Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S3XY buttons at Abstract Ocean

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well isn't it too early to tell? I mean I don't think the screenshots list the full set of controls that it can control yet right. Perhaps the screenshots provide just a sample of what functions it can do and does say it can do "much much more"
It is using the Tesla API from your phone. So for the most part it is going to be limited to things that the Tesla app can do. (There may be some things the API supports that the Tesla app doesn't, but I suspect there are very few of those.)

It also means that both the car and your phone have to have Internet connectivity for it to work. (So for example, it won't work in a lot of parking garages.) And it won't work if someone borrows your car, but doesn't have your phone. (Or isn't hooked up to it and your car via the Tesla app on their phone.)

It is using the Tesla API from your phone. So for the most part it is going to be limited to things that the Tesla app can do. (There may be some things the API supports that the Tesla app doesn't, but I suspect there are very few of those.)

It also means that both the car and your phone have to have Internet connectivity for it to work. (So for example, it won't work in a lot of parking garages.) And it won't work if someone borrows your car, but doesn't have your phone. (Or isn't hooked up to it and your car via the Tesla app on their phone.)
Gotcha. I wouldn't worry about the borrowing your car part. Lets be real...how often are you going to have other people borrow your car. Will have to see when the Ctrl-Bar gets fully released.

My buttons have been pretty buggy in my 23 Model Y.

1) My hands-on auto-pilot button started engaging the annoying cow-bell gimmick, with only a single press.
2) I have a 4 second door-hold that opens the frunk enabled. Yesterday when I engaged Park pulling into work, the car honked and the frunk popped. I've since disabled this feature as it's more trouble than it's worth.

The S3XY buttons come with little round black-and-white stickers with different icons that correspond to different functions the buttons can perform.

Does anyone know if these stickers prevent the LED blinker lights on the buttons to be clearly seen through the stickers? Or are they translucent enough that the light passes through enough to be seen even in bright conditions?

The S3XY buttons come with little round black-and-white stickers with different icons that correspond to different functions the buttons can perform.

Does anyone know if these stickers prevent the LED blinker lights on the buttons to be clearly seen through the stickers? Or are they translucent enough that the light passes through enough to be seen even in bright conditions?
I couldn't honestly tell you, since I put all my buttons in locations where you can't normally see them: the back side of the steering wheel, the back side of the display, and under the lip of the center console armrest. (Trying to keep to the "minimalist" aesthetic.)

I'll 2nd this, they are massive and ugly. i'd be interested in a small slim set that are actually connected to each other that attach to the bottom of the screen. And what about a physical volume knob. It would work just like programming two buttons for up and down?
Not sure about the massive or ugly, but all of mine are hidden from view, behind the steering wheel, bottom.back corner of the screen and just under where you open the arm rest storage. Love them and the functionality is superb

Two quick requests for new functionality.

1. An option to always turn on the passenger side vent when climate starts up. During the summer this helps cool the interior down.
  2. An option to leave the climate on for 10 r 15 minutes when exiting the car. I know that I can manually keep the climate on, but I have to remember to do that when I'm running in somewhere for a short time (dry cleaners, store, etc.). I'm willing to accept that it will do this even when I don't want it to.

Gotcha. I wouldn't worry about the borrowing your car part. Lets be real...how often are you going to have other people borrow your car. Will have to see when the Ctrl-Bar gets fully released.
After they changed the law in Denmark so if anyone is doing, what is called "madness driving" will get the car confiscated and sold, i would never let anyone loan my car.

If they do over double the speed limit or above 125 miles per hour on the motorway MY car gets confiscated and sold, even if someone else does this.

Only exception is if someone steals the car.

Does also apply to leased and rental cars....if i lease or rent a car, and do this, the leasing / rental company has their car confiscated and sold.

Madness driving also covers anyone being stopped with a blood alcohol content of 2 grams of alcohol per kilo a person weighs...This is called 2.0, the limit in Denmark is 0.5

So unless i am sitting in the passenger seat i would never let anyone (Other than my wife) drive my Tesla :)

Not sure about the massive or ugly, but all of mine are hidden from view, behind the steering wheel, bottom.back corner of the screen and just under where you open the arm rest storage. Love them and the functionality is superb
So, what does each button you have actually do.

What does the one on the back of the steering wheel, the one on the back of the screen and so on do.

Asking to get and idea of what use cases these buttons might be "worth it"

What does the one on the back of the steering wheel, the one on the back of the screen and so on do.

I think there were some posts in this thread about what people did with their S3XY buttons and where they put them. But they are probably kind of hard to find unless you comb through the thread.

I had made a post last year about my 8-button setup. The only thing I've changed is swapping the double-click for rear child lock for Track Mode activation:

After they changed the law in Denmark so if anyone is doing, what is called "madness driving" will get the car confiscated and sold, i would never let anyone loan my car.

If they do over double the speed limit or above 125 miles per hour on the motorway MY car gets confiscated and sold, even if someone else does this.

Only exception is if someone steals the car.

Does also apply to leased and rental cars....if i lease or rent a car, and do this, the leasing / rental company has their car confiscated and sold.

Madness driving also covers anyone being stopped with a blood alcohol content of 2 grams of alcohol per kilo a person weighs...This is called 2.0, the limit in Denmark is 0.5

So unless i am sitting in the passenger seat i would never let anyone (Other than my wife) drive my Tesla :)
Agreed. Its like people stress over the <1% situation that applies in general to most Tesla owners. I prefer to drive my own Tesla 99.5% of the time. Like I worry about the insurance part because at the end of the day my name is on the insurance policy regardless of who the driver is.

Do people here who have the S3XY buttons have the 4 button or 6 button configuration? Is there any lag with the buttons?
I bought the 6-button pack initially, then bought another 2 buttons later to max it out. I used 3 buttons for the each of the 3 rear seat heating positions, otherwise probably didn't need to have 8 buttons, especially since they added double-click functionality so that it's like having 16 buttons now.

I've found that there's usually an initial lag on the first press (doesn't matter which button) of maybe 2~3 seconds for each particular drive. Subsequent presses during the drive are pretty responsive. I don't find the initial lag to be an issue as I just anticipate it, but if something like that bothers you, these may not be for you.

I bought the 6-button pack initially, then bought another 2 buttons later to max it out. I used 3 buttons for the each of the 3 rear seat heating positions, otherwise probably didn't need to have 8 buttons, especially since they added double-click functionality so that it's like having 16 buttons now.

I've found that there's usually an initial lag on the first press (doesn't matter which button) of maybe 2~3 seconds for each particular drive. Subsequent presses during the drive are pretty responsive. I don't find the initial lag to be an issue as I just anticipate it, but if something like that bothers you, these may not be for you.
Oh so the max number of buttons the commander can support is 8 buttons?

Back of steering wheel, left spoke: short press - toggle autopilot*, long press - full regen
Back of steering wheel, right spoke: short press - 50% regen, long press - zero regen
Back of steering wheel, bottom spoke: short press - toggle steering wheel heat, long press - precondition battery
Back right of display: short press - open glove box, long press - open right door (comes in handy when picking someone up)
Under armrest lip, driver side: short press - open trunk, long press - open frunk
Under armrest lip, passenger side: short press - open charge port, long press - fold/unfold mirrors

* The functionality of the toggle autopilot button changed recently. Now if either TACC or autopilot is on, it turns both off. It used to turn on the autopilot on if TACC was on and AP was off. If AP is on, it turns off both (same as before). What I wish it did is just control the auto pilot: If both are off, turn both on; if TACC is on, turn on AP; if both are on, turn AP off, but leave TACC on. Currently with the buttons, there's no way to turn off the AP and leave TACC on. I used to use this for lane changes: override the AP with the steering wheel, then press the button to turn on the AP. Now it requires two button presses to re-engage the AP.

Do people here who have the S3XY buttons have the 4 button or 6 button configuration? Is there any lag with the buttons?
We bought a 4 pack for one car and a 6 pack for the other. The Commander allows for each button to do two separate functions. The buttons go into a sleep state after a while to conserve the battery so after being away from the car for a while the first press of each button does involve a brief lag. Thereafter they are relatively instant. I don’t mind this wake up lag and it makes sense to avoid needlessly draining the batteries by never sleeping.

Back of steering wheel, left spoke: short press - toggle autopilot*, long press - full regen
Back of steering wheel, right spoke: short press - 50% regen, long press - zero regen
Back of steering wheel, bottom spoke: short press - toggle steering wheel heat, long press - precondition battery
Back right of display: short press - open glove box, long press - open right door (comes in handy when picking someone up)
Under armrest lip, driver side: short press - open trunk, long press - open frunk
Under armrest lip, passenger side: short press - open charge port, long press - fold/unfold mirrors

* The functionality of the toggle autopilot button changed recently. Now if either TACC or autopilot is on, it turns both off. It used to turn on the autopilot on if TACC was on and AP was off. If AP is on, it turns off both (same as before). What I wish it did is just control the auto pilot: If both are off, turn both on; if TACC is on, turn on AP; if both are on, turn AP off, but leave TACC on. Currently with the buttons, there's no way to turn off the AP and leave TACC on. I used to use this for lane changes: override the AP with the steering wheel, then press the button to turn on the AP. Now it requires two button presses to re-engage the AP.
Wow, that's a lot of extra functionality..

To be honest, for my usecase i don't really think many of these options like this is for me. :)

I can see the idea behind the autopilot, i find it a bit silly to have to do 2 down presses on the right stalk to engage, this could have been done more elegantly in my mind, especially when the car does not temporarily disengage while changing lane on the motorway, and then reengage when lane change is completed, this is a bit silly to have to "constantly" have to do the double flip with that stalk every time you overtake a lorry on the motorway.

What is the advantage of "micromanaging" the regen ? I just have mine set to full and then i adjust the speed with only the throttle. I assume the reason you want to adjust it, is to use it as sort of a manual brake, instead of doing one pedal driving ? (Or am i missing something?)

Open Trunk i kind of get, even though i do this from within the car so infrequent, that i am probably just going to do it on the screen :) (The same applies to Frunk i think)

Steering wheel heat. Has this not been made kind of redundant after they made auto-heated steering wheel ?

Glove box, i see the idea but our glovebox usually contains "Not very often used documentation and a small medical kit including a few bandages".

Only time the glovebox usually sees any action is on holidays, for passports and so on :)

Open chargeport ? I am fairly new so i am probably missing something, but when would it be be benificial to open the chargeport from within the car. I mean, you need to exit the car to plug and unplug the charger anyway, and either the charger has the "open sesame" button or you just tap the bottom of the charge port to open it. ?

Fold mirrors ? Is this for parking in narrow spots ? The car folds them automatically when the car locks, what other situations would it be needed to fold them manually ?

Anyway, thank you for your input right now i personally don't think most of what you as an advanced driver have been using these buttons for, i might "see the light" regarding the functions you have assigned to each button though :)

I wonder if these buttons can be set to

Short press - Turn on seat heating at level 2 on (left/middle/right) rear seat.
Long Press - Turn off seat heating on (left/middle/right) rear seat.

If it does, i might go for a set, to let the kids control the heated seats in the rear themselves.

There is a screen upgrade that can be installed in the back, but this sadly lets the kids control way more functions than i would want and they can not be disabled in some secret menu. (Control passenger seat movement, control overall climate control temperature, control car audio volume).

If these buttons could be assigned to this one function, they might be worth considering for this task, and if i have the control box installed, i bet over time i will also want some additional features and thus, additional buttons scattered all over the car :)

Wow, that's a lot of extra functionality..

To be honest, for my usecase i don't really think many of these options like this is for me. :)

I can see the idea behind the autopilot, i find it a bit silly to have to do 2 down presses on the right stalk to engage, this could have been done more elegantly in my mind, especially when the car does not temporarily disengage while changing lane on the motorway, and then reengage when lane change is completed, this is a bit silly to have to "constantly" have to do the double flip with that stalk every time you overtake a lorry on the motorway.

What is the advantage of "micromanaging" the regen ? I just have mine set to full and then i adjust the speed with only the throttle. I assume the reason you want to adjust it, is to use it as sort of a manual brake, instead of doing one pedal driving ? (Or am i missing something?)

Open Trunk i kind of get, even though i do this from within the car so infrequent, that i am probably just going to do it on the screen :) (The same applies to Frunk i think)

Steering wheel heat. Has this not been made kind of redundant after they made auto-heated steering wheel ?

Glove box, i see the idea but our glovebox usually contains "Not very often used documentation and a small medical kit including a few bandages".

Only time the glovebox usually sees any action is on holidays, for passports and so on :)

Open chargeport ? I am fairly new so i am probably missing something, but when would it be be benificial to open the chargeport from within the car. I mean, you need to exit the car to plug and unplug the charger anyway, and either the charger has the "open sesame" button or you just tap the bottom of the charge port to open it. ?

Fold mirrors ? Is this for parking in narrow spots ? The car folds them automatically when the car locks, what other situations would it be needed to fold them manually ?

Anyway, thank you for your input right now i personally don't think most of what you as an advanced driver have been using these buttons for, i might "see the light" regarding the functions you have assigned to each button though :)

If it does, i might go for a set, to let the kids control the heated seats in the rear themselves.

There is a screen upgrade that can be installed in the back, but this sadly lets the kids control way more functions than i would want and they can not be disabled in some secret menu. (Control passenger seat movement, control overall climate control temperature, control car audio volume).

If these buttons could be assigned to this one function, they might be worth considering for this task, and if i have the control box installed, i bet over time i will also want some additional features and thus, additional buttons scattered all over the car :)
Look, if you want to come up with reasons not to get the buttons, that's up to you. This product isn't necessary - most accessories are not. It's about quality of life. If you want to argue the necessity of the product, a Tesla itself is not a necessity; there are a growing number of capable, less expensive EVs coming out that will do the job.

As for some of your questions/observations:

- A recent firmware update restored the previous functionality of the autopilot toggle - I still wish it didn't disengage the cruise control when toggling off.

- One of my main reasons for getting the buttons was for changing regen. I was a brand-new Tesla owner at the time, and I found the full regen jerky at times. It was annoying to me, but passengers sometimes dislike the bucking motion. I'm getting used to it, but sometimes it's nice to "tame the beast" a little for passengers' sake.

- Open trunk and open chargeport sort of work together for me. If I get home from a shopping trip, I back into the garage, hit both buttons, and get out. I grab the charging cable, plug it in, then grab bags/packages out of the cargo area. Necessary? No, but I don't have to dodge the rising liftgate or wait for it to open. I also sometimes need to unlock the chargeport when I leave, since my charger is not a Tesla and doesn't have the "magic button" the Tesla charger has.

- I don't use the glovebox much either, but when I want to open it, it's easier with the button.

_ Yes, the mirrors can be set to fold when the car locks, but if you have it set not to lock at home (as I do), they won't fold. It makes it easier to get around the car in a crowded garage.

As for your specific use case, the buttons CAN be programmed to operate individual seat heat (see attached pics). If you really want to know the full scope, you can check out the website here, or just download the app and take a look at it.
Screenshot_20230415_182245[1].jpg
Screenshot_20230415_182311[1].jpg

Reactions: samori01 and BitJam

I don't believe it is possible to set the heated seats directly to a specific level. The Tesla UI only allow you to cycle through the heat levels, so my guess is that a specific command to set to heat level 2 doesn't exist, and therefore not possible for S3XY button to access. Then again, something like that does exist for the regen braking, so maybe the Enauto team could implement it eventually if those commands exist. Currently the S3XY buttons can only cycle from 3 to off and back to 3 for the rear seat heaters, with corresponding LED flashes (i.e. 3 flashes for level 3 every 10 seconds or so). I've taught my kids (12 and older) how it works and they've been using it fine.