Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S3XY buttons at Abstract Ocean

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was confused by the discussion around “autopilot resume” since “Resume AP” was another name that Enhance Auto used for the “Autopilot ON” button function, where you had to click a button to make it happen.

View attachment 1002291

But I think what y’all are talking about is “Continuous Autopilot”, where it doesn’t require a button click, right?

View attachment 1002292
Yes, the new feature we're talking about is the continuous AP. I guess I was just thinking that AP resumed after being deactivated by the turn signal during a lane change, so I just called it AP resume. But I meant what they called continuous AP.

• Informative
Reactions: BitJam and jsmay311
I would buy these in a heartbeat if they added the ability to adjust the position of front seats from the rear seat. I believe the highland can do this now from the rear screen for the passenger seat if unoccupied.

@dimitar.ns Whenever I use camp mode I move both front seats forward for more space and I always remeber to do this when I'm already in the back. If you could add a smart action if the front seats are unoccupied AND camp mode is activated THEN move both front seats forward.

How many features do you get with the knob?

There are 4 buttons with the knob and 3 home pages for a total of 12 simultaneous functions. It is fully programmable so there are over 130 different functions you can assign to the 12 buttons/homepages.

You get all the functions for the price of the knob?
Yes, but the knob costs a lot more than the buttons.

Reactions: Jones1
You get all the functions for the price of the knob?
I’m still waiting for my knob. I don’t know if anyone has gotten one yet. That is the advertised Features.

There are 4 buttons with the knob and 3 home pages for a total of 12 simultaneous functions. It is fully programmable so there are over 130 different functions you can assign to the 12 buttons/homepages.

Yes, but the knob costs a lot more than the buttons.
yes. But the knob is S3xier 😆

Reactions: BitJam
yes. But the knob is S3xier 😆
I agree. The hepatic feedback for selecting a homepage seems to be incredibly cool and incredibly practical. If I didn't already have the buttons and I didn't already have a usb hub and a cool shelf/tray in that same area then the knob would be an insta-buy for me.

The shelf/tray is the "medium" one from EVFITUS.

It's where I keep my S3XY buttons and is a very handy place to set things down. I have it slid back (towards the front of the car) about an inch due to the usb hub. This is great because it hides the phone charger area which is where my S3XY dashboard phone lives. The tray is designed to fit into the track for the center console sliding lid and can slide back with the lid but I don't use that feature. Instead I have it sit on top which is great. If I need to get into the center console then I just lift off the shelf/tray.

I use the packing foam the buttons came in to hold them in a row on the tray. I wish Enhauto made a little plastic holder to do this. Better still, they could pack the buttons in the plastic holder. You can find plans for 3D printing a holder but I don't have a 3D printer.

Reactions: Jones1
Found an easily reproducible bug with Continuous Autopilot:
  1. Engage autosteer
  2. Disengage autosteer by signalling to change lanes and then changing lanes
  3. Before Continuous Autopilot reengages autosteer, cancel TACC (pressing on the brake or pushing up on the stalk)
  4. Continuous Autopilot will now reengage autosteer
I found this bug because my normal method for getting onto an exit ramp is to leave TACC on until I change into the exit lane so I can maintain my speed until I'm fully in the exit lane.

Found an easily reproducible bug with Continuous Autopilot:
  1. Engage autosteer
  2. Disengage autosteer by signalling to change lanes and then changing lanes
  3. Before Continuous Autopilot reengages autosteer, cancel TACC (pressing on the brake or pushing up on the stalk)
  4. Continuous Autopilot will now reengage autosteer
I found this bug because my normal method for getting onto an exit ramp is to leave TACC on until I change into the exit lane so I can maintain my speed until I'm fully in the exit lane.
I found this while getting off an exit ramp also. I think it's because the AP re-engagement happens when the turn signal stops. If you manually cancel AP before the signal stops, it sends the signal to turn on AP once the turn signal stops. I usually do it anyway (although obviously not the time when I found this), but when using continuous AP I just make sure I manually cancel AP before signaling to get off the highway.

I don't really know how else they could implement continuous AP, so to me it's not really a bug, just something to note when using the feature.

I found this while getting off an exit ramp also. I think it's because the AP re-engagement happens when the turn signal stops. If you manually cancel AP before the signal stops, it sends the signal to turn on AP once the turn signal stops. I usually do it anyway (although obviously not the time when I found this), but when using continuous AP I just make sure I manually cancel AP before signaling to get off the highway.

I don't really know how else they could implement continuous AP, so to me it's not really a bug, just something to note when using the feature.

It's a bug because it is dangerous. The car is deciding on it's own to accelerate in a situation where I'm not expecting it.

And I think the solution is simple. In my mind, the code for when the timer expires just blindly sends the command to enable AP. A simple check to see if TACC is enabled or not would fix this.

Reactions: BitJam
It's a bug because it is dangerous. The car is deciding on it's own to accelerate in a situation where I'm not expecting it.

And I think the solution is simple. In my mind, the code for when the timer expires just blindly sends the command to enable AP. A simple check to see if TACC is enabled or not would fix this.
If I understood it correctly, I don't think the Gen1 Commander can read the AP/TACC status. Gen2 can do it with an additional connection to the CAN bus up front.

When I did the exit ramp while having continuous AP on and cancelling AP manually before the signal turned off, I was kind of expecting AP to come back on because in my mind resuming AP would logically be triggered upon the turn signal going off. I can see where it could be dangerous if the driver isn't expecting it. Maybe they will adjust the logic on the Gen2 Commander. Personally speaking, I'm fine with how it is implemented, but perhaps they could put up a warning when the button is being setup on a Gen1 Commander.

Really? Wouldn't that mean it engages AP every time you use the turn signal, even if AP hasn't been on at all? That seems like a bad idea.

But I do see they have a MPH configuration on it, so maybe that is really how it works. :eek:
That's true. I guess I'm not sure how continuous AP works then. They said that one of the things the Gen2 Commander has over Gen1 is AP-state information. (others are stuff like speed limit sign, tire pressure, blind spot, etc)

Anyway, if the Gen1 Commander is able to detect AP being on so it executes the continuous AP smart action, I guess it should be able to detect a manual cancel before the turn signal goes off. I guess we can email them about this bug and if they can adjust it, they probably will. It makes sense to have a manual AP cancel to cancel the smart action until AP is manually turned on again.

Reactions: CapsEngineer