Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S-Class Drive Pilot 2.0 vs. Tesla Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has nothing to do with Switzerland, it is a European auto-lane change behavior. What matters at the end is not what is technically achievable, but what Tesla is able to get regulatory approved. And in this area, Mercedes is obviously a step ahead of the Americans in terms of lane changing.

Are we sure this is a regulatory question at all?

Certain regional behavior differences might have different backgrounds altogether. Just as a theory (probably totally unrelated), could the existence of autobahns for example encourage different safeguards in European cars compared to the U.S.

Are we sure this is a regulatory question at all?
Certain regional behavior differences might have different backgrounds altogether. Just as a theory (probably totally unrelated), could the existence of autobahns for example encourage different safeguards in European cars compared to the U.S.

You're right, it is just a guess that it is a regulatory thing. Nevertheless, autobahns are autobahns, except for germany with it insane speed sections, they're very similar all over europe and comparable to highways in the US. Based on my last trip trough europe, automatic lane change behaves the same in different european countries.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
You're right, it is just a guess that it is a regulatory thing. Nevertheless, autobahns are autobahns, except for germany with it insane speed sections, they're very similar all over europe and comparable to highways in the US. Based on my last trip trough europe, automatic lane change behaves the same in different european countries.

Sure, sure. I was just thinking out loud than a European Tesla is infinitely more likely to drive on an autobahn durings its existence than an American Tesla. It may have been a silly theory (as said, probably not related at all), but just trying to think of some regional differences outside of regulations that might explain it.

It may be regulations too, who knows. Mercedes having a different functionality on this makes that a bit more questionable, though.

- automatic speed adjustment to detected traffic signs or navigation data
My Tesla does this.

Two pictures showing the automatic speed adjustment :

TACC and Autosteer ON, Speed sign 60 km/h, Max Speed 60 km/h, current Speed 60 km/h

TACC-60.PNG

Speed sign changed to 50 km/h,
Message "Speed limited to 50 km/h with TACC/Autosteer" (German:"Lenkassistent-Geschwindigkeit auf 50 km/h begrenzt")
Max Speed changed to 50 km/h and current Speed automatically adjusted to 50 km/h

TACC-50.PNG

Reactions: DurandalAI
Yes, but this does only work on urban roads where Autopilot is not very good at, and not on highways, where Autosteer/Autopilot is intended to be used.

Further, it does not use the speed limit delta set in the settings (e.g. +5 kmh allowed), which is annoying, since 50 kmh on the dash is about 45 kmh effectivly. Using this, you are a traffic obstacle in many ways. To me, this looks more as a way to move the people to not using autopilot on urban roads.

Last edited:
Yes, but this does only work on urban roads where Autopilot is not very good at, and not on highways, where Autosteer/Autopilot is intended to be used.

Further, it does not use the speed limit delta set in the settings (e.g. +5 kmh allowed), which is annoying, since 50 kmh on the dash is about 45 kmh effectivly. Using this, you are a traffic obstacle in many ways. To me, this looks more as a way to move the people to not using autopilot on urban roads.

This is the behavior of future autonomous driving, authorized speed limit ONLY ! And by the way the speed called "ground speed" (measured by GPS !) is very close to the speed displayed on the dash of a Tesla (- 3 km/h) even closer when driving at 120 km/h (- 2 km/h), so I don't think you are a traffic obstacle and this means you will never be able to use TACC + Autosteer on highways.

Reactions: Carl
You may be right here. Autonomy would come with other advantages which will probably justify being an traffic obstacle - but since we're talking about level 2 assistance systems, I prefer to be able to override or autoadjust detected speed as long as I am the responsible driver. The system should be superhuman is a claim often is made in this context. If a human is able to justify that it is safe to drive 82 instead of 80, an autonomous system should be able to do that as well. The important part is here to stay within a configurable tolarance that is also implemented in speed traps.

The thing is, today, when you drive exactly 120 km/h when the speed limit is 120 km/h, you will have to drive always on the right lane because a lot of other manual cars will overtake you with higher speeds. You've to drive on the same lane as caravans and trucks, which drive 80 km/h. So this would a very annoying thing in a mixed autonomous/manual traffic scenario. Driving 123 km/h instead of 118 km/h in a 120 km/h section is much more convenient, since the cases where other cars want to overtake you on the left lane are much less likely in reality.

Last edited:

Sure it use the delta