Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD this year, or hold out for Performance in a year...

Wait to get Performance or get RWD this year?

• I will get RWD so I get it ASAP

Votes: 64 41.0%
  • I will wait and get AWD even if it means I might miss the full tax credit

Votes: 77 49.4%
  • I will give up the tax credit and splurge on a PXXD

Votes: 15 9.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you're beginning to see how this works.
Thats stupid. I was being facetious. For goodness sake you are in a forum typing in a thread giving a factual opinion about something (Model 3) that doesn't exist?

Indeed......I got the picture alright.

Let me be the first to inform you that the Model 3 exists. Hey....Have you seen the Model 3 RC's and mules? There is this new place called a factory where they are being made in Fremont California.
Oh....that's right...I forgot.....they aren't making anything there....because it doesn't exist yet. lol

Correct, we can't judge if Telsa delivered the Model 3 on time before Tesla actually delivered a Model 3 on time.
No, no. We aren't talking about time. We are talking about it existing or not. It exists even though they haven't delivered one. Lets not twist the topic.

I ask again - -Question: Have you seen the RC's? They exist.

Oh wait. You are in the Netherlands. No wonder you don't think it exists. You might not wee a model 3 until 2019.

You mean Elon disagrees with himself. He's previously stated in a tweet that some of the March 31st reservation holders may get AWD models before the end of the year. Elon Musk on Twitter now this was replying to someone in California

The twitter question you cited was regarding the AWD rollout asked be a Colorado resident. Now if California March 31st res holders for AWD is a maybe in Dec 2017, then it's safer to simply say early next year when responding to a CO resident for which you don't know when they reserved.
Hmmm good point but I doubt even Elon knows geographically based dates that accurately at this time :)

Seriously torn with my purchasing decision. I've been waiting for this car forever, since before the Model S. Plan was to get optioned up AWD car. Now we know that AWD means waiting until next year, I am considering just getting RWD. I'm currently in NC mountains, but may be closer to Charlotte in a year or so where there is really no winter. I'm pretty sure I'd get mine this year if I want RWD, which means guaranteed tax credit, but that I would get that money in late January/early February, which would be very good.

The only thing I'm torn on now is if I should put off my order, giving me another 6+ months of saving time, and getting a Performance model just for the heck of it. Fairly sure that my next car after this will be for comfort only, as it will drive itself, so thinking maybe I should get something insanely, or ludicrously, fun, even if it means paying a lot more and missing the tax credit. I've never had a fast car, so it would be a huge for me.

Anyone else unsure of what they're going to get?
Seriously torn with my purchasing decision. I've been waiting for this car forever, since before the Model S. Plan was to get optioned up AWD car. Now we know that AWD means waiting until next year, I am considering just getting RWD. I'm currently in NC mountains, but may be closer to Charlotte in a year or so where there is really no winter. I'm pretty sure I'd get mine this year if I want RWD, which means guaranteed tax credit, but that I would get that money in late January/early February, which would be very good.

The only thing I'm torn on now is if I should put off my order, giving me another 6+ months of saving time, and getting a Performance model just for the heck of it. Fairly sure that my next car after this will be for comfort only, as it will drive itself, so thinking maybe I should get something insanely, or ludicrously, fun, even if it means paying a lot more and missing the tax credit. I've never had a fast car, so it would be a huge for me.

Anyone else unsure of what they're going to get?

I was originally going for a fully optioned model 3. However, the main reason i want to go electric is to get away from gas. Most important feature for me is distance. The biggest battery pack is a must.
The most you can hope to save is the price of gas for the miles driven and some maintenance costs (oil changes, etc.).
That said, RWD and large battery for me.

Reactions: DR61 and Waiting4M3
Base Model S 0-60 is 5.5 seconds. We now know the base Model 3 is 5.6 seconds. That's only 0.1 second slower. I'd expect the entire lineup to follow pretty closely except the P75D would probably be closer to 3 seconds or more rather than 2.3 just because it won't have the huge battery. Compare it more to a P85D Model S.
Tesla could also make the MS faster when the M3 is finally revealed

That part wasn't based on what you said, it was based on Elon claiming that they will be working their way up to 10K per week....and everyone seems to gloss over the fact that to get from 5K/week in September-ish timeframe, you have to do 6, 7, 8, and 9K/week at some point.

They're not going to do 5K the last week of October, then magically flip a switch and DOUBLE the output the following week.
They would just use a regular switch.
Pretty sure they are not magical, although if they were it would make forum speculation even more of a waste of time.

U just gave me idea to buy base model with no options... Would stand to lose the least money on it if I resell next year... but then do I lose my place in line for PAWD???
You would lose your place, but you'd probably want to keep the first car for at least two years, by which time the wait time on a new M3 would be a few months, like the S now.

• Informative
Reactions: DrivingTheFuture
With AWD not being available until early 2018, will they have pricing in it at launch?

It would be really disappointing if people wanted to wait for it, then once I arrives it's more than expected and they couldn't quite afford it without losing other options.

They would just use a regular switch.
Pretty sure they are not magical, although if they were it would make forum speculation even more of a waste of time.
Naw, it's going to be a big red button :)

As they've stated, they have the infrastructure to go from 5,000 to 10,000 but there's a matter of time and cost, if they ramp up too quickly then they will post quite a large loss for the quarter when they are trying to show they can be profitable with Model 3. The goal will be to produce as many as you can without added complexity up front, ramp that up and then introduce complexity of different drivetrains, RHD, etc. In this fashion, they should be able to fund the ramp up themselves.

Right now they "feel good" about using internal funds, but they aren't 100% confident.