Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S60 - 210 miles stated vs actual charge after charge is 205

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a new 60D owner. (got mine 6 days ago)
When I picked it up from the Service Center, it had (I think) 218 rated miles with a full charge.
I've charged to full 3 times. once with a trickle charger, the other 2 times with an SC.
I got 215 miles each time.

For what it's worth: My electric company hasn't hooked up my Nema 14-50 service yet.
My original plan was to just trickle charge over night. it worked the first night, but now no longer works. It just keeps getting interrupted for some reason.

thus: I'm going to the SC every 2-3 days to Supercharge until my home electric is hooked up.
You can drop the charge current an amp or two. Should keep from interrupting the charge.

Should get the outlet checked.

Thanks!

I tried going down to 8 and 6amp without success. I tried 3 different receptacles.
I think it's just an old garage with old wiring and circuit.

In theory xcel energy is hooking my garage up to the 200 amp service I had installed last month. anytime now....

Until then luckily there is a 6 kWh charge point charger 1 door down from my work that only costs $1 per hour.

It's sad because a trickle charge is all I need for daily driving. It was going to be so cool to just use an ordinary socket until my 200 amp is connected

Oh well...

Wow, that's really good. My 2014 60 usually reads 284km at 90%. It has over 85k kms on it though so maybe that's why. Also, it's a previous service loaner, so maybe it was charged to 100% often too.

I'm not sure if my readings are correct though since I was referring to the 'ideal' range rather than 'rated' range. My rated range at 90% is only around 260 - 270km. If yours is 'rated' then mine looks pretty poor. But I'm not sure if or how much climate is taken into consideration with the range and power consumption.

I cannot easily achieve my rated range. If I avoid the throttle and brakes, and never take it over 90km/h, then I can get around the rated estimate. Driving at 70-80 significantly increases my range while driving over 100 seems to really decrease my range. With that in mind, I live in Lithuania where it has been hovering around freezing (since I bought it 11 days ago!) and it's been snowing/raining and the roads are wet and slippery and there is a fair amount of wind. I kind of expect that my energy consumption will be higher than expected.

But I'm still very unclear how the 'rated' range works. Is it based on the car's average or some other estimate? Does the rated range in winter go down or does it not really take that into account and you just need to assume less range?

I'm not sure if my readings are correct though since I was referring to the 'ideal' range rather than 'rated' range. My rated range at 90% is only around 260 - 270km. If yours is 'rated' then mine looks pretty poor. But I'm not sure if or how much climate is taken into consideration with the range and power consumption.

I cannot easily achieve my rated range. If I avoid the throttle and brakes, and never take it over 90km/h, then I can get around the rated estimate. Driving at 70-80 significantly increases my range while driving over 100 seems to really decrease my range. With that in mind, I live in Lithuania where it has been hovering around freezing (since I bought it 11 days ago!) and it's been snowing/raining and the roads are wet and slippery and there is a fair amount of wind. I kind of expect that my energy consumption will be higher than expected.

But I'm still very unclear how the 'rated' range works. Is it based on the car's average or some other estimate? Does the rated range in winter go down or does it not really take that into account and you just need to assume less range?
Yes I'm at 284km rated at 90%, summer and winter.
I think rated is based on the current battery capacity, divided by EPA rated range efficiency, which I think is 178wh/km, on a rwd 60.

Yes I'm at 284km rated at 90%, summer and winter.
I think rated is based on the current battery capacity, divided by EPA rated range efficiency, which I think is 178wh/km, on a rwd 60.

Well that is rather upsetting for me then. I did a 90% charge this morning and the rated range was only 255km :(

The rated wh/km is supposed to be 188, suggesting a full charge capacity of only 53.26kw. If my calculations are correct, it means I've lost more than 10% of my battery.

I was kind of hoping that the reduced range was reflecting the colder weather. Anyone else lose 10% of capacity? My car is an April 2014 version, so its less than 3 years.

Well that is rather upsetting for me then. I did a 90% charge this morning and the rated range was only 255km :(

The rated wh/km is supposed to be 188, suggesting a full charge capacity of only 53.26kw. If my calculations are correct, it means I've lost more than 10% of my battery.

I was kind of hoping that the reduced range was reflecting the colder weather. Anyone else lose 10% of capacity? My car is an April 2014 version, so its less than 3 years.
No, there is part of the battery at the top and bottom of charge range that is not available, to protect the battery.

Rated range is the range on the EPA test cycle.

Then what is the 'ideal' range.

No, there is part of the battery at the top and bottom of charge range that is not available, to protect the battery.

Anyone know what this 'reserve' level is (approximately)? 255km @ 90% seems rather low compared to what others get, and realistically it's only achievable driving very slowly.

Pretty sure it's 178 on the 60 rwd, cause if I'm looking at the energy screen and I get the avg to 178, projected range matches my range shown on the dash.
Ideal, is better than EPA. Smooth flat roads, 18C, no wind, cruising at 80 or 90km/hr. Never use ideal for any type of range estimate.

Pretty sure it's 178 on the 60 rwd, cause if I'm looking at the energy screen and I get the avg to 178, projected range matches my range shown on the dash.
Ideal, is better than EPA. Smooth flat roads, 18C, no wind, cruising at 80 or 90km/hr. Never use ideal for any type of range estimate.

My rated wh/km is definitely 188. That suggests my range would automatically be 5% higher (or around 15km) if using your rate.

Perhaps location/temperatures affect the rate?