Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S3XY buttons at Abstract Ocean

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh. Well., Darn. That's maybe not so good. I sure look forward to Commander2, but this knob? I'm not sure this is either consistent with their direction or a particularly useful implementation. I know the forum jumps those that criticize pretty quickly, but bear with me. I hope to be cogent and reasonable as I make my case. I ALSO hope I'm wrong. Time will tell.

1) Wow. It's at least twice the size (shall we call it "length"?) I'd expected when Dimitar spoke of the next gen button bar coming. There is no doubt the knob and display required that, but at roughly 2" (SWAG), this thing is going to significantly compromise visibility and access to the storage area. Prolly eliminate access to the rear storage compartment of any "tray" too.

2) The niche, or value statement (IMHO), of S3XY buttons has been "Quick Access to Commands Without Hunting Through The Display". I encourage you to watch the video link MP3Mike was good enough to link for us (nice work sir!). Here's what that demo shows us.
  1. Looking down, rotate through multiple command menus.
  2. Select from one of the 4 buttons
  3. Go back to the knob and rotate to your selected value.
  4. Press down on knob to enter (or return to menu, I guess I'm not clear).
I'm very skeptical this is faster than the OEM, and it requires taking eyes off the road to operate. This seems worse than looking at my present display, (not faster and less safe) and contrary to the value statement (to date) of S3XY.

Back 10-15 pages ago when this first came up (posts 515 and 616) some of us, myself included, had suggested a USB powered console button bar. OK, I admit, we linked to examples but none of us said "that wasn't huge" or "Doesn't have its own multiple page menu system to navigate". OK, my bad.

Now I'm dead certain many of you will buy "Knob" and love it. More, I wish Dimitar and his company all possible success. I can only share that for me "Knob" misses the mark.

@dimitar.ns
Sir, I look forward to the updated commander and future changes to the dashboard as well. For me, and perhaps only me, I was hoping for a USB powered console that gave us smaller buttons (no battery needed now right?) in a not very intrusive console insert. Relative to the existing buttons, I hoped for a more OEM like appearance, all the beautiful function of the present (kinda big) buttons today, and perhaps even greater (maybe 6?) buttons density in a small package. "Knob", for me (and perhaps those that liked the older posts), does not fill that niche. I certainly wish the product, and your team, great success!! However, is there any chance a button bar as I've described same is on the horizon?

My sincere thanks for any time and consideration you may give!

-d

Last edited:
Reactions: Phydeaux and BitJam
Oh. Well., Darn. That's maybe not so good. I sure look forward to Commander2, but this knob? I'm not sure this is either consistent with their direction or a particularly useful implementation. I know the forum jumps those that criticize pretty quickly, but bear with me. I hope to be cogent and reasonable as I make my case. I ALSO hope I'm wrong. Time will tell.

1) Wow. It's at least twice the size (shall we call it "length"?) I'd expected when Dimitar spoke of the next gen button bar coming. There is no doubt the knob and display required that, but at roughly 2" (SWAG), this thing is going to significantly compromise visibility and access to the storage area. Prolly eliminate access to the rear storage compartment of any "tray" too.

2) The niche, or value statement (IMHO), of S3XY buttons has been "Quick Access to Commands Without Hunting Through The Display". I encourage you to watch the video link MP3Mike was good enough to link for us (nice work sir!). Here's what that demo shows us.
  1. Looking down, rotate through multiple command menus.
  2. Select from one of the 4 buttons
  3. Go back to the knob and rotate to your selected value.
  4. Press down on knob to enter (or return to menu, I guess I'm not clear).
I'm very skeptical this is faster than the OEM, and it requires taking eyes off the road to operate. This seems worse than looking at my present display, (not faster and less safe) and contrary to the value statement (to date) of S3XY.

Back 10-15 pages ago when this first came up (posts 515 and 616) some of us, myself included, had suggested a USB powered console button bar. OK, I admit, we linked to examples but none of us said "that wasn't huge" or "Doesn't have its own multiple page menu system to navigate". OK, my bad.

Now I'm dead certain many of you will buy "Knob" and love it. More, I wish Dimitar and his company all possible success. I can only share that for me "Knob" misses the mark.

@dimitar.ns
Sir, I look forward to the updated commander and future changes to the dashboard as well. For me, and perhaps only me, I was hoping for a USB powered console that gave us smaller buttons (no battery needed now right?) in a not very intrusive console insert. Relative to the existing buttons, I hoped for a more OEM like appearance, all the beautiful function of the present (kinda big) buttons today, and perhaps even greater (maybe 6?) buttons density in a small package. "Knob", for me (and perhaps those that liked the older posts), does not fill that niche. I certainly wish the product, and your team, great success!! However, is there any chance a button bar as I've described same is on the horizon?

My sincere thanks for any time and consideration you may give!

-d
First of all thanks for the detailed feedback! We always love to hear the community and feedback from people like you.

1) The size is not that big overall and you are right it comes basically from the knob and display constraints. Of course, it's a subjective opinion and it will be too big for some people but basically, you can still use your storage compartment after installing the knob.

2) Once you understand how the knob works you will see that it will be actually quick, easy, and safe. The idea is to configure it yourself and arrange the buttons how it fits you best. You will remember their location after 1-2 days of using it and won't need to look at the Knob's screen anymore. The Screen is only for convenience when you are not sure but with most features, you won't need it.

You can also use it with only 1 or 2 home pages (instead of 3 as shown in our video), this will reduce the number of shortcuts but it will be easier for navigation etc. and most importantly - it will be up to you. I personally will configure a second page for less frequent functions that I use while charging or in other cases when I'm in Park.

The Knob will have haptic feedback to help you navigate without looking at it. Every time you reach the end of a list, page, or dial you will know that you are at the Max or Min without looking down by feeling a slight vibration.
I'm not trying to make you like the Knob, I just want to explain our design choices so hopefully it makes more sense now.

Currently, we are focused on the knob and the next Gen Commander. Maybe down the road, we will do a smaller version without the display as you described but for now, I cannot promise anything. Have in mind that we will always offer the S3XY Buttons and the Knob is not replacing them, it's just an addition to our portfolio. We have many other cool ideas too but for such a small team like ours they will have to wait, so stay tuned!

Question regarding the commander or commander gen 2. If you have it installed, would a passenger sitting in the back seat be able to use all the functions the knob has through the app instead?
In my experience I can run all functions I use via the app. I can’t confirm for certain that every function works through the app but I haven’t tried any that don’t. I’m hedging because so many functions are available and I don’t use all of them.

One additional caveat: it’s my understanding that only one instance of the app can be paired with the commander at a time. So you can have the app on multiple devices but you can’t simultaneously connect more than one.

HTH

Reactions: chucktaylur
@dimitar.ns

Speaking both for myself and our little community, thank you for sharing more information. Everything helps! It would, as an example, help quite a bit to know the exact dimension of unit in depth and length. I think we all understand it's width :)

Let me follow-up with a few more questions and see if we can all gain a stronger understanding of user interaction planned for knob. I've been tracking for 6 months or so the functions I would use should they be available (I don't believe they all are, at least yet, but hope remains for Commander-2).

Cabin buttons:
  1. Button One
    1. Short = Unlock all doors
    2. Long = Unlock Glovebox
  2. Button Two
    1. Short = AP Nag Reset
    2. Long = Cruise/AP resume (not available to my knowledge, but we can dream)
  3. Button Three
    1. Short = Interior lights toggle
    2. Long = Regen step down 25%.
  4. Button Four
    1. Rear Hatch Open/Close (Yes, I know there is not a toggle today. More wishful thinking)
    2. Battery pre-heat for SC. (is this available? Is that the "beta" battery precondition?)

Hatch Button:
  1. Button 5
    1. Interior lights toggle.
    2. Rear hazard toggle
It's probably obvious, but you may note none of those call for a rotary function. Heck, Tesla has done a pretty good job with the two we have on our steering consoles. However, this isn't to debate w/you, it's to ask questions to better understand your vision/plans (again, thank you!)

Q1) If I understand you correctly, to replicate the above 4 button function using "knob" I would set up two menu's to select from, rotate as needed to select primary or secondary, press the corresponding side button, then:
  1. What does one do to execute a simple command. EG: Open glovebox? Do I just press down on the knob to "enter"? Not like there's a value to set...
  2. AP Nag Reset: This one's a biggie. We all look for a quick way to reflect we're awake. Is there even a one-press answer for that w/Knob?
  3. For a toggle, perhaps interior lights, is this the same "rotate knob to correct menu, press side button, press knob to execute" sequence as above?
Q2) For those that may find the space or use simplicity better met by plain old buttons, may I suggest an new function? Now that tesla allows us to easily select different function for the left scroll wheel we already have, it might be nice to have a button that allowed us to change that function. EG:
Short press = Left Rotary controls - Alternate = Fan Speed
Long Press = Loft Rotary controls - Alternate = Wiper Speed

Once again my sincere thanks for taking time to help us understand the product size and function!

Side note: Some posters, typically those that don't get "S3XY Buttons", often suggest "Just use Voice Commands". To which I can only say "Those folks must not have young kids. Or listen to the stereo, or...."

Warmest Regards,
-d

Last edited:
That is unfortunate as you can see from the messages here - the newer updates Tesla did to the scroll wheel and the Siri voice commands or the notification shortcuts on iOS made most of your features useless, so only the nerdier stuff and older versions of the software are interesting.
We’ll have to agree to disagree. We have the S3XY buttons in both of our Tesla and having gotten used to them we wouldn’t be without them.

Reactions: BitJam
That is unfortunate as you can see from the messages here - the newer updates Tesla did to the scroll wheel and the Siri voice commands or the notification shortcuts on iOS made most of your features useless, so only the nerdier stuff and older versions of the software are interesting.

Don't go putting my thoughts in that bucket. You may notice I've a relatively healthy list of things I would do with buttons if they weren't so large/non-OEM appearing. In fact, there are plenty of others that would add functions for rear seat functionality. Take my list and add rear heated seat controls in the second row as just one example, another interior light switch in the second row would be another. They day ever comes we get an unobtrusive console insert with even 4 buttons I'm an insta-customer.

Reactions: FireFighterHil
All:

With credit to them, I just got an email from Enhance auto on dimensions: Length: 1.6". Roughly 41mm. Pretty much twice what I would accept as unobtrusive. YMMV.

Sadly they did not answer the "depth" guestion. Guess I wish it had a down facing LED in it too.

Oh well, one can hope for the future.

props to all,
-d

All:

With credit to them, I just got an email from Enhance auto on dimensions: Length: 1.6". Roughly 41mm. Pretty much twice what I would accept as unobtrusive.

I'm curious to understand what you find about the knob to be obtrusive. Which dimension is twice more than you would like it?

What gives me pause is the location--if there were cups or bottles in the cup holder, it would greatly hinder the accessibility. This means that when a bottle is in the way, I would need to adjust the way I use the knob and buttons and reach around.

I'm curious to understand what you find about the knob to be obtrusive. Which dimension is twice more than you would like it?

What gives me pause is the location--if there were cups or bottles in the cup holder, it would greatly hinder the accessibility. This means that when a bottle is in the way, I would need to adjust the way I use the knob and buttons and reach around.
I really don’t want to become the guy that’s keeps bitching, so I think this shall be my last negative comment about knob: Depth, at 1.6”, for me, brings access down to a restricted compromise. Something 1/2 to 3/4”, what a button only console could be, would represent much less access restriction to looking for, grabbing, things in the console. Eg: today my CCS adapter is in there. Would I still be able to reach in, close my hand around it, and withdraw? probably not. Nor do I embrace the menu and press/twist/press/press concept.

New products don’t suit everybody. I wish knob great success and prefer to end my concerns on knob there, and with respect to Dimitar and his team.

Reactions: BitJam
@KennethS
Great for you, but for new owners the scroll shortcuts would be enough. Most if not all of the features are no available through some shortcuts in the steering wheel.

The only thing I am missing is real control of the heating as this sucks, even with the S3XY buttons

@dafish

You can get a backscreen Tablet with Android (Video) support and backseat controls for the passengers the price of the Buttons, even less.

{snip] would represent much less access restriction to looking for, grabbing, things in the console. Eg: today my CCS adapter is in there. Would I still be able to reach in, close my hand around it, and withdraw? [snip]

I see your point. For you, it's about blocking access to the storage compartment both in opening and the downward protrusion, which takes up space in the compartment. I guess it's a matter of priority for individuals to decide which utility -- storage or knob -- they want the most.