Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S vs Cadillac CT6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

K-MTG

Sunshade Captain of TMC
Oct 24, 2015
Irvine, CA
I have been considering an S to replace my Cadillac ELR and accompany my X90D. I would likely purchase a 60/75 as I only commute 30 miles per day. The X takes care of the long weekend drives.

Tesla trade-in quoted me $24k on the ELR, which is significantly lower than I expected. When I took in my ELR for service earlier this week, the dealer offered a $38k trade-in for the ELR provided I trade-in for a CT6 plugin. I bought the car for $54k in 2014 before incentives so it was roughly $45k after incentives. Thus, $38k is very good, only $7k depreciation after 28000 miles over 3 years.

They are offering me a loaded plug-in CT6 Platinum for $69k and will offer a 72 month loan with 0% APR. They are that desperate!! I am not surprised as my ELR had a MSRP of $80k (I bought for $54k).

Can you persuade me not to purchase the CT6, the interior was beautiful and the ride was smooth and quiet. The massage seats were also a bonus! Definitely not a bad deal for $30k after the trade-in but I would still like an S.

I may not purchase an S now but tell me something that will prevent me from purchasing the CT6. Hopefully I won't purchase another non-Tesla.

• Disagree
Reactions: WarpedOne
The drivetrain of the S is WAY better than the CT6. Other than that, the Caddy is superior in every other way: much more luxurious interior, no range/charging concern, much better QC and reliability, parts and service availability ready anytime, should you need it.

There is no CT6 PHEV Platinum. It is a Premium Luxury. So no AWD, 4-wheel steering. It is pretty loaded however. We are going to try and drive one this weekend.

The real bargains are the Platinum ICE models, up $16k off MSRP.

My wife wants it for the night vision and other safety aids.

Last edited:
I saw the CT6 PHEV today in Tustin. Nice car, amazing leg space and adjustable shoulder belts. There are several concerns with this plug-in.

1. No green California CAV HOV sticker.
2. Small trunk space (battery takes up the rest).
3. Rear wheel drive only with no spare tire due to smaller trunk.
4. Different sized tires, so no front to back rotation:

P235/50R18 front
P265/45R18 rear

The handle above the passenger doors is a plus along with a Rear-Seat Infotainment system. So much luxury to enjoy! Cadillac is building these in one trim level only with limited color selections. Buyers should compare the PHEV trim with the ICE trims to see what is missing and included. While there are decisions to make, the extra options and accessories with the PHEV seem reasonable if the buyer chooses them all.

Crystal White Tricoat $500
All possible Options $690
All possible Accessories $788
(LPO, Interior Protection Package not selectable on the website).

Cadillac | 2017 CT6 Plug-In

Cadillac has some impressive models. For long distance travel or cargo carrying, the need for more trunk space hinders the CT6 PHEV. It's a lot of battery in the trunk area for 31 miles of EV range. However, it is a luxury plug-in that will attract the customers who want to drive to work, home and around the city in style, comfort and enjoy 5.2 second 0 to 60 accelerations plus regenerative braking.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mknox and K-MTG
We tested a CT6 PHEV, and the tiny trunk space and erratic transition from EV to ICE in normal traffic when you need acceleration killed it for us. Sometimes it takes off, sometimes it lags. It's not like a Volt at all with instant response all the time. It drives like a Fusion PHEV, certainly not a luxury level drivetrain. We drove there to buy it, and went back empty handed, and were glad we did.

After testing various cars, we ended up the CT6, but not the PHEV, the Platinum TT. The 4 wheel steering, more responsive engine, big trunk, makes it a much better car than the PHEV. We wanted to like the PHEV, but it wasn't up to GM's usual standards much less Cadillac's.

However, you are not going to mistake the CT6 TT for an EV of any kind. It's a trade off. You get a lot of advanced luxury features not available from Tesla like night vision, all wheel steering, 360 deg camera, power rear seats, magnetic suspension, etc, etc, etc. But it's missing the EV feeling, so in a way feels cheaper, and is certainly an inferior powertrain.

Edit - Why not a Model S? This car was for my wife, and she does not want a BEV. And she wanted the night vision and some of the other Cadillac's features as well.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Mark Z and NerdUno
We tested a CT6 PHEV, and the tiny trunk space and erratic transition from EV to ICE in normal traffic when you need acceleration killed it for us. Sometimes it takes off, sometimes it lags. It's not like a Volt at all with instant response all the time. It drives like a Fusion PHEV, certainly not a luxury level drivetrain. We drove there to buy it, and went back empty handed, and were glad we did.

After testing various cars, we ended up the CT6, but not the PHEV, the Platinum TT. The 4 wheel steering, more responsive engine, big trunk, makes it a much better car than the PHEV. We wanted to like the PHEV, but it wasn't up to GM's usual standards much less Cadillac's.

However, you are not going to mistake the CT6 TT for an EV of any kind. It's a trade off. You get a lot of advanced luxury features not available from Tesla like night vision, all wheel steering, 360 deg camera, power rear seats, magnetic suspension, etc, etc, etc. But it's missing the EV feeling, so in a way feels cheaper, and is certainly an inferior powertrain.

Edit - Why not a Model S? This car was for my wife, and she does not want a BEV. And she wanted the night vision and some of the other Cadillac's features as well.
Does your CT6 come with SuperCruise?

This is interesting. I didn't realize GM was still dabbling with the all-wheel steering. I was interested in it when I was looking for my Yukon XL, but they never got past the 2500 series. It made real sense for an 18+ foot long vehicle for maneuverability, but I guess it also useful for stability in high speed direction changes. Even so, it would be nice to have on the Model X in a parking lot.

This is interesting. I didn't realize GM was still dabbling with the all-wheel steering. I was interested in it when I was looking for my Yukon XL, but they never got past the 2500 series. It made real sense for an 18+ foot long vehicle for maneuverability, but I guess it also useful for stability in high speed direction changes. Even so, it would be nice to have on the Model X in a parking lot.

The all wheel steering is only ±3.5°, but makes it far easier to park "square" into a parking stall or garage. At higher speeds it supposedly enhances chassis control, But I have yet to take the car on a closed course. I'll probably AutoX it this summer on hot asphalt so it does less damage to the Goodyear Touring 245/40R20 tires. I've wrecked treadwear 500 tires in the past by tracking them at full tread height. It breaks pieces off the edges of the blocks if you slide. The good news about the crappy tires is we are getting 28-29 mpg highway at 70-80 mph in a large car. Incredible mileage IMO for a 400+ HP large luxury sedan.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Mark Z and NerdUno
Does your CT6 come with SuperCruise?

Nope. Her decision. I would have waited. If she likes the CT6, she will probably get the Super Cruise model when it's released.

The CT6 PHEV will never have SuperCruise (or the Bose Panaray sound system, or some other features) because the battery takes up all the space necessary for those systems' hardware.

I test drove a CT6 PHEV and it reminded me of the 2014 Cadillac ELR rather than the 2016 ELR. It's a poor 1st generation attempt that was obviously made for China more than the U.S. No control over when the gas engine kicks in, the EV-only acceleration is disappointing, and C.U.E. is still a disaster (although less so than it was in the ELR). Additionally, there isn't any all-wheel drive option for the PHEV. It's also ridiculously overpriced for what you get, just like the original ELR.

I was all ready to buy this car, but Cadillac managed to "pull another ELR" and ruin what should have been an amazing vehicle.

• Helpful
Reactions: Mark Z
The CT6 PHEV will never have SuperCruise (or the Bose Panaray sound system, or some other features) because the battery takes up all the space necessary for those systems' hardware.

I test drove a CT6 PHEV and it reminded me of the 2014 Cadillac ELR rather than the 2016 ELR. It's a poor 1st generation attempt that was obviously made for China more than the U.S. No control over when the gas engine kicks in, the EV-only acceleration is disappointing, and C.U.E. is still a disaster (although less so than it was in the ELR). Additionally, there isn't any all-wheel drive option for the PHEV. It's also ridiculously overpriced for what you get, just like the original ELR.

I was all ready to buy this car, but Cadillac managed to "pull another ELR" and ruin what should have been an amazing vehicle.
Wait, you lose trunk space when you opt for supercruise?

Will we have to wait for Lucid Air before Tesla revamps the interior?

i am! Tesla is a premium car, not a luxury car...they just have a luxury price tag. :)

i came from a Lexus LS460L with the executive rear sear similar to lucid's and the model S is no where near this...

225915.jpg 225920.jpg 225921.jpg