Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score - Probably Will Fail!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll probably flunk their test.

I'm commonly on tight canyon roads and get constant false collision warnings. I constantly thinks I'm going to hit cars that parked when I'm nowhere close. It's bad enough that I've considered turning off the feature because it gets annoying to constantly have that loud screech of a beep inside the car.

I live in L.A. Where if you don't follow closely, people cut you off constantly. I never get the collision warnings under those circumstances, but, if it wants you to be 3 seconds behind the car in front of you, I'll flunk with flying colors because that's an eternity on L.A. freeways.

Fortunately, I never get AP disengagements. So I pass on that one.

Probably good on hard braking too as I always one-pedal drive.

But, aggressive turning? Again, lots of canyon roads. They're fun cars to drive. I'm certainly not squealing my tires by any means, but is it over 0.49g? Probably. I'm also not one that believes in slamming on the brakes in front of people so I can make a right turn. Out of courtesy for those behind me, I generally do enter corners as quickly as possible so as not to obstruct traffic behind me. Again, not squealing tires or anything, but certainly quicker than most that choose to stop in the lane, before merging to the right to make the turn. I always try to get out of the way of the cars behind me BEFORE slowing down. Also ensures that I don't get rear-ended. So which way is safer, making other's constantly hit their brakes for me to I can enter turns slower, or get out of the way and be sure I don't get hit from behind?

Will be interesting to see what my score is. As of now, no score is showing.

Yeah, the only forward collision warnings I get are when a person is completing a turn off of the road, has cleared my lane, is hundreds of feet in front of me, and I start accelerating again. AP isn't exactly perfect yet, for sure...

I had an AP disconnect and didn’t get a ding….

Attachments

• A05E6B54-3FC3-4512-B5AA-F81A6DDB6D5A.png
    A05E6B54-3FC3-4512-B5AA-F81A6DDB6D5A.png
    239.2 KB · Views: 102
When I spent $10,000 on FSD, on my last three cars, didn't know I had to pass a driving test to be able to use the feature I purchased!!! Do I get a refund if I suck as a driver and can't pass their test?? LOL

Isn't the point of FSD to make driving safer? That's how Elon promotes it anyway. So, wouldn't it be better for the bad drivers to be the ones who get it?

Sounds backwards to me!

When I spent $10,000 on FSD, on my last three cars, didn't know I had to pass a driving test to be able to use the feature I purchased!!! Do I get a refund if I suck as a driver and can't pass their test?? LOL

Isn't the point of FSD to make driving safer? That's how Elon promotes it anyway. So, wouldn't it be better for the bad drivers to be the ones who get it?

Sounds backwards to me!
I think this is just to make the regulators happy.

Reactions: WhiteWi

Sounds backwards to me!
Just for early beta. They can‘t afford any bad press.

When do we get the score? Driven 3 times since getting the update and just says in queue. No score in app.
If you have an iPhone, it is a new item on the main screen on your Tesla phone app. No score in the car. Not available for Android phones yet unless you download the Tesla App 4.1 "beta" from APK Mirror. Note: Tesla, Inc. will not support the APK Mirror "beta" app. When Tesla issues the real 4.1 version for Android, I suggest you uninstall the "beta" app if you installed it, and then reinstall the Tesla app from Tesla through the Android Play Store. While the "beta" is probably OK and safe, it is not provided through normal app channels, and could be unsafe. Use at your own risk.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: croman
My worst safety score is on "Hard Braking". I drove 10 miles, and never pressed the brake pedal to stop except once, and it certainly was very easy. It seems the app will ding you for hard regenerative braking? I did go down a long, steep hill towards the river. Never touched the brake, but the regen was slowing me down very well.

My worst safety score is on "Hard Braking". I drove 10 miles, and never pressed the brake pedal to stop except once, and it certainly was very easy. It seems the app will ding you for hard regenerative braking? I did go down a long, steep hill towards the river. Never touched the brake, but the regen was slowing me down very well.
There are going to be many, many, many complaints on how it rates you. Per Tesla's data, regenerative braking is supposed to be improve your rating. But, clearly there are going to be issues and people will be unhappy with how they are rated as drivers. Naturally, most will disagree if their rated low in one category or another. Tesla loves opening a new can of worms and certainly did so with this. There will be threads for days of all the complaints!

Reactions: MountainRatMat
There are going to be many, many, many complaints on how it rates you. Per Tesla's data, regenerative braking is supposed to be improve your rating. But, clearly there are going to be issues and people will be unhappy with how they are rated as drivers. Naturally, most will disagree if their rated low in one category or another. Tesla loves opening a new can of worms and certainly did so with this. There will be threads for days of all the complaints!
It is what it is, I suppose. I am glad I don't have Tesla Insurance if they use this flawed rating system. I don't like Progressive, and other insurers monitoring tools either. My driving record and lack of accidents speaks for itself. The nannie recorders just capture data out of context. Hard braking could be very safe driving in many circumstances.

OK, got my first score. As expected, the "Unsafe Following" was triggered! What's sad is the fact that I purposely made sure to leave A LOT of extra distance between me and the cars I was behind, yet STILL got dinged. I guess maybe they want you to stay a 1/2 mile behind the car in front. Based on how Nav on AP works, I guess that makes sense. The only time I got close to anther car in front is when I had it on AP and it changed lanes (on its own with Nav on AP) and got behind another car and it about gave me whiplash as it jerked back and forth trying to figure out where it wanted to go. If FSD is anything like that, It'll scare the crap out of me!!

Reactions: Wol747 and MTOman
I didn't even read the thread, but you guys have to really start thinking of why it's set up this way. It's not about you it's about TRAINING FSD. They don't ding you if you have it on Autopilot/FSD because you (the trainer) take over if anything is amiss and they now have DATA (what they need) to train the system to be even better.

What Tesla is evaluating is not you as a driver, but if you are suitable trainer for the system.

When FSD is ready, everyone who paid can have it. It is only the beta testing that is limited. And with good reason. Tesla needs to keep the beta program accident free. So far, the FSD beta has not had one accident. And if you have Autopilot turned on, you are not penalized. See Safety Score for details.

Reactions: gcsutton