Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S/3 Comparo -- Driven Back-to-Back-to-Back

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately nonstandard acronyms or abbreviations are unhelpful, and this applies to both sophisticated and unsophisticated EV owners. What does UI refer to? Much appreciated.
User Interface, it's a decades old term from the computer field.

P.S. Computer types tend to now also use UX, short for User eXperience, for a related but more encompassing concept of not just the what's on the computer screen everything that the user interacts with and thinks about when using a system.

Hmm. Sounds like the 3 is very impressive. I wonder if you'd choose differently if you did back to back with a P100D? The power in the P90D causes me to have some pretty silly grins. :)

Performance model 3 would be fun, but I don't know if they would let it compete with the performance Model S. The available 1300 amps from the model 3 battery might indicate otherwise, though. 1300 amps in the 3 might be pretty close to the 1700 amps available in the P100D, given the lower weight.

In terms of straight-ahead acceleration, there can be no doubt. Flooring even my 85D is enough to make me seriously woozy ... and I'm someone who has had little trouble handling g forces in airplanes and hang gliders.

Did have a chance to drive a P100D for an afternoon, and it was definitely mind (and neck) bending!

Writing from Amelia Island just arrived after
P85DL cruise down from CT. Easy 500 miles
Day 1 then 400 day 2 including blowing away a
Few Carolina muscle cars on I95. Very satisfying
Awaiting M3 AWD intended for my wife but
Hoping for some local hands on for the CT back
roads. Cannot however imagine preferring
It on I95 trip. Of course we’ll see what the next
S version vs next 3 versions include.
Btw do not do this:
If in auto steer and you accelerate past 90 the
Software will immediately deny auto steer until next stop. A sort of Tesla naughty boy message.

Yes. Penalty box for the rest of the drive. :(

The OP's assessment was only for the regular powertrain. Once the P3 comes out the comparison to the PS can be made. Until then, that jury is out. But it seems the jury has come back on the S vs. 3 and the 3 has the majority of jurors.

It's the exact opposite for me. Most of my driving is on windy mountain highways. I still love driving my S on them but can't wait to get my 3 to see how it performs. Tesla surprised us in Canada and moved our dates from late-2018 to mid-2018. Bring it on!

You will love the 3 in BC!

But model 3 can't do this!!
IMG_1781.jpg

Surprised that there are no comments about build quality of the M3 in view of what I have been reading in various press articles.
Oh, I can do that. Mine has had no issues at all. No noticeable panel gaps (and I checked). Touch screen works great. Haven't rebooted it at all. No complaints! Love the car, it's a masterpiece.

Surprised that there are no comments about build quality of the M3 in view of what I have been reading in various press articles.
I will chime in on that as well since I did the same thing everyone has and look for all the defects! I picked up this past Saturday and first thing we checked was the hood..Perfect! Then the glass panel roof maybe uneven...Perfect! Ohh only thing when she was driving home noticed bubbles in the screen and turns out its just clear plastic cover we haven't taken off yet. Otherwise its perfect. Sometimes we all have a tendency to place too much emphasis on the negative and need to consider the majority of deliveries that have gone smoothly and we will never hear about simply because of that reason alone! Nothing to complain about!:D

We've had our M3 for almost a month & it is amazing. No issues in build quality whatsoever. Drove it all the way back from Fremont to home (Birmingham, AL). We have a 2nd reservation - for the dual motor air suspension later this year & can't imagine buying another ICE again. Everything about Model 3 has thoroughly impressed my wife & me.

But model 3 can't do this!!
View attachment 285230

Let's put it this way, it was a little light, and buttershrimp had to break some legs to make his point. I don't condone violence, but when someone steals half a brick of uncut cocaine, you have to make a point otherwise soon it's be a whole brick light. I'm just saying, I can't allow people to cut into the bottom line of my EV-Cocaine-Tesla-Delivery.

It better be for the price. Please tell us something we don't know.

I know this is said "tongue-in-cheek" but nevertheless the 3 is much more of a vehicle than you are willing to admit. Not everyone is a racetrack driver and it is more than sufficient for most people to have a lot of fun in it -- even in advance of the P version. I don't go to church, and my mother-in-law lives half away around the world in Australia (which works for me) so I'll be using mine to drive to my cabin and back a lot and I know for a fact it will be much more fun than a Prius, and probably more than my S85. But of course not as fun as P100DL (although there's a lot to be said for a small car on a windy highway).

In my view, you need to step down from your pedestal a bit.

I appreciate your keen eye for a tongue in cheek sarcasm, but then your jerk reaction with personal suggestion disqualified you from being taken seriously. Why the mentality of ”you need to step down from your pedestal” to confirm with our established communal mediocrity?!
Where is the appreciation for a strong it just different individual opinion.
Are you terrified or uneasy that someone got a different perspective, perhaps better one or just different? Does the forum has to be a mutual verbal masturbatory exercise within some kind of gang mentality commune with stupid ranks deriving from the numbers of meaningless drivel posts?! ...
Seems like a ”Snowflake” attitude.
I simply made a post about cars and you guys couldn't help yourself but to go on defense and try to school me about my supposed attitude?! ...
Whats next, you gonna hide behind ”microaggression” accusations or some other silly suggestions?! ..,

So back to the M3 / S comparison. I no longer have the P85D, so it is not a true "back-to-back" comparison. But we had our M3 for almost 4 weeks now (had the P85D for 3 years) and here are my impressions:
1. The model S is the faster ride. Acceleration was stunning - and that is from someone who only used the insane mode 3-4 times - all when showing the car to friends. M3 is fast, but not as much as the P85. Of course, it is a single motor, non-performance, so it is an apples to oranges thing, but it is the only model available now.
2. The model S is the smoother ride. There is really no comparison here. My wife keeps complaining about how the car picks up every single bump in the road. The air suspension on the S did a fabulous job at absorbing road imperfections yet keep great contact.
3. Contrary to what others said here, I find the interior materials in the 3 to be of better quality. Fit and finish is also better - at least compared to my previous S.
4. The minimalist interior of the 3 is overdone. It feels like someone made a bet "we can do the car without any button" except for the mandatory hazard lights. You also better read the manual to locate it - it would have never crossed my mind to look at the ceiling to locate the hazard lights switch.
5. Both cars are following the batcave concept of interior ambient lighting. I find the contrast between the screen(s) and the pitch-black in the rest of the car disturbing at night. Other manufacturers are doing a great job at increasing the ambient light to match the increasing size of control screens in the UI. Driving at night in my Merc is really much more comfortable vision-wise.
6. Overall, the S was a better car - and only 70k more expensive;).

After one month of ownership we decided we will trade in our model 3 for either the AWD performance M3 (when available - made a deposit already), a truly refreshed S, or another EV like the iPace or Mission E (provided these prove themselves reliable in the real world).

Interesting comparison. I got my Model X last week (100D) and am loving it! We seem to be incapable of the whole "traveling light" mode, so the SUV was a logical move from a Lexus RX450h. But now you've got me wondering about the forthcoming Model Y. My wife still has a Lexus RX400h, so when the time comes...
Our X replaced the 400h. as great a safety rating as the 400h received, we switched to the x because it was doing so remarkable in horrifically catastrophic collisions. I hated to hear about the 1st of such, & there have been a couple crashes that were disastrous regarding the model 3, but ... has there been any word yet as to how well the driver/passengers did?

I don’t know. I haven’t driven our 3 much since it’s hers’ but my initial impression is that I prefer our S75D. Many already noted but here’s my list:

1) Ride is way smoother and more comfortable
2) Much quicker on the straightaways
3) More interesting variety of interior materials, less plasticky
4) Nav is way better executed
5) Ambient lights more effective
6) Hatchback makes packing easier, auto hatch is nice
7) Heated steering wheel
8) ALCANTARA! :)

Sorry if I’m stating the obvious, but if the comparison doesn’t consider price, I still think the S is still a better way to travel.

• Love
Reactions: oldtrip