Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sad about Plaid? Attention past or present Porsche 911 Owners!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great reply, thank you very much. We've been loaned a few Taycans, and she loved the attention the car brought, said the range was fine, and really wanted the Porsche, but I decided on the Plaid. I couldn't stomach getting a '21 car with less range than our 2015, with a lot less features as well. I like all the tech features, the available upgrades (EAP, FSD etc) and the big touchscreen control is so straightforward it's ridiculous. The buttons and interface on the Taycan...did you guys ever get used to them? The charging network felt so 2015 as well. One DC charger up in Barrie, couldn't find any in Peterborough (I'm sure they're there somewhere!), not much in Collingwood.

I must admit feel a little relieved you traded the Taycan in on the Plaid. I was having buyer's remorse a few days after getting the Plaid, and wondered if I should have gotten the Porsche. But as time goes on, and the more we drive it, the more I want to drive it and the more I like it. Met a friend for a coffee last night, and choose a place 20km out of my way as it was a favourite place of mine, and I love driving the car so much. I stepped on it on the highway for the first time...it's difficult to describe how hard the car accelerates at speed! I went from 100km/h to, well, I'm not going to say, but I was shocked! It disabled AP for the trip (oops, forgot to disengage) until I could put it into park in some stop and go way down the road. AP is AMAZING for HW stop and go, a game charger for me. It feels somehow power limited to control wheelspin up to 100km/h then it opens up and launches like it's going to fly off the road, it's unbelievable! Very hard to put into words...

I hear you on the 911, that's the car we're considering as well. What's with those dash mounted cup holders that pop out above the glove box? Or is that just the 2018? We drove through a Starbucks looking for a place to put our drinks....where's the cup holders?! Maybe they're in the back?! Hahaha but seriously driving thar car around, felt really nice. Maybe the top down aspect and more of a connection to those around you, they can make eye contact, and let us in, several times, like Moses parting the Red Sea. :)
Got to this thread a little late.

Physics is physics. 3,500 lbs, 40/60 weight distribution, ~300 horsepower, 0 to 60 in 4.9. That is either a mid 90's 993 Carrera S or a 2019 Model 3 SR+

No, the Tesla has nothing like the 993's steering feel or engine noises. It does have autopilot, instant torque, and most importantly ** about the same weight, weight distribution and power.**

What many in the Tesla performance community (if such a thing exists) are missing is WEIGHT matters. All rear wheel drive cars steer and handle better than all wheel drive cars. Having a more pure helm and perfectly variable torque output allow me to balance the Model 3 SR+ (the old one with the lighter battery pack) into lift throttle oversteer and the true fun of what ripping a 911 is all about on the right road.

Really, try the cheap one :cool:

• Love
Reactions: easyev
I have a model Y performance. Great car and our daily driver. I have also had 3 911’s over the last 12 years. Currently hav a 2013 911S cab. I bought all 3 used and had zero depreciation When the first two were sold. Maintenance, knock on wood has been a 220 dollar oil change once a year. All in all the 3 cheapest cars I have ever owned. They are not daily drivers but when the sun is out there is nothing like a Manual 911 cab on great roads. I live in eastern NC and we have a lot of great roads!

Any 911 owners out there that want to talk about their experience in this iconic car? I’m an older guy, almost 60, love hassle free performance and I embrace technology. So naturally, I went from 2015 P85DL+ (0-60 2.7 1/4 10.9) to a 22 Plaid. It’s a great car, it really is. I love to drive it, can’t get enough of it, and deliberately take detours and even double back on road trips to spend extra time in it.

But I got thinking. My wife’s Hybrid needs replacing and I’m looking at a Y. It’s in my other thread Considering a Y, have some Q’s. (sorry that’s not the root link of the conversation) Anyways, i’m going end up with that, and have 2 EVs to drive. Nothing wrong with that, but what am I missing out on, if anything?

My wife and I drove a 2018 Porsche 911 S4 cabriolet on the weekend, and wow, it was nice! I don’t know if it’s the top down make eye contact with the driver, the changes how people treat you, but one yelled out @NICE Porsche!” Numerous people let us in that wouldn’t normally. We felt really special in the car, and the attention was kind of nice.

So my question is:

Did I make a mistake buying the Plaid, and should I have gotten a 911 that’s just going to go UP in price. Then enjoy the technology of the new Y has to offer and give up on the crazy Plaid performance that I really don’t use much anyway. It’s more bragging rights but not even that it’s just nice to know “she goes.” 😊 if money were no object I’d get a 911 Turbo S in frozen grey / modegrau / Fashion grey…omg what a car!

My wife really dislikes gas cars, (God I love this woman lol) and wants to go all EV. I get it, but what am I missing out on the 911? The EV version will be 2030? Maybe? Who knows with Porsche! So slow to move on anything.

Kind of kicking myself I didn’t buy a 2008 roadster for $90,000 when I had the chance. They are 250+ US if you could even find one

Anyway, I’m getting sidetracked here but that’s my question in bold above.

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the replies and kind words I really feel at home here with you Tesla guys, you’re my boys! 🙌
Too late, unless you want to take a cold bath on the Plaid. Mine is now selling for 50% of what I paid.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ and easyev
Don't you guys think that EM will raise prices again on the S and X come beginning of 24, or at least that he's done with the price cuts?

He's been playing market share destruction the last few months but they're priced so much lower than the competition at the higher segment of the market that I have a sense that $90k may be the floor on an MSP cause there's no real need to for him to go cheaper accomplish what he wanted, and that msrp prices will go back up from here, at least for a while. If so that should help the used market stabilize. It's obviously too late for those that bought in the last couple of years at much higher prices, but I'm thinking at $90k you have a lot more downside protection.

I don't mind depreciation as long as the thing is fun to drive. :)

As far as the thread topic ... I am a past and current 911 owner and it never occurred to me to cross shop these cars. Each obviously bring a completely a completely different experience.

Never owned, driven, or even ridden in a 911, but I think the difference between a manually-shifted ICE vehicle and basically any EV is that you have to work for the rewards with even a fast ICE car. In the plaid, just stab the go pedal and you instantly shoot forward. It's like having the cheat code permanently enabled in a racing game. This is initially incredibly fun as you can now conquer any other car with no effort and take great satisfaction in wielding that kind of power with only your right foot, but when it's all but a given, the shine eventually wears off. Besides, everyone now knows the Model S is fast, so the opportunities to actually make use of that power against someone who is attempting to give you a run for your money are pretty slim. Heck, the other day a V10 R8 wouldn't even look over at me while at a stoplight with a lot of open road ahead of us.

Similarly, I had several fast motorcycles over the past 10 years, but a couple years ago I sold all of them, only keeping my hot rodded 11hp 125cc Honda Monkey. You have to work for every mph on that bike, but it's still the most fun.

Never owned, driven, or even ridden in a 911, but I think the difference between a manually-shifted ICE vehicle and basically any EV is that you have to work for the rewards with even a fast ICE car. In the plaid, just stab the go pedal and you instantly shoot forward. It's like having the cheat code permanently enabled in a racing game. This is initially incredibly fun as you can now conquer any other car with no effort and take great satisfaction in wielding that kind of power with only your right foot, but when it's all but a given, the shine eventually wears off. Besides, everyone now knows the Model S is fast, so the opportunities to actually make use of that power against someone who is attempting to give you a run for your money are pretty slim. Heck, the other day a V10 R8 wouldn't even look over at me while at a stoplight with a lot of open road ahead of us.

Similarly, I had several fast motorcycles over the past 10 years, but a couple years ago I sold all of them, only keeping my hot rodded 11hp 125cc Honda Monkey. You have to work for every mph on that bike, but it's still the most fun.
Funny, I have a fleet of Honda Ruskus’ and Metropolitans…

• Love
Reactions: beatle
I’ve test driven a Panamera in downtown Toronto. I never forgot how the suspension buttons completely changed the car from Cadillac to a race car feel. It was amazing amazing.

I tried a 2004 911 Turbo that was heavily modified, so fast I’ll never forget that car, or all the check engine lights!

Was out for a nice drive in my friend’s 2018 911 Cab 4s, yellow, With yellow accented bits inside the car. What a beautiful car. Smooth, great sounding and so comfortable. Not as fast as I thought it would be but I owned a 2015 P85DL+ at the time.

Finally I drove a black 911 Cab with my wife, I think I mentioned it in the original post…what a beautiful car. Turned heads, ppl actually let us in turning into traffic, and some guy yelled “nice Porsche!” at us. We felt like celebrities driving that car, it was really nice!

Reactions: jebinc
Don't you guys think that EM will raise prices again on the S and X come beginning of 24, or at least that he's done with the price cuts?

He's been playing market share destruction the last few months but they're priced so much lower than the competition at the higher segment of the market that I have a sense that $90k may be the floor on an MSP cause there's no real need to for him to go cheaper accomplish what he wanted, and that msrp prices will go back up from here, at least for a while. If so that should help the used market stabilize. It's obviously too late for those that bought in the last couple of years at much higher prices, but I'm thinking at $90k you have a lot more downside protection.

I don't mind depreciation as long as the thing is fun to drive. :)

As far as the thread topic ... I am a past and current 911 owner and it never occurred to me to cross shop these cars. Each obviously bring a completely a completely different experience.
I hope they go back up, but keep mine It probably won’t matter. A different experience sums it up well. It’s hard to explain how great a 911 feels until you drive one, then you can’t get it out of your mind! There is a reason Bill Gates is a Porsche fan and Musk owns a 911!

IMG_0014.jpeg
Good question! We were loaned a beautiful frost gray 4s loaded with all the options. Was a demo specs to impress and sell options. My wife and I loved it, it never felt too slow, handled really well, had great brakes, an annoying computer and touch screens, and a wonderful electric sound that made people smile if you crept up the slow speeds. I got stuck on the low range and the nonstandard charging connecter, and they sold the car a day before I could commit to the deal! My top consideration was this red Turbo S!
IMG_6785.jpeg

Don't buy a Taycan. Poor range, and the charging network sucks. As for a 911, I've owned two, and I miss them. I had a 2014 and 2017 Cab, then made the mistake of trading in for the Taycan. That was a beautiful car and drove like a Porsche. But the service guys had no idea how to service and the range.... Got pissed at Porsche and traded in on a 2023 Plaid. The Plaid is fast and makes me smile every time I step on the pedal, but the drive is pretty sterile (as compared to Porsche). I've been thinking of adding a second car to the stable, and it would be a used 911.

• Informative
Don't buy a Taycan. Poor range, and the charging network sucks. As for a 911, I've owned two, and I miss them. I had a 2014 and 2017 Cab, then made the mistake of trading in for the Taycan. That was a beautiful car and drove like a Porsche. But the service guys had no idea how to service and the range.... Got pissed at Porsche and traded in on a 2023 Plaid. The Plaid is fast and makes me smile every time I step on the pedal, but the drive is pretty sterile (as compared to Porsche). I've been thinking of adding a second car to the stable, and it would be a used 911.
As much as I’ve strongly considered a Taycan I really think you have to buy the best product each manufacturer offers. For Porsche that’s the 911 and for Tesla it’s the S.

As much as I’ve strongly considered a Taycan I really think you have to buy the best product each manufacturer offers. For Porsche that’s the 911 and for Tesla it’s the S.
“Best,” being a subjective word…. Fastest, Plaid. Sure. Best all around, probably the Model Y. MYP, if you must have extra speed. I have both and a Rivian RT1 - which I would say is the best truck, all around. Speed wise, it only does 0-60 is 3s, however.

...Fastest, Plaid. Sure. Best all around, probably the Model Y. MYP, if you must have extra speed...
I don't know. We've had an MYP for three years and I love the agility, but I've grown tired of all the noise, the lack of acceleration above 45mph and it's especially a dog at lower states of charge. But the horrible crashing ride, which I tried to solve by retrofitting the newer '23 springs and dampers, is still very bad. We've ordered a plaid for these reasons.

Got to this thread a little late.

Physics is physics. 3,500 lbs, 40/60 weight distribution, ~300 horsepower, 0 to 60 in 4.9. That is either a mid 90's 993 Carrera S or a 2019 Model 3 SR+

No, the Tesla has nothing like the 993's steering feel or engine noises. It does have autopilot, instant torque, and most importantly ** about the same weight, weight distribution and power.**

What many in the Tesla performance community (if such a thing exists) are missing is WEIGHT matters. All rear wheel drive cars steer and handle better than all wheel drive cars. Having a more pure helm and perfectly variable torque output allow me to balance the Model 3 SR+ (the old one with the lighter battery pack) into lift throttle oversteer and the true fun of what ripping a 911 is all about on the right road.

Really, try the cheap one :cool:
I don't know about a 3500lb 993, maybe with three of your closest, most-foldable friends in it - but at least you can have a 6-pack of SR+'s for the cost of one reasonably good condition non-turbo 993 lol

But I agree about the dynamics of the original SR+. It's what ultimately sold me on Tesla as a Real Thing, after sampling an S85 (drove like the most somnulent trim of E-class) and a 3 Dual Motor (ok but why can't I adjust my line mid-corner with 400+hp?).

When I drove the whole lineup in 2020 before ordering what is probably the worst-driving Tesla (X LR+ 7-seater on 20's!), the SR+ was the standout as a sports sedan. Reminded me in all the best ways of how the early-2000's BMW's drove. You don't need zero body roll and low-profile tires to have a good time in a car. Nothing tugging on the front wheels, reasonably light weight for what it is, and more weight over the driven rear wheels is undefeated

• Informative