Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score for Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sunday I decided to go to Burger King in town for lunch. Leisurely drive through the countryside to town and BK is on the edge of town. But had around 20 vehicles in front of us and they were moving a little slow, so spent around 45 minutes holding and creeping in line to get our order. Went next door to a business that was closed, but had a nice canopy to park under to eat, (there was another car parked under the canopy around 50 feet away). Another leisurely drive through the countryside home.

Got home and looked at my safety score - had been 100, now dropped to 99 and of course my insurance goes up $5, because it says "Unsafe following 60% of the time". I keep seeing all the experts testifying that the safety score doesn't score you for following to closely until you are doing 50 mph or more. That certainly isn't true for my MYLR. I WAS NOT WITHIN A HALF MILE OF ANOTHER, VEHICLE, except for waiting in line at BK and I can assure you I was not in TACC, NOAP, while I was in line, but was on NOAP on the trip to town and back. So it cost me an extra $5 to wait in line. Next time, I'll just park and go in and order and see if it dings me for unsafe following while it is parked?

I have spent the last 4 years with an insurance nanny in my car to get cheaper insurance and have maintained a 100 safety score with them with no problem. Their detection systems seemed to work correctly, but I couldn't stay with them because the ODBCII port on the Tesla is non standard and their nanny won't fit it. Ouch!

The unsafe-following is only supposed to apply when you're moving above something like 20 MPH, so the BK line shouldn't have been included...