberal democracies, but an authoritarian came to power. In many cases these authoritarians have drifted into Moscow's orbit because Moscow stands against the US hegemony. But the alliance with Moscow is usually a loose one.

India has inched away from Russia since the war began. But India is large enough they can stand on their own. Alliances would be helpful for them, but they can survive because they are too big to be conquered. Nobody in the world can raise a 24 million person army to occupy India.

I do expect Hamas' successes will be short lived. From an Israeli ex-pat I knew a few years ago (he was married to a friend and divorced her as soon as he got his green card), the Israeli military is not as good as it was 50 years ago. There is more resistance to the draft now than they used to be and training of conscripts is not to the same caliber. Israel still has a vast power advantage over Hamas.

Hamas could run a successful insurgency were Israel to occupy the Gaza Strip, but operating in Israel itself Hamas only has the advantage of surprise which is gone now. Insurgencies are effective at denying another power control over territory that is home turf for the insurgents, but they are not going to be an effective expeditionary army. Once they get off their home turf most of their advantages vanish.

China is an unknown militarily. When any army goes to war, there are things they don't know they don't know and they learn hard lessons in the process. An army with recent conflict experience has learned a lot of those lessons and the learning curve for the new war is shallower. Germany got involved in the Spanish Civil War and had some minor military actions taking Czechoslovakia, Austral, and the Rhine back so they were better prepared for war than Britain and France who hadn't really been to war since 1918.

China's last military conflict other than a few minor border skirmishes with India was 50 years ago which was long before they modernized the military. Not only is everyone who participated in their last conflict a pensioner or dead, but the lessons learned in that conflict are completely out of date because not only has military technology changed, but the entire make up of the Chinese army is different.

On paper China has a strong military with a lot of modern equipment, but they have zero experience using it in a conflict.

Contrast this with many western countries and especially the US who have combat experiences from the last decade (in Afghanistan, Syria, and some in Africa). The US knows how to use all the equipment in its inventory. It has not faced a near peer adversary in 70-80 years (depending on whether you count Korea as a near peer), so there would be some learning there in a conflict with Russia or China. In a war with the US China would be learning the same sort of near peer lessons the US is learning, plus learning how all their new equipment performs in real world combat.

China has built a naval force that on paper could invade Taiwan, but amphibious operations are very, very tough. One of the most difficult things any military can do is an amphibious operation at scale (raids with special forces are a different issue). The US developed the best force for conducting amphibious operations the world has ever seen, but it hasn't been tested since 1950. The US would struggle to conduct a successful opposed landing today and it trains for that. (The UK was pretty good at it too, but the US was able to do it at a scale nobody else ever could.)

One area where combined arms is critical is in amphibious operations. Keeping the enemy at bay long enough to get a strong force ashore to have a good beachhead is critical and that takes air and naval power working in harmony. Combined arms requires a lot of training and there is little evidence that China is training their amphibious forces and amphibious support to the level needed to invade Taiwan.

China is a dangerous near peer opponent, but they have some big weaknesses and no easy way to overcome them short of a full scale war.