Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score for Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AND after 4 months of usage they took my score down 6 points over night for no reason raising my cost 50$+ per month, then as I continue to average well above that score the score remains the same. AND after my 6 month period they're increasing it another $50+ per month, so in 2 month period I will see a 100$ increase, while my driving habits have not changed :)

And that, my friends, is why I will NEVER sign-up for any of these GPS-tracking insurance plans. Because the companies who offer them can use ANYTHING as an excuse to jack up your rates, at any time, for any reason.
Zero recourse.

Or just change your driving behavior if your score is low. The whole point of safety score is to incentivise and train you to be safer.

Safer? Or dumber?
Driving below the speed limit, and not keeping up with the flow of traffic is the OPPOSITE of safer.

My score has been consistently 97-100 and Tesla calls me an Elite Plus driver for my insurance. I live in CA, I drive about 1000 miles per month, and my premium is $113 for a MSLR.
It has been my experience theat GEICO has ZERO interest in competitively pricing insurance for Teslas. When I switched, my premium was $7200.00 per year!

I live in NJ, a very expensive insurance market (only slightly less pricey than NYC).
Just renewed with Plymouth Rock for $688/year ($57.33/month) for TM3P.

YMMV,
a

And that, my friends, is why I will NEVER sign-up for any of these GPS-tracking insurance plans. Because the companies who offer them can use ANYTHING as an excuse to jack up your rates, at any time, for any reason.
Zero recourse.

Safer? Or dumber?
Driving below the speed limit, and not keeping up with the flow of traffic is the OPPOSITE of safer.

I live in NJ, a very expensive insurance market (only slightly less pricey than NYC).
Just renewed with Plymouth Rock for $688/year ($57.33/month) for TM3P.

YMMV,
a
Nobody said drive below the speed limit but if the flow of traffic is 100mph that is also not the safest thing to do. The speed limit plus or minus 5mph and adjusting for the weather conditions is.

Does anyone know if I have to sign up for Tesla insurance and pay for it to see the safety score?
If I understand your question correctly that you want to see a safety score, but don't want their insurance, then the answer is no you don't have to sign up for insurance to see the score, BUT you do have to request entry for FSD also assuming you have that capability on your car. Even then it will be short lived because if you get into the beta, the score will go away. I guess my question is WHY do you want the safety score?

Reactions: clydeiii
I often get forward collision warnings because of parked cars in my neighborhood. Not certain these are valid warnings. I’m not confident the safety score will accurately evaluate my insurance pricing/safety.
I had not experienced this phantom forward collision warning until yesterday when I was on a country road driving myself, in my lane, the oncoming car in the opposite direction in their lane, and a forward collision warning went off for no reason and dropped my score. 🤷‍♀️

The safety score is a 30 days weighted average sliding window. So if you have a good day 100 x 120 miles, followed by a bad day 80 x 120 miles, once the good day passed the 30 days window then your score is going to drop. If you keep a journal of your daily score then you can easily figure out what it will be.

In order to keep a high score, use AP 100% of the time, I saved 70% of premium with 100. It’s almost a year now, I discovered my senses are numbed and in couple of situations I found myself worrying my score and tried to re-engage the stupid AP and at the same time trying to maintain safety which is dangerous. Plus, AP really takes away the joy of driving. I am still debating whether I should lower my score to get some of my sanity back rather than lock myself in this AP only mode. After all, a high score doesn’t mean you are a good driver, it only means you know how to game the system.
Do you know if they consider non-driving days in the calculation of the score? Also, do they round up or down?

In the past 30 days, I drove on 15 days and had the following scores:
98 X 1 day = 98
99 X 3 days = 297
100 X 11 days = 1100

The average of those comes to 99.66 if I average it across 15 days. My app shows a Safety Score of 99 instead of 100.

Do you know if they consider non-driving days in the calculation of the score? Also, do they round up or down?

98 X 1 day = 98
99 X 3 days = 297
100 X 11 days = 1100

The average of those comes to 99.66 if I average it across 15 days. My app shows a Safety Score of 99 instead of 100.
Every day is counted but it doesn’t matter. If you take the (score x miles) for each day and sum it up for the past 30 days then divided by sum of miles driven for the past 30 days, then you will get the score, rounding at .6. There are various online calculator if you google it.

Reactions: bhzmark
Every day is counted but it doesn’t matter. If you take the (score x miles) for each day and sum it up for the past 30 days then divided by sum of miles driven for the past 30 days, then you will get the score, rounding at .6. There are various online calculator if you google it.
Thank you. These are the times when you wish Tesla would provide a desktop browser based access to all the data they show on the app.

I often get forward collision warnings because of parked cars in my neighborhood. Not certain these are valid warnings. I’m not confident the safety score will accurately evaluate my insurance pricing/safety.
I get a FCW almost every day I drive due to street parked cars on mildly curved residential streets in my neighborhood tripping the alert, even when driving at 15/20mph in zone where the speed limit is 30.

I get a FCW almost every day I drive due to street parked cars on mildly curved residential streets in my neighborhood tripping the alert, even when driving at 15/20mph in zone where the speed limit is 30.
This vision only thing has gaps, I got a FCW yesterday when following from a safe distance, the work cargo truck make a right turn into the business parking lot and it thinks I am going to hit it … not in a million years!

Some days when the stars are not aligned in your favor, you also get to see this

00187D04-7897-4505-A47E-A1580A353B0A.jpeg

98 X 1 day = 98
99 X 3 days = 297
100 X 11 days = 1100

probably rounding off in their benefit

This vision only thing has gaps, I got a FCW yesterday when following from a safe distance, the work cargo truck make a right turn into the business parking lot and it thinks I am going to hit it … not in a million years!
Yup. The way I see it working is if there is an object ahead of you and if the distance between you two is decreasing, and you continue to go the same speed or even accelerate, then it triggers an FCW. In such situations, take the foot off of the accelerator pedal and that takes care of the FCW.

You definitely should not get dinged for forward collision warnings or unsafe following if you are in autopilot because the computer is driving. Check this out

I had a Forward Collision Warning while Autopilot was engaged. Will my Safety Score be impacted?
No. The Safety Score formula ignores any events (not just Forward Collision Warnings) that occur while Autopilot is engaged (including 3 seconds after the Autopilot is disengaged) and appropriately utilized. This does not include Forced Autopilot Disengagement.

I've had Tesla auto insurance for about 9 months now and didn't know that being in Autopilot (AP), for the most part, would not affect my safety score. In fact, I have been disengaging from AP sometimes at freeway speeds (75MPH) when I felt I was getting too close to the care in front of me--I think I have it set at 6 car lengths. Also, when I saw traffic in front of me slowing down, I would disengage from AP and proactively apply the brakes myself more gradually and sooner than AP would start slowing me down because I believed that I would get penalized for hard braking if I just let AP do its thing.

However, what you are saying is to let AP do its thing and not worry about how it would affect my safety score---correct? Also, in stop-and-go traffic, whether on surface streets or even on the freeway, as it sometimes happens, just stay in AP and I should be okay?

You definitely should not get dinged for forward collision warnings or unsafe following if you are in autopilot because the computer is driving. Check this out

I had a Forward Collision Warning while Autopilot was engaged. Will my Safety Score be impacted?
No. The Safety Score formula ignores any events (not just Forward Collision Warnings) that occur while Autopilot is engaged (including 3 seconds after the Autopilot is disengaged) and appropriately utilized. This does not include Forced Autopilot Disengagement.

I've had Tesla auto insurance for about 9 months now and didn't know that being in Autopilot (AP), for the most part, would not affect my safety score. In fact, I have been disengaging from AP sometimes at freeway speeds (75MPH) when I felt I was getting too close to the care in front of me--I think I have it set at 6 car lengths. Also, when I saw traffic in front of me slowing down, I would disengage from AP and proactively apply the brakes myself more gradually and sooner than AP would start slowing me down because I believed that I would get penalized for hard braking if I just let AP do its thing.

However, what you are saying is to let AP do its thing and not worry about how it would affect my safety score---correct? Also, in stop-and-go traffic, whether on surface streets or even on the freeway, as it sometimes happens, just stay in AP and I should be okay?

Is it true that a non-driving day has no affect on one's safety score?
Correct, it is the 30 days weighted average. A day of 0 x 0 / (x + 0) has no impact on the final results. Using AP on both highway and city will not be dinged. I maintained 99-100 over a year with almost exclusive AP usage, the only time I got 99 is because it got dinged while I am not using AP - it doesn’t mean it drives better than me but it just the way to game the system, the downside is you will be numbed, took away the joy of driving, and potentially dangerous when a real emergency arrives and you got so used to trust the system.

Yes, no miles driven on AP count against score. You should 100% drive on AP as much as possible. It's like you're being given miles with a automatic score of 100 when on AP. It's amazing. I am on AP/FSDb 95% of the time and can trivially maintain score of 99.

Your policy has been transitioned to Safety Score Beta V1.2. Some of the key updates include:
  • A more accurate assessment of your future collision risk, based on over 8 Billion miles of driving data
  • A Late Night Driving Safety Factor, to encourage planning your trips during times when risk of collision is lower
  • A Trip View of all your trips, indicating when events occurred that impacted your Safety Score