TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

S/3 Comparo -- Driven Back-to-Back-to-Back

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by ForeverFree, Mar 4, 2018.

1. mikevbf

mikevbf Active Member

User Interface

2. xrayangiodoc

xrayangiodoc Member

Surprised that there are no comments about build quality of the M3 in view of what I have been reading in various press articles.

3. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

User Interface, it's a decades old term from the computer field.

P.S. Computer types tend to now also use UX, short for User eXperience, for a related but more encompassing concept of not just the what's on the computer screen everything that the user interacts with and thinks about when using a system.

4. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

A lot of that stuff is very vehicle specific.

In regards to 3 vs S, if anything there is something of a general sense that the 3 is something of an improvement, but variance between vehicles will overshadow that.

5. ForeverFree

ForeverFree Supporting Member

In terms of straight-ahead acceleration, there can be no doubt. Flooring even my 85D is enough to make me seriously woozy ... and I'm someone who has had little trouble handling g forces in airplanes and hang gliders.

Did have a chance to drive a P100D for an afternoon, and it was definitely mind (and neck) bending!

6. ForeverFree

Having spent time on non-motorways in counties Kerry and Cork, I admire your courage!

7. ForeverFree

I do wonder whether some of the fun factor of the 3 comes from RWD ... and coil suspension ...

8. ForeverFree

Yes. Penalty box for the rest of the drive. :(

9. ForeverFree

You will love the 3 in BC!

10. buttershrimp

buttershrimp Click my signature to Go Mad Max Mode

But model 3 can't do this!!
    IMG_1781.jpg

• Funny x 2
  11. iluvmacs

iluvmacs Member

I respectfully disagree. I did have a 2013, but I'd say that close to none of the reasons I find the 3 better are things that were ever changed in the S in later years.

12. iluvmacs

iluvmacs Member

Oh, I can do that. Mine has had no issues at all. No noticeable panel gaps (and I checked). Touch screen works great. Haven't rebooted it at all. No complaints! Love the car, it's a masterpiece.

• Love x 3
  13. bnsfengineer

bnsfengineer Member

Dang! How many pounds is that????

14. bnsfengineer

bnsfengineer Member

I will chime in on that as well since I did the same thing everyone has and look for all the defects! I picked up this past Saturday and first thing we checked was the hood..Perfect! Then the glass panel roof maybe uneven...Perfect! Ohh only thing when she was driving home noticed bubbles in the screen and turns out its just clear plastic cover we haven't taken off yet. Otherwise its perfect. Sometimes we all have a tendency to place too much emphasis on the negative and need to consider the majority of deliveries that have gone smoothly and we will never hear about simply because of that reason alone! Nothing to complain about!:D

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  15. apmowery

apmowery New Member

We've had our M3 for almost a month & it is amazing. No issues in build quality whatsoever. Drove it all the way back from Fremont to home (Birmingham, AL). We have a 2nd reservation - for the dual motor air suspension later this year & can't imagine buying another ICE again. Everything about Model 3 has thoroughly impressed my wife & me.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  16. buttershrimp

buttershrimp Click my signature to Go Mad Max Mode

Let's put it this way, it was a little light, and buttershrimp had to break some legs to make his point. I don't condone violence, but when someone steals half a brick of uncut cocaine, you have to make a point otherwise soon it's be a whole brick light. I'm just saying, I can't allow people to cut into the bottom line of my EV-Cocaine-Tesla-Delivery.

• Funny x 2
  17. Roadster84

Roadster84 New Member

I appreciate your keen eye for a tongue in cheek sarcasm, but then your jerk reaction with personal suggestion disqualified you from being taken seriously. Why the mentality of ”you need to step down from your pedestal” to confirm with our established communal mediocrity?!
    Where is the appreciation for a strong it just different individual opinion.
    Are you terrified or uneasy that someone got a different perspective, perhaps better one or just different? Does the forum has to be a mutual verbal masturbatory exercise within some kind of gang mentality commune with stupid ranks deriving from the numbers of meaningless drivel posts?! ...
    Seems like a ”Snowflake” attitude.
    I simply made a post about cars and you guys couldn't help yourself but to go on defense and try to school me about my supposed attitude?! ...
    Whats next, you gonna hide behind ”microaggression” accusations or some other silly suggestions?! ..,

• Disagree x 2
    • Funny x 1
  18. svp6

svp6 Member

So back to the M3 / S comparison. I no longer have the P85D, so it is not a true "back-to-back" comparison. But we had our M3 for almost 4 weeks now (had the P85D for 3 years) and here are my impressions:
    1. The model S is the faster ride. Acceleration was stunning - and that is from someone who only used the insane mode 3-4 times - all when showing the car to friends. M3 is fast, but not as much as the P85. Of course, it is a single motor, non-performance, so it is an apples to oranges thing, but it is the only model available now.
    2. The model S is the smoother ride. There is really no comparison here. My wife keeps complaining about how the car picks up every single bump in the road. The air suspension on the S did a fabulous job at absorbing road imperfections yet keep great contact.
    3. Contrary to what others said here, I find the interior materials in the 3 to be of better quality. Fit and finish is also better - at least compared to my previous S.
    4. The minimalist interior of the 3 is overdone. It feels like someone made a bet "we can do the car without any button" except for the mandatory hazard lights. You also better read the manual to locate it - it would have never crossed my mind to look at the ceiling to locate the hazard lights switch.
    5. Both cars are following the batcave concept of interior ambient lighting. I find the contrast between the screen(s) and the pitch-black in the rest of the car disturbing at night. Other manufacturers are doing a great job at increasing the ambient light to match the increasing size of control screens in the UI. Driving at night in my Merc is really much more comfortable vision-wise.
    6. Overall, the S was a better car - and only 70k more expensive;).

After one month of ownership we decided we will trade in our model 3 for either the AWD performance M3 (when available - made a deposit already), a truly refreshed S, or another EV like the iPace or Mission E (provided these prove themselves reliable in the real world).

19. hill

hill Active Member

Our X replaced the 400h. as great a safety rating as the 400h received, we switched to the x because it was doing so remarkable in horrifically catastrophic collisions. I hated to hear about the 1st of such, & there have been a couple crashes that were disastrous regarding the model 3, but ... has there been any word yet as to how well the driver/passengers did?

20. johnster007

johnster007 Member

I don’t know. I haven’t driven our 3 much since it’s hers’ but my initial impression is that I prefer our S75D. Many already noted but here’s my list:

1) Ride is way smoother and more comfortable
    2) Much quicker on the straightaways
    3) More interesting variety of interior materials, less plasticky
    4) Nav is way better executed
    5) Ambient lights more effective
    6) Hatchback makes packing easier, auto hatch is nice
    7) Heated steering wheel
    8) ALCANTARA! :)

Sorry if I’m stating the obvious, but if the comparison doesn’t consider price, I still think the S is still a better way to travel.

• Love x 1