Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting timing of Navalny's death. Happened right at the beginning of the U.S. House going into recess now until February 28.

Someone whose name rhymes with Shootin' and Lootin' may have calculated that if the House were still in session, Navalny's death might be enough to push the Speaker to bring the Senate-passed package to the floor where it was already expected to pass there. Calculation may be that by Feb 28, enough people would already have forgotten about his death to forestall bringing the package to the floor.
If the behavior of Mike Johnson, Speaker of the House, left any doubt before that he was 100% following Putin's wishes, this last closure of the House ... in the face of a discharge petition (with enough support best we can tell) to allow a vote on a Ukraine bill that his own caucus wants, and that of course the overall House wants - that doubt, if it existed before, must be gone.
The House leadership is willing to go against the majority of the House, and likely the majority of his own caucus, to continue to starve Ukraine of needed equipment.
I would not have said that with such certainty even a week ago, although signs pointed that way, but closing the House immediately to avoid a House vote on the standalone foreign aid package ... I just don't see any other way to interpret this.
MAGA Republican House leadership is now acting directly in line with Putin's wishes, against the interests of the United States, European allies, and democracy in general.
I know this post is political but this topic is now very much about the future of Ukraine, who even now seem to be in the process of being squeezed out of Avdiivka ... Russian advances there started to make progress as our aid trickled to a halt.
I'm aware the EU is stepping up, and they are significant ... but the USA was 50% or more at times of aid, and from what I read, much of the equipment in use in the fighting ONLY comes from the USA. Losing that pipeline makes major problems for stretched Ukrainian defense lines.
What a gift the MAGA folks are to Vladimir Putin, and to the anti-democratic forces everywhere. What a true gift. The mask is clearly off now - I hope it matters to folks paying any attention at all. Some please tell me voters are paying attention.

Someone should lean on the Biden administration to release some of the estimated 4 million 155mm cluster munition shells in US stockpiles to Ukraine. These have zero value to the US military, and I'm quite certain that Ukraine would be happy to have them.

Someone should lean on the Biden administration to release some of the estimated 4 million 155mm cluster munition shells in US stockpiles to Ukraine. These have zero value to the US military, and I'm quite certain that Ukraine would be happy to have them.

An interesting article, and a roundabout way more cluster shells might get sent. But, despite the article's subtitle, to me looks legally dubious. The article says to ship the shells to Germany first ... then, and only then, conveniently declare them "excess" and unneeded. If they were excess in Germany, why were they not excess in the US? I don't see how House MAGA-ites don't scream "unfair", and would say Biden is skirting Congress' intent, and they tie it up in litigation and hearings. More confusion, more delays... maybe I am being too negative here, but it may not be as easy as the article says.
Still, possibly worth a try though. Ukraine needs more than shells, but ... they sure as heck do need more shells. And from what I gather from Denys, cluster munitions are still being effective against the tactics the Russians have been forced to employ (infantry assaults -- since most tanks get droned to death).

An interesting article, and a roundabout way more cluster shells might get sent. But, despite the article's subtitle, to me looks legally dubious. The article says to ship the shells to Germany first ... then, and only then, conveniently declare them "excess" and unneeded. If they were excess in Germany, why were they not excess in the US? I don't see how House MAGA-ites don't scream "unfair", and would say Biden is skirting Congress' intent, and they tie it up in litigation and hearings. More confusion, more delays... maybe I am being too negative here, but it may not be as easy as the article says.
Still, possibly worth a try though. Ukraine needs more than shells, but ... they sure as heck do need more shells. And from what I gather from Denys, cluster munitions are still being effective against the tactics the Russians have been forced to employ (infantry assaults -- since most tanks get droned to death).
I think the process of storing part and ammunition in Europe needs to be rethought quickly…a Dutch court declared it is illegal to ship F35 spares to Israel from a warehouse in Holland

• Informative
Reactions: SwedishAdvocate
Never a good sign when reality becomes satire. :(

Screen Shot 2024-02-16 at 12.08.10 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-02-16 at 12.07.42 AM.png

And the consequences to Putin for Navalny’s death is?

Good question. In 2020 or so POTUS warned of devastating consequences if Navalny was harmed/killed in prison. Today's teleprompt read speech and Q/A went off the rail again for funding and otherwise didn't have any specifics about consequences other than to say Russia has already had consequences. In the meantime, it continues to be a failed strategy to bully Congress's control over the purse strings. He needs to play ball or continue to take his lumps.

Good question. In 2020 or so POTUS warned of devastating consequences if Navalny was harmed/killed in prison. Today's teleprompt read speech and Q/A went off the rail again for funding and otherwise didn't have any specifics about consequences other than to say Russia has already had consequences. In the meantime, it continues to be a failed strategy to bully Congress's control over the purse strings. He needs to play ball or continue to take his lumps.
What law obligates POTUS to tell the public what the consequences are or will be within 2 days of the death?

If the behavior of Mike Johnson, Speaker of the House, left any doubt before that he was 100% following Putin's wishes, this last closure of the House ... in the face of a discharge petition (with enough support best we can tell) to allow a vote on a Ukraine bill that his own caucus wants, and that of course the overall House wants - that doubt, if it existed before, must be gone.
The House leadership is willing to go against the majority of the House, and likely the majority of his own caucus, to continue to starve Ukraine of needed equipment.
I would not have said that with such certainty even a week ago, although signs pointed that way, but closing the House immediately to avoid a House vote on the standalone foreign aid package ... I just don't see any other way to interpret this.
MAGA Republican House leadership is now acting directly in line with Putin's wishes, against the interests of the United States, European allies, and democracy in general.
I know this post is political but this topic is now very much about the future of Ukraine, who even now seem to be in the process of being squeezed out of Avdiivka ... Russian advances there started to make progress as our aid trickled to a halt.
I'm aware the EU is stepping up, and they are significant ... but the USA was 50% or more at times of aid, and from what I read, much of the equipment in use in the fighting ONLY comes from the USA. Losing that pipeline makes major problems for stretched Ukrainian defense lines.
What a gift the MAGA folks are to Vladimir Putin, and to the anti-democratic forces everywhere. What a true gift. The mask is clearly off now - I hope it matters to folks paying any attention at all. Some please tell me voters are paying attention.

When people vote, it appears that they are paying attention. The polls have consistently been off by a wide margin.

What law obligates POTUS to tell the public what the consequences are or will be within 2 days of the death?

Nothing. The world may never know.

Under the draft compromise plan released Friday and spearheaded by centrist Rep. Brian Fitzpatrick (R-Pa.), $47.7 billion would be allocated to assist Ukraine and replace U.S. weapons sent into the fight against Russia. The measure, cosponsored by four Republicans and four Democrats, provides only military funding for Ukraine, Israel and Taiwan, dropping the humanitarian aid from the Senate version.

It also includes border security provisions favored by Republicans aimed at flipping GOP lawmakers who contend the U.S. shouldn’t approve more Ukraine funding without addressing the migrant crisis at the U.S.-Mexico border.

House Foreign Affairs Committee Chair Michael McCaul of Texas, a Ukraine supporter, said Congress ought to pass a supplemental in March to help Kyiv with a planned counteroffensive in April — and that he anticipates Johnson to work in that time frame.
Similar article:

Well that's it for Avdiivka. I'm hoping they left before they started losing too many soldiers.
It has been an amazing stand. Piles of dead Ruzzians. Sad that the Ruzzian soldiers are too afraid or too stupid, or too drunk to know who their real enemy is.

From today’s Toronto Star

A woman laying flowers for Navalny at a Moscow memorial said he was “the last beacon of hope for anything to change, and that hope died today. So the only thing I want to do now is cry, I have no more words.” She identified herself only by her first name, Elmira, for fear of repression.

Status
Not open for further replies.