Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S75D inventory purchase or custom order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry - the possibility that the current 75 kwhr battery will later be able to be software-unlocked (for a fee of course) to a higher usable capacity. Tesla seems to be shipping 85 kwhr batteries now and limiting them to 75 kwhr in the 75 and 75D. This is a very recent development (just last week or two I think).
We know for sure now that Tesla is shipping 85kWh locked batteries as 75s now? I saw a few threads but didn't know if anyone measured for sure.

Hi Eric,

I'm trying to validate if a better deal exists on an inventory car. Currently I have a deposit on a S75 RWD, PUP, pano roof, midnight silver, premium interior with carbon fiber, and sub zero. Price is $77k before fed rebate. Shipping was waived. I'm trying to see if I can find the same car just with dual driver and upgraded stereo for a few $k more. Searching the inventory sites are crazy. Do you see any other good options?

Thanks! View attachment 238848
Man, the inconsistency with the shipping being waived is starting to irk me. I know they need to make money, but this is just not cool. I even read someone got their shipping and destination and doc fee waived.

We know for sure now that Tesla is shipping 85kWh locked batteries as 75s now?
Only in parts of Europe. I don't think we've seen any BTX8 batteries in the US.

By the way, it would be a fascinating and insightful discussion with Tesla to try and get an inventory 75D performance unlocked, especially one that was produced before June 15th. I bet it could be done.

Last edited:
I opted for a custom order S75D vs new inventory...delivery late Aug or early Sept. There are two main reasons.

1. New drivetrain, faster, better.
2. Air suspension standard!

Other perks included getting the interior trim just how I want. Also...with all the quick changes Tesla seems to be making...I just want the latest edition I can get my hands on...even if for a few extra bucks.

I opted for a custom order because of the subtle unknowns of inventory vehicles. At least on Tesla's site, inventory vehicles are listed as "showroom" models with <100 to >500 miles. This suggests to me these cars are from their demo fleet. As such, how many people have sat in these cars, what accidents (think drinks, food, etc.) have occurred in these cars, how have prospective buyers driven these cars, etc. Even though the mileage is relatively low, you would imagine lots have happened with(in) these cars.

On top of that, I ordered right after the drivetrain upgrade and premium pkg, now standard + air suspension switches so I feel like I got a lot more value than the inventory cars.

That's my reasoning at least.

Just joined. I purchased a 75D this Saturday, 9/2. Picked an inventory vehicle that was still at the factory and had just been added to the available inventory list the same day. End of manufacturing was 8/28. It had just the options and color that I was looking for and on top of that they had a showroom discount of $1500 so I pushed the "buy" button. I wasn't sure if this had the AP 2.5 but after I had received my spec sheet and looked up the codes I had indeed received one with code "APH3". AKA autopilot 2.5. For those that want a point of reference my VIN is 2152XX. So going forward any new inventory vehicle with a higher VIN should have the latest and greatest. At least for the moment as I am clearly beginning to understand that change is a constant at Tesla.

I am about two weeks out or less on delivery and so excited to finally join "The Family" :)

• Informative
Reactions: DIL
I pulled the trigger on a custom order recently, due in a month or so. I liked the fact that the AP2.5 hardware was part of the sale, the "smart" air suspension was now "standard" and, in my case, I did not find an all glass roof vehicle with the options I wanted (mostly exterior color). One other thing that I couldn't pass up was the cream interior with light headliner. All the bright colors keep me feeling good!
In any case, I hope you enjoy your new ride. :)

I picked up my car Friday 9/8 just 6 days after ordering! Delivery experience overall was great. My wife discovered that the right bumper edge as it meets up with the fender had a rough edge of clear-coat (more like missing). They marked that as something they would fix. She also commented how difficult the cream carpet would be to keep clean and the DS mentioned that he noticed some cars came with black floor mats even though mine came with the cream. He disappeared for a few minutes to talk with his service personnel about this and they brought back a set of black floor mats to go with my cream mats. No cost! I wonder if others getting this bonus also.

On the second day I drove the car it rained a little and I had to use the wipers. I noticed that the un-swept area on the drivers side is quite wide. I measured 3.25" from the point where the wiper stops and the black surround of the glass when I got home. Is this normal? This is pretty annoying and is going to drive me nuts if I can't get that fixed. I rains a lot in Seattle so I hope this can be adjusted. One other fix that I noticed after delivery was the passenger rear door handle retracts too far in compared to the others. It's almost in past the thickness of the door sheet metal.

I also noticed on some forum threads that some people were receiving a key fob holder. All I got with mine was a sting lanyard :(. This is one thing that just seem down right cheap. The key fob itself feels unsubstantial because it is so light and doesn't even have a metal loop to add other keys although my wife though it was cute because it was a "minnie me" of my Model S.

Driving experience has been over the top and I am thrilled to have this wonderful machine and am still trying to figure out all that it can do!

I just had the minor fixes done on Friday so everything is about as perfect as it's going to be for the moment. They were able to move the wiper blade position slightly so there's a bit more swept area and they fixed a door handle that was retracting too far in. Another problem that popped up was an inner wheel liner had two retaining clips missing causing it to rub against the tire.

They didn't have key fob holders in stock so I will probably just order an aftermarket one. Seems to be a good variety to choose from.

Krash, I feel for you not getting the performance boost since you just missed it by the thinnest of margins. Considering you already have the DU00 Drive unit that just seems ridiculous that they just wouldn't upgrade your car. I could understand as a business case though that they wouldn't want to upgrade everyone's since it sounds like it needs a firmware upgrade to the drive unit that can't be done OTA and requires an hour at the SC.

...just seems ridiculous that they just wouldn't upgrade your car. I could understand as a business case though that they wouldn't want to upgrade everyone's since it sounds like it needs a firmware upgrade to the drive unit that can't be done OTA and requires an hour at the SC.
I think the best argument I have is that I ordered the car for July delivery when they might have unlocked it. It is hard to know whether inventory, CPO or other cars with the new drive unit built before June 19th have been unlocked, since you can't tell the manufacturing date from the option codes, so I don't know for sure. I think my case is so rare that it plays in my favor. It wouldn't be like they set a precedent if they unlocked my car. There probably aren't any others in exactly my situation.

Rocklin store had about a dozen inventory cars today which is new for that store. Multiple with the new cream interior which looks really good, IMO much better than the old tan color. A couple I checked were curiously not in the Tesla inventory on the web.