Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S3XY buttons at Abstract Ocean

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh man. As a former Mazda owner and a fan of at least some physical controls I think this is going to be my first tech accessory.

I had been looking at the buttons in the past, and they're cool, but I couldn't commit. I think this with a couple of add-on buttons could be a sweet combo.

• Love
Reactions: dimitar.ns
I’m (again) contemplating buying the buttons, but have a question because an earlier post was confusing:

Using “recirculate on” and “recirculate off” - can both commands be set to one button… and not have to worry about it cycling between “auto”?

And a second question: does a light on the button indicate if recirc is on or off?

Thanks!

I’m (again) contemplating buying the buttons, but have a question because an earlier post was confusing:

Using “recirculate on” and “recirculate off” - can both commands be set to one button… and not have to worry about it cycling between “auto”?

And a second question: does a light on the button indicate if recirc is on or off?

Thanks!
I tried using a single button programmed for “recirculation toggle” but found it very frustrating because of how Tesla’s “auto” climate settings interfered. I.e., I couldn’t reliably determine what mode it was in due to the car automatically setting recirc to “auto” without me realizing it and interrupting the toggling between on and off. .

So I ended up reprogramming the button to have a single press do “recirc on” and a double press to “recirc off”. That way there’s no confusion.

And, no, I don’t think there’s any light blinking feedback indicating the current recirculation setting.

I tried using a single button programmed for “recirculation toggle” but found it very frustrating because of how Tesla’s “auto” climate settings interfered. I.e., I couldn’t reliably determine what mode it was in due to the car automatically setting recirc to “auto” without me realizing it and interrupting the toggling between on and off. .

So I ended up reprogramming the button to have a single press do “recirc on” and a double press to “recirc off”. That way there’s no confusion.

And, no, I don’t think there’s any light blinking feedback indicating the current recirculation setting.
Thank you, that “single press/double press” sounds like reasonable functionality. Years ago, my e39 BMW (‘01 M5) had a recirc button on the steering wheel. Comes in very handy when you see a smoking jalopy up ahead. Of course I always knew at a glance if recirc was on or off due to the light on the button in the climate control center.

Unless it’s REALLY hot, or poor air quality (wildfires), I prefer to keep the recirc off. Doing this also seems to reduce or eliminate the bad odor that so many people report. So I’m glad you found a way to avoid “auto” being selected.

Add a wishlist: an LED state on the button showing when recirc is “on”.

Unless it’s REALLY hot, or poor air quality (wildfires), I prefer to keep the recirc off. Doing this also seems to reduce or eliminate the bad odor that so many people report. So I’m glad you found a way to avoid “auto” being selected.

Add a wishlist: an LED state on the button showing when recirc is “on”.

Not to mention that CO2 concentrations rise rapidly in the cabin when there is no supply of fresh air, possibly creating a hazard.

Is it possible to use the buttons to emulate the right stalk long press down (adjust autopilot to new speedlimit registered)?
I currently have a button that is set to cruise+1 so I can touch the gas and press that to aknowledge changes, but having a button function would be wonderful.
Also is a button lag of .5 to 2 seconds normal or am I doing somehing wrong?

Is it possible to use the buttons to emulate the right stalk long press down (adjust autopilot to new speedlimit registered)?
I currently have a button that is set to cruise+1 so I can touch the gas and press that to aknowledge changes, but having a button function would be wonderful.
Also is a button lag of .5 to 2 seconds normal or am I doing somehing wrong?
Yeah, the "adjust to new speedlimit" button would be great.

As far as lag goes, the first time you use one of the buttons it has a couple seconds lag, after that first press of the day it has about half a second compared to doing the same function manually. The road that I first take when leaving work has faded lines, so the "autopilot available" indication will only be on for a short time in a few spots on the road, I commonly use the stalk to engage AP in this situation because the short delay could result in not being able to engage AP.

Keith

Finally had a battery die!

I am not sure when I purchased my S3XY buttons (I can probably find out by searching this thread) but the button I have set up for AP gets used several times a day, and the battery finally gave out on it. Apparently, it is a CR2032 battery and pretty easy to replace... we will see!

Later,

Keith

<edit> Found my order email for the buttons, 4/24/22, so I have had them for almost 1.5 years. </edit>

Last edited:
Not sure if you're aware but a single tap on the speed limit sign on the screen adjusts cruise / AP to the new speed limit. I get it if you prefer a physical control for this, just thought I'd point it out.
There already is a physical control for this. Hold down the right stalk (in the US) for a second or so to set the max speed to the current speed limit.

Changing the Set Speed

Roll the right scroll wheel up to increase, or down to decrease, the set speed.
You can also change the cruising speed to the current speed limit (including any offset you've specified), by either:
  • Pushing the drive stalk downward and briefly holding.
  • Touching and briefly holding the speed limit sign on the touchscreen until you see the cruising speed change.

I'm aware. The poster @ozorgnax a couple of posts above mine was looking for an alternate action specifically to avoid the stalk long-press. And the poster above me was also looking for a new speed limit button. I was advising of built in screen alternative to the stalk long press they already knew about,

Reactions: BitJam
@dimitar.ns

Sir, way back on post #525 when I had suggested:

1701148952508.png

You had replied:

1701148966296.png

Obviously “Knob” and the new “Commander” have been significant undertakings, and as always congratulations! May I impose and ask:

1. Do you have an ETA for the new commander version?
  2. Do you still anticipate a smart action that reduces regen based on ambient temperature (request #1 above) Perhaps a user configurable reducttion amount at +1C that returns to normal when outside temp recovers?
  3. The website implies the updated smart actions will come at an extra charge. Do I read that correctly?
  4. Do you still expect to deliver an improved Dashboard with items #2 and #3 included, and if so, any thoughts on when that might be?

My thanks, and best wishes!!

-d

Reactions: jebinc
Interesting observation about the "ALL Interior Lights ON" function...

I was confused since I had seen lots of people describe this function as "ON/OFF" even though the app only says "ON", so I did a quick test.

When the car is in drive/reverse and the interior lights are off, the button will in fact turn the light both on AND off.

But after shifting into Park and the intertior lights automatically turn on by themselves, the button is NOT able to turn them off. (Altough, presumably if you wait long enough for the lights to time out and turn off on their own, then the button will work again, but I didn't want to wait that long to test it.)

And if you hit the button once anyway while in Park with the lights on and then later shift back into Drive/Reverse, the car/commander/whatever "remembers" that button press and keeps the lights on instead of automatically turning them back off like it normally would when shifting out of Park and into gear.

Reactions: BitJam
I just purchased the S3XY buttons from AO, and they are working fine with my 2018 M3.

I downloaded the TESLAX app for iOS, and enabled “scan my Tesla support.” My iPhone is connected to the “S3XY_OBD” wifi. When I try to connect TESLAX accessories to “Panda,” as instructed, it is stuck in “connnecting to accessory” and never connects.

I tried “connect to wifi” (instead of Panda) with the same result. I rebooted the apps, same result. I disconnected the OBD commander, reconnected, re-enabled scan my Tesla support. Same result.

Any ideas how to get TESLAX working with the S3XY commander?

Thanks,

GSP

I just purchased the S3XY buttons from AO, and they are working fine with my 2018 M3.

I downloaded the TESLAX app for iOS, and enabled “scan my Tesla support.” My iPhone is connected to the “S3XY_OBD” wifi. When I try to connect TESLAX accessories to “Panda,” as instructed, it is stuck in “connnecting to accessory” and never connects.

I tried “connect to wifi” (instead of Panda) with the same result. I rebooted the apps, same result. I disconnected the OBD commander, reconnected, re-enabled scan my Tesla support. Same result.

Thanks,

GSP
Same issue for me.

Thanks,

GSP
I purchased the Scan my Tesla iPhone app, and it connected to the S3XY commander. It is displaying data and working fine!(although I do wish the display format was the same as the Android version)

So it seems the problem is with the TesLAX app or its settings. The S3XY commander wifi/Panda connection is working correctly.

GSP

@Jones1

Reactions: Jones1
I purchased the Scan my Tesla iPhone app, and it connected to the S3XY commander. It is displaying data and working fine!(although I do wish the display format was the same as the Android version)

So it seems the problem is with the TesLAX app or its settings. The S3XY commander wifi/Panda connection is working correctly.

GSP

@Jones1
Thanks. I only tried it with TesLax. I will try Scan my Tesla later this week

GSP

@Jones1
Scan My Tesla is working

• Informative
Reactions: GSP