Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 model S, purchased TSLA insurance 10 days ago, and reside in a North Texas metro. I am enrolled in Tesla insurance with Safety Score 2.0, with a current score of 92, and a zero accident history.

All of this context because I believe the safety score calibration is wrong, as I am getting many HARD BRAKING and UNSAFE FOLLOWING (sometimes with Autopilot engaged...on the unsafe following). The hard braking sensitivity is ridiculous! You pretty much cannot use the brake or get dinged for hard braking. You would think that the allowable deceleration rate of braking would be in-line with the deceleration rate from regenerative braking. This is supposed to be about insurance risk management...there is a big difference between using the brake and slamming on the brake. The former is part of safe driving and the latter is a sign of high risk activity.

I called into customer service for Tesla insurance and there is NO process or path to investigate safety score issues. Also, the rep knowledge of how the scoring works was limited. I understand the growing pains of a new service; so, constructively, they need to have some kind of backoffice process that can investigate and resolve issues, even if the resolution time is ~30 days. Right now, customer service reps cannot do anything when it comes to safety score issues, and TESLA insurance is highly dependent upon safety scoring. Also, the calibration of hard braking and unsafe following need to be looked at, analytically. I don't believe anyone who actually drives the vehicle would agree with the safety score calibrations. The reps don't seem to have hands-on operating experience with the safety scoring, so it might be a good idea, as part of their training, to include driving sessions to experience the service.

I'm likely to switch out of TSLA insurance soon because of this issue. Hope this is informative to other members of the community, and constructive to anyone at Tesla insurance in a position to address this.

You're expected to use regen braking for the most part rather than actually stepping on the brakes. I barely step on brakes when driving and when I do use them, those are true hard braking (regen wouldn't be able to stop in time).

For me, the forward collision warning is way too sensitive, and that negatively affects my score. I do manage to average between 95-98, so not a huge deal.

Reactions: bhzmark
There are no calibrations for SS nor anyway s to dispute, the rules for following too close, hard braking and others are cut and dry. If you are in the metroplex, there is no way to keep more than 3 seconds distances above 50 mph on highway. If you use AP then it won't be counted though .. I got a FCW few weeks back when one car cut in front of me, I didn't slow down since it is still safe. It used to when you get a bad score, you can drive in AP to raise the score (lots of miles and electricity) but now only manual drives are counted. For me, if it is not 3-4 times cheaper for the same coverage than others, I will drop it like flies. I am still concerned about the underwriter redpoint in Austin, which has the worst reviews in the industry.

Reactions: KuramaKitsune
Curious, anyone have any idea what would cause this to happen? One day (two days ago) my score tanked one day due to forward collision warning, doesn't 97 avg mean it was basically the whole trip or am I misunderstanding? I don't even recall the car giving me a collision warning that day, just drove 2-3 miles down the road to drop off a package at UPS and pick up food and have the trip saved in my Google Timeline. Ironically, my car lost connectivity during that trip as well, and my phone app hasn't updated since then despite the car being in my garage on WIFI. I'm thinking maybe this is a bug due to lack of connectivity to report the data?

IMG_4499.PNG

IMG_4498.PNG

FCW is very clear and you won’t miss it. You can select trips for the day and find out which trip and the trip view (at the bottom) to know the exact timing of the strike. The car keeps tracks of the incident and whether it has connectivity shouldn’t matter, eventually it will sync up the data.

Has anyone notice drastic changes in your Safety Scores after the latest software update?! I have received far more “forward collision” warnings since then and in about 10 days since the upgrade, my score fell from 95 to 87!!

I drive 2.7 mi to work
My total commute monthly is probably less than a hundred miles
They're charging me $210 a month
I'm using an annualized rate of 5-6K miles and safety score of 97 in North Texas, single driver and clean record...$145+. 2018 model S. ridiculous. and I have to drive like a librarian (no offense to librarians) in a metroplex or my score plummets for normal metro driving. But switching is worse $, so I'm stuck too. In case you were wondering why the tesla insurance take rates aren't higher...

Reactions: KuramaKitsune
I set the FCW to late now, there are couple of spots in town that I frequented is very prone to FCW, not sure why - it is a straight and almost leveled road. This seems to help, one second of FCW (not really in any danger) can set me back few points and it will take couple of hundred miles manual driving to bring it back.

I'm using an annualized rate of 5-6K miles and safety score of 97 in North Texas, single driver and clean record...$145+. 2018 model S. ridiculous. and I have to drive like a librarian (no offense to librarians) in a metroplex or my score plummets for normal metro driving. But switching is worse $, so I'm stuck too. In case you were wondering why the tesla insurance take rates aren't higher...
Yeah bro I feel it this is stupid.
*Downtown Houston

I'm about to just go save $820 a month and get rid of the damn car

Has anyone notice drastic changes in your Safety Scores after the latest software update?! I have received far more “forward collision” warnings since then and in about 10 days since the upgrade, my score fell from 95 to 87!!
I get them from parked vehicles that are parked in my driveway when I pull up to park.
Check your state's laws regarding use of Telematics. There is usually an appeal process required. I bought a dashcam to document everything because the Tesla Dashcam retains a short time and you dont always know when events occur.

I can concur that the hard braking does in fact get set off with just regen braking. Which, IMO, is stupid.

According to Tesla’s website, hard braking is 0.3 g’s. Which, IMO, is lame.

According to physics, that means Tesla considers hard braking to be around 6.7. MPH/s.

According to my first grade teacher, 38 x 6.7 = 254.6 MPH.

Which means this hard braking ding, is BULL *sugar*!

Attachments

• IMG_0409.jpeg
    IMG_0409.jpeg
    133.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Informative
Reactions: MitchMitch
try to use autopilot or Traffic-Aware Cruise Control, should help avoid most of the forward collision warnings.
I do, but you can't use AP reliably on local roads. Have also experience 2 phantom FCWs in the last 2 weeks. Nothing anywhere in front of me. And the support option to contest it?? nonexistent. Fortunately, SS still 99, but the way the scoring and insurance pricing work leads me to drive more unsafe and overly cautious.